MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: .38 Service Load Saeco #390/Lyman 358311

Boolit Buddy

.38 Service Load Saeco #390/Lyman 358311

Anyone interested in a .38 Service Load boolit?

Either a Saeco #390 or Lyman 358311 clone in a nice Swede 5 cavity aluminum mold?

Have it cast about .359 with WW.

Jim
    Jim

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my view the LRN bullets are only good for punching paper and for nostalgia. For field or service use there are much better bullets out there.

A full charge wadcutter of traditional shape which positions most of the nose outside the case, leaving room for heavy powder charges, is a good choice in a sturdy revolver. I like a heavier bullet in .38 Special. My usual carry is a Ruger Police Service Six with 4" barrel, which digests a steady diet of +P equivalent handloads without issues.

The Accurate 36-180H shown below weighs 180 grains in wheelweights, gives an overall cartridge length of 1.55" when crimped in .38 Special brass. It closely mimicks the shape of the old Modern Bond flatnbosed bullets.

This design is a hard hitter which feeds more smoothly in a lever action than an SWC. Use published data for the #358429.

Attachment 99656
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-16-2014 at 12:24 PM.

The old RN 155-160 grain 38 Special service bullets when loaded with 3.5/Bulleye will shoot to the sights of most older Smith and Wesson and Colt service revolvers. It is a very accurate load for target shooting and plinking.

However as noted, it is a poor choice for anything with flesh, blood and nerves.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

I have thought about cutting that bullet, I have a little 1 cavity that casts large enough to use for plinkers in my 35 Rem. We could cut one in ~6-8 weeks

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The old RN 155-160 grain 38 Special service bullets when loaded with 3.5/Bulleye will shoot to the sights of most older Smith and Wesson and Colt service revolvers. It is a very accurate load for target shooting and plinking. However as noted, it is a poor choice for anything with flesh, blood and nerves.
    That is quite true. The #359429 and similar bullets DO shoot high in fixed sight revolvers, however, if you are into 100-yard gong plinking with your wheelgun, they are just the ticket. A charge of 3.0 grains of Bullseye is a standard-pressure load useable in any sound .38 Special, the 3.5 grain Bullseye charge, common for the 158-160 grain bullets, when applied to the heavier #359429 or the Accurate #36-180H is +P, but shoots very well in suitably sturdy revolvers. A charge of 10 grs. of #2400 at 1.55" cartridge OAL gives 880 fps from a 4-inch barrel and is a good full charge load in .38 Special brass which approximates the old .34/44 High Velocity rounds for use in N-frame .38 Specials, the Colt New Service and .357 guns only.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-16-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Banned

Here are 2 images I made up, one is the standard 358311 and the other is a HP version I can do in a cramer style mold. Like I said, 6 to 8 weeks till they are cut and shipped

Boolit Buddy
    I love this bullet (358311) I have a 4 cavity and 2 2-cavities. I was going to send one of the 2 cavities off to Erik to get hollow pointed. My smith model 15 loves them and my colt diamond back. the Mihec 359640 shoots just as good but I love shooting a classic boolit out of a classic revolver. There are slight variations of this boolit. I might be interested in this boolit. I am like outpost75 I use this to hit gongs at a distant. I prefer it over a SWC or HP for that. 3.5 gr of bullseye over about any boolit in the 38 seems to shoot great.

Bardo

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    The old RN 155-160 grain 38 Special service bullets when loaded with 3.5/Bulleye will shoot to the sights of most older Smith and Wesson and Colt service revolvers. It is a very accurate load for target shooting and plinking.
    This is the use I had in mind for this one. I've got a Model 14-3 and kind of like classic boolits for most things.
    Last edited by 101VooDoo; 03-16-2014 at 02:52 PM.
    Jim

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post

Here are 2 images I made up, one is the standard 358311 and the other is a HP version I can do in a cramer style mold. Like I said, 6 to 8 weeks till they are cut and shipped
    Looks like just the ticket. How many cavities can you fit into a mould?
    Jim

Banned

6 is max for that but 4 is max for a cramer

Boolit Buddy

Six would be ideal.

How many do you need to make it work?

Jim
    Jim

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 101VooDoo View Post
    Six would be ideal.

How many do you need to make it work?

Jim
    15 is where I like to be, the more the merrier though.

I would be interested in a 4 cavity Cramer. Any chance of adding GC's to 2 of the cavities for the magnum?
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Master
    I'm interested. TJ

Boolit Master

Hmmm I like the 358311HP any chance you could square up the lube groves? I think you said 4cavity is your maximum with the HP,so I'll jump in for a 4cavity
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    I would be in for a 4 Cav hp. Still on the fence about pb vs gc vs combo in one mold. squared up lube grooves would get my vote too.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd be interested but not yet committed for a 4 cavity Cramer HP 2gc'ed. Commitment depends on price and timing. I'm tapped out at the moment!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Definitely interested.

Boolit Mold
    The 358311 HP with squared up lube grooves, I'll jump in for a 4 cavity with GC if available Thanks, EEZZ