Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating ain't worth it.

Boolit Master
    I haven't loaded any heavy loads yet. Today I did shoot my first pc boolits today. I used the dry tumble method with powders by the pound super durable wet blue and I have never, ever shot a cleaner .38 special load, not ever.
    The accuracy of the load was at least as good if not better than my standard .358 sized bac lubed boolit.
    Before I ventured into this I read, read, read, read, and re-read the simply daunting threads. I advise everyone do the same before diving in.
    And thanks to all those pioneers out there who have shared their knowledge.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Heavy.......there are many on here that, as I, have spend many hours playing, shooting, messing with this technology, both ESPC and DT. The combined efforts of those many have yielded a viable and valuable alternative to grease lubes.

I, too, thank the many that have toiled over hot ovens (sounds like my wife!) lo these many months and contributed their failures and successes to the common knowledge that is imparted within the threads on this site.

Here's to many more pleasant lead-free days at the range!

banger

I do feel rather stupid now. I probably should have borrowed a computer and read up a little more before trying anything. I will try to get my hands on some better powder and try again.

I've had some struggles with pc streaks/build up but even not properly cured pc didn't leave lead, lol don't give up so easy.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I do feel rather stupid now. I probably should have borrowed a computer and read up a little more before trying anything. I will try to get my hands on some better powder and try again.
    Don't sweat it too much man. PC is a learning process for everyone. My first batch came out looking so bad I ended up throwing it right back in the furnace. Second batch came out marginally better and so I decided to load it. They shot (not very well but I think that was the lack of GCs on my bullets) and didn't lead my barrel. Last 2 batches have come out looking superb and I'm now awaiting some gas checks to get started on this latest batch and see how they shoot. Keep us updated once you get a proper powder and give it a shot. If you don't already know, some chore boy (make sure it's the pure copper stuff) on an old bore brush does wonders at getting that leading out. If you still have leading mess around with your sizing (I'd guess if they are leading still it's because they are too big), but I doubt you will have problems once you get some proven powder going down that bore.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    ...PC is a learning process for everyone...
    Yes it is. Even with help from the Pioneers of Powdercoat Research (thank you all).

My first try was with solvent, wasn't too bad so I tried another batch,
    turned out nasty. Then read about DT, works great (with HF red).

Funny thing is I'm using a peanut can, which is cardboard with a thin aluminum lining.
    So I wonder about static being the main attraction between boolit and powder,
    seems as though the foil lining would conduct, and remove the static charge?
    Unless the cardboard insulates the interior?

I'm just glad it works, only takes a few seconds of tumbling by hand to get a good
    even coat. And they shoot great!

BS Jr- probably need to WD those or wait a while before shooting in that load. Cooking anneals the lead. If 40 gr 335 in 308 doesn't lead, your load won't either.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by a.squibload View Post
    Yes it is. Even with help from the Pioneers of Powdercoat Research (thank you all).

My first try was with solvent, wasn't too bad so I tried another batch,
    turned out nasty. Then read about DT, works great (with HF red).

Funny thing is I'm using a peanut can, which is cardboard with a thin aluminum lining.
    So I wonder about static being the main attraction between boolit and powder,
    seems as though the foil lining would conduct, and remove the static charge?
    Unless the cardboard insulates the interior?

I'm just glad it works, only takes a few seconds of tumbling by hand to get a good
    even coat. And they shoot great!
    I think the Al coating is holding the static charge similar to a Leyden jar of old. We are not talking about a lot of static here! Just enough to hold the powder on the lead. But that Al coating will start wear thru shortly from all the banging and swirling of your boolits!

I would consider enjoying some nice deserts with Coolwhip topping...........and then have yourself a #5 plastic container as the result! Polypro plastic is almost indestructible. And then when it DOES break, you get to have some more deeeeeeelishous deserts!~!~!~!~!~!

banger

Boolit Master
    Amazing what some people will do to get their 15 minutes.

Boolit Master

In OP you said you were using a Lee 452-300
    in post 20 you said you sized them to your standard .454
    I've only been doing this since the early 60's but not sure how you can size a bullet larger than it cast.
    course, I admit I don't know everything
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I've only been doing this since the early 60's but not sure how you can size a bullet larger than it cast.
    The mould is a lee 452-300. But it drops at .455".

Boolit Master
    Uh, peanuts, not peanut oil (???).

Dangit, guess I'll have to get some coolwhip,

and PIE!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    What's on your fingers after you eat that greasy stuff?
    Peanut powder!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I good coated Pc'ed bullet will gain 001-.002 in Dia over its cast dia ..
    I have a 314 mod that drops an actual 313 bullet .. I ES powdercoat heavy and size to 316 .. so far it works really well
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    What's on your fingers after you eat that greasy stuff? When you fail after setting the conditions for failure I can't see crowing about it.
    Calm down.

1. You are not paying attention or you have me confused with
    someone else, my PC coating comes out fine.

2. There's a new thing out called "soap", maybe you should.
    try it sometime. Would you use a coolwhip container without
    washing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I good coated Pc'ed bullet will gain 001-.002 in Dia over its cast dia ..
    I have a 314 mod that drops an actual 313 bullet .. I ES powdercoat heavy and size to 316 .. so far it works really well
    My mould drops quite a bit oversize at .455" so after PC they were .457"

In Remembrance

Powder coat enthusiasts are TOUCHY. Jr. you kicked their sacred cow, or they are just rude by nature. Chill fellows. Teach in a teachable moment. Don't alienate.

Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Powder coat enthusiasts are TOUCHY. Jr. you kicked their sacred cow, or they are just rude by nature. Chill fellows. Teach in a teachable moment. Don't alienate.
    +1 this is a place of learning.
    Krav Maga Instructor
    Defensive Tactics Instructor for Public Safety Personnel
    Empty Handed Gun Disarming Instructor

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - infantry journal

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DLCTEX View Post
    Yeah, this thread was extremely hostile for some reason. Not that we don't occasionally see people who are loathe to think PC can't work (for some reason) be somewhat rude or claim people are lying about results or whatever, but this thread turned into a grade A poo-slinging fest.

That said, the OP did jump to conclusions, but there are established conventions with dry tumble PC and it just so happened that the items he chose to do it with just don't work. Although I'm still not sure how his bullets appear so glossy, but perhaps it is the light.

Love Life
    I thought his bullets looked very good. I'm not sure how the OP jumped to conclusions. He pc'd, it failed, he drew the conclusion that it wasn't worth it to him. No jumping involved anywhere.

I hope that on his next go around that he uses a different (approved?) powder with much better results.

I've tried my hand at many of these coatings and only one is really worth my time, however that is not what this thread was about.

In starting with playing with coatings I needed the coating to accomplish a couple things. Give me the same accuracy as speed green and Lotak hard, give me the lead free awesomeness of speed green and Lotak, no smoke, clean handling, and be very easy to apply and work...everytime.

Try a couple methods BS Junior, but try to keep it cheap. I really like the $30.00 Oster toaster oven from Wally World. An extra $4 got me a 4 year warranty.

Once you get your temp figured out, never touch the knob again. Just adjust your cooking time.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast