Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep control of your semi-auto handgun brass?

Boolit Master

How do you keep control of your semi-auto handgun brass?

I went through a phase - let's say 1998 to 2006ish - of high-volume semi-auto shooting. This was the heyday of cheap imported ammo and Winchester white box value packs at wal-mart. I'd shoot almost every day, sweep my brass up once in a while, and.......haul it to the dump. If a few cases got lost, I didn't care; if they got stepped on or lost in leaves, I didn't care. With steel-cased ammo, I often didn't even bother picking them up, and they quickly rusted away.

Fast forward to present day. As soon as I eased back into reloading my mind drifted back to shooting 1911s and other semi-autos, so several weeks ago I got .45 ACP dies, a mold, and away I went. I've ran into a little problem, though:

I can't keep up with my brass. There are two main places that I shoot, and neither have concrete or gravel. This isn't a huge problem shooting from a bench; I can sit a big open box on the bench and eject brass right into the box. But I don't want to shoot pistols from a bench.

Today I caught myself pulling the trigger and stopping to watch where an empty case landed. I can't concentrate on shooting if I'm worried about where my empties are going.

Short of paving the range, what are my options here?

We hang a tarp between two trees and shoot right next to it. All the brass ends up in a nice pile right at your feet.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

I use a tarp on the ground
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Tarp works. And they're light!

Boolit Master
    Prayer. I feel your pain! Probably another reason I like revolvers so much.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Graco, a company in Utah makes the neatest, most up to date style brass catchers I have ever seen. I ordered one of theirs yesterday. Google or Bing Graco and take a look. I had given up shooting my semi autos simply because picking up the cases was such a pain in the----everywhere. I'm almost 70 and I don't stoop or kneel easily.

Boolit Master
    A big tarp on the ground works for me too. just stand next to it.

Boolit Master

Tarp here as well, works, cheap and light.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    Tarp here as well, works, cheap and light.
    /\ Ditto and at the end of the day I just fold the tarp up with the brass inside. No need for a bucket.

Boolit Master

I relegate 2% to the brass gods and make sure that I have younger humans to police brass.

Or shoot wheelies or bolties or singleies.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Tarps, as in I need more than one because the pistol range is on a hill. I started shooting pistol in rifle block house when it's not in use. It's a lot easier to sweep them up on a concrete floor.

Boolit Buddy
    I have my own range behind the barn. I've found that carpet installers are more then happy to give you their old rugs. I use old rugs, no looking thru the grass and weeds. I like the idea of hanging a tarp between tow trees but, I would have to put in post or something instead of trees.
    BD

Boolit Bub
    We use several of these at the range for picking up brass. Works on various surfaces. The range staff don't mind having to pickup the brass.
    http://www.brassmower.com/

Boolit Master
    I own a gun range AND we have USPSA matches there. Lots of shooters, mostly semi-autos, and brass everywhere.
    Shoot, have fun, and realize you can clean up later, and will only lose a few if you search diligently.

Boolit Master

A large golfers umbrella opened up and turned upside down with the point sticking in the ground works well ! just adjust your shooting postion so the brass falls in it.

Banned
    I sold all my handheld brass tossing/losing devices and bought the rotary or break action style of brass saving devices. Not the choice for everyone, but I do not miss the autos.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a tarp but prefer my revolvers for this exact reason. Sometimes I'll shoot next to my truck and have em end up in the bed. Super easy clean up.

Boolit Master
    I saw a photo of a guy using screen doors being used to catch brass. the guy had them angled towards each other, to form a tent.

Boolit Buddy

Just buy more brass from me I also find myself doing the same thing i shoot a mag full and find myself on my hands and knees looking for ever last piece. I like the brass mower idea.

Boolit Master

I make my nephew pick it up ! Cruel I know but keeps him shootin for free and we're both happy with the arrangement lol. I think the best idea is what the guys above posted a tarp on the ground and one hanging like a curtain on ejection side. They make those brass wizards for picking them up but do not know how well they work. I would lease you my nephew but believe me tarps will be cheaper ! FB

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast