Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1972 Winchester 30-30 Value ?

Well I hope someone chimes in with some Trigger information. But I do have a bastard file and a few hammers .

And I will even admit this. After all was said and done and it was together guess what I forgot lol. I forgot the darn firing pin lol. With luck I did not have to tear it all the way down again to put the Firing Pin in lol. And just an FYI to remove and or replace the firing pin on the 94 just remove the screw window and on the other side of the action there is a small hole opposite the screw window and push the pin through with a small punch or finish nail. That will enable you to replace the firing pin or put one in you forgot in the first place lol.

What is funny is that most of my life I have heard and read how hard these old 94's are to take down and that was the reason that most clean the barrel from the front instead of the breach. After tearing 94 Winchester down which was not nearly as easy as a Marlin and not something I would do in the field I see no reason to clean the barrel from the muzzle. Besides since allot of internal parts become external parts in operation of the Winchester it gives you a good chance to clean the moving parts as well. But that is just my thinking and as normal I could be way off base.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 03-22-2014 at 03:20 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Grand Master

I've detail stripped very few 94's because at most they need a quick spray when cleaning the bore. I clean my 94's from the muzzle, lever side up so that whatever gunk the patches don't hold onto will not drop into the moving parts.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Sorry, not much help with the trigger. Mine are all pretty good so haven't had to explore that. Hope a bump will help. Wonder if our Alaskan friends will ever get interested in Winchesters.
    This Alaskan friend has plenty of interest in winchesters, but the marlins come up at a price I can afford much more often. lol Can't help with the trigger though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    Well I was thinking some 4 Ought Steel wool and oil to remove any rust? And take it down for a good cleaning.

Now what do I use on the Wood?
    0000 steel wool and Johnson's Paste Wax

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't strip the stock. Just get some Tru-Oil and put several coats on it plus 0000 steel wool between coats. I've seen linseed oil bubble up when it gets wet and you don't remove the moisture. Tru-Oil seems to dry pretty hard. I've used it on my AK wood stock set as well as my M1 Garand.

As others have said, just remove any rust off the receiver and leave it as is. Guys pay good money to get 'em to look that way. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master
    As far as its receiver's bluing. You have posted a pictured of a rifle having. The last year Winchester used a bluing process called Black Chrome Plate. I've enclosed a link if you care to check out those couple different bluing's process's Winchester used trying to curb manufacturing costs back in those late sixty's and early seventy's times.

http://www.dulite.com/dulite_94_win_oxide.html

Boolit Buddy
    I also have a 1972 m94 in 30-30. Mine has more of the receiver bluing but yours looks better!

I have also taken mine down - once. The actions on fixed breech rifles just don't get dirty enough to have any effect on function. I probably caused more wear on the pins and pin holes than 50 years of grime would cause.

If you are worried about the muzzle crown, you might try a bore snake. Will the bore be pristine? No, but the barrel will be fouled after two shots anyway. I find that, after a hard cleaning with solvent, cleaning rod, and chore boy pads, mine takes 5-7 cast bullets to settle back to zero, before that its all over the map! Why not just cut to the chase and leave some carbon in there?

As far as loads go, I have good success with the rcbs 150-fn gc and the Lyman 311291 gc, both work well over loads of 19-21gr H4198 and should give velocities between 1600 and 1800 fps.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Any functional .30 WCF lever gun is worth that much. There is one of the same vintage and general condition in a pawn shop here. Somebody tack welded a sling swivel to the forend band and they still want over $400.00 for it!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    As far as its receiver's bluing. You have posted a pictured of a rifle having. The last year Winchester used a bluing process called Black Chrome Plate. I've enclosed a link if you care to check out those couple different bluing's process's Winchester used trying to curb manufacturing costs back in those late sixty's and early seventy's times.

http://www.dulite.com/dulite_94_win_oxide.html
    I have a 1969 vintage 94 in 32 Spl, black chrome still looks quite good. Always wondered what it was called. Wood was a little dry so I renewed it with some Birchwood Casey. A few screws needed straightening and bluing. Came out pretty good, if I do say so my self.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

When Winchester went out of business, the prices of 94's like this one skyrocketed. For years, used 94's were available at the traditional $100 or less. One old timer once told me that most cosmetically ugly 30-30's weren't bad guns because they'd probably been carried a heck of a lot more than they'd been shot. His reasoning was based on his opinion that 99 percent of 30-30 people didn't handload, and were too cheap to buy more than a box or two of factory ammo every 3 or 4 years or so. After thinking about it, I figured that he may have had a point there. Lots of those beat-up looking Winchesters have decent looking bores, and for years they've served as dependable truck-guns.

Boolit Master
    with new jap 94's with stupid rebound trigger and safety having msrp at $1000+ , the 94 in photo looks like it still wears original sights and barrel and tube blue looks pretty good, i'd snatch it up fast for 250. i paid 350 for a mint 94 ranger for my daughter 2 years ago and the ranger is far inferior

Farmbif I did pick up the Rifle on the 18th as stated on the first page of this thread lol. After I get some reloading components and mold I will start a new thread.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123