RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Information on this RCBS .475/400 bullet?

Boolit Master

Information on this RCBS .475/400 bullet?

I think this is an RCBS .475-inch, 400-grain bullet. The web site is not functional for me.

What is the mold identification number? Is the mold still made? Is the mold available if not still made?

Please describe how well the bullet functions in .480 Ruger Super Redhawk. Also, if possible, how this bullet shape and weight compares with other plain-base bullets in its weight class.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

That sure looks like the 400Rcbs .476. I use the boolit in my FA83 475Linebaugh and really like it. Some guys have said it will "jump" crimp but they must not be putting much crimp on them, cause I've never had trouble even with very hot loads.

Without going custom this is your best bet unless you want a *** Lee 2cav.

Grafs and son or midwayusa usually have the mould in-stock. I suggest Grafs because of the shipping.
    Last edited by freedom475; 12-26-2007 at 03:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    Man, that would make a nice light bullet plinking load for my 475 Gibbs.

Rich

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by freedom475 View Post
    That sure looks like the 400Rcbs .476. I use the boolit in my FA83 475Linebaugh and really like it. Some guys have said it will "jump" crimp but they must not be putting much crimp on them, cause I've never had trouble even with very hot loads.

Without going custom this is your best bet unless you want a *** Lee 2cav.

Grafs and son or midwayusa usually have the mould in-stock. I suggest Grafs because of the shipping.
    Both companies list an RCBS 476-400-SWC single-cavity mold. I cannot tell whether it is the bullet in the previous graphic.

Since it probably is the bullet mold, I have several questions.

1. How do currently made RCBS single-cavity molds compare in quality with Ballisti-Cast molds?

2. Crimp groove, for SRH .480 Ruger, yields what overall length of cartridge?

3. Please compare its shape with comparable weight bullets from BearTooth, Ballisti-Cast [molds], and other. What I'm asking is whether this bullet shape is close to delivering optimum combination of penetration and large wound channel. Since it appears to be a plain-base bullet rather than gas check user, please disregard that difference -- for me, it's a benefit.

4. The advertised throw diameter is .476 inch. What is casting alloy that throws this O.D.?
    5. You mention a Lee *** Lee two-cavity mold. What is this?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Yes, the RCBS 400 grain SWC shoots very well for me in the 480 Ruger. For details see:

http://www.lasc.us/480Ruger.htm

RCBS single cavity moulds are very well made and will last a lifetime. This bullet will deliver all the penetration you could ever want for hunting in North America, and with that nice big meplat, the wound channel will be large and leaky (just like all of the big-bore Keith-inspired SWCs). OAL runs about 1.714" for me. I cast with what amounts to WW alloy with about 2% tin added and as I recall these guys drop from the blocks at about .477".

The Lee bullet is a good design and shoots very well in my 480, but Lee 2 cavity moulds are not built very solidly, and don't last forever. The RCBS mould is much better built.
    Glen

I think you will be very happy with the RCBS mould, It does a very good job on game. Shot a cow elk and a nice mule deer with it this year. I used a light-load (1050fps) to try and recover the boolits from game. Penitration and killing power was more than ample. The elk was shot head-on in the brisckott, bollit was recovered in the inside loin back by the hip. This was a ACWW.

The boolit design has a large/long nose I think mine measures about .410 crimp-to-nose, but I see on the link Glen posted they list it at .430. I have to cut my 475linebaugh brass from 1.400 down to 1.380 in order to get the OAL to fit my FA but it is worth it.

The boolit makes great cast soft-points (Bruce-B) and with the large nose you can put a lot of pure lead out front for perfect expantion.

I posted a pic of the deer and recovered SP in the "Hunting with CB's" under the title "Freedom475's Buck and Boolit"

The Lee 400gr is a nice design but lacks in lube capacity and quality of mould.

Go with the RCBS SWC, you will be glad you did. I can't compare to the other mould you listed as I have never used them.