MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you keep control of your semi-auto handgun brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    I sold all my handheld brass tossing/losing devices and bought the rotary or break action style of brass saving devices. Not the choice for everyone, but I do not miss the autos.
    I now know why my grandpa preferred revolvers.

Seriously, though, I enjoy shooting my semi-autos, and I enjoy it too much to make shooting subservient to reloading. It has to be the other way around.

Guess I'll get those tarps.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    shoot next to my truck and have em end up in the bed. Super easy clean up.
    You haven't seen the bed of my truck.

Boolit Grand Master

I had no luck w/ the brass mower. It picked up more rocks than brass. When they say packed gravel they mean it. The gravel is really loose where I shoot. Now their shell sorter works great and I would not be w/out it.

Just shoot gangsta style, brass will go straight up!

With the 9mm stuff I'm not too worried. I shoot then hang around at the end of a match and pick up as much as I shot along with a few hundred more. Few bother with cleaning up their 9 or .40 brass.

On the other hand the .45acp shooters in two groups I shoot with have their brass "branded" with specific colour felt markers. I shoot often enough with one group that they even gave me a colour to use for my own .45 brass....

The tarp or other catcher is fine for a fixed range setup. But I also shoot in run n'gun matches that ensures the brass is sprayed all over. I have yet to use my .45 for that sort of event. It'll take some soul searching to risk "My Brass" in that way.....
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Love Life
    I really don't sweat it. If I get a 70% retrieval rate then all is good for me.

When I do get to go shoot I put down an old white sheet this way the brass color will be visable

Boolit Master
    I use cheap vinyl table cloths, lighter in weight, than tarps. Put the waterproof side down, white felt side up. Rocks to hold corners down----which we seem to have plenty of in Arkansas.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Start shooting a muzzleloader!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    Just shoot gangsta style, brass will go straight up!
    and i though they just wanted to look cool!!

Banned

I can't resist this! You need a brass magnet!
    I want a lead magnet too.

Waco, Geez...the tarp between trees is ingenious...I always spread a poncho on the grass and hoped for the best...with rounds like .30 Luger and .38 Super, I was searching almost into the next county! After 50+ years of playing step-N-fetch-it with my ejected empties, I've finally seen the light....thanks for the tip! Best Regards, Rod

Some guy on another forum was so sneaky he STOLE this idea about three years before I thought of it. So now I am stealing his photo to get even.

It's a Walmart collapsible laundry hamper. Cut holes in both sides and hold the pistol inside when shooting. The holes might need to be edged with duct ape to prevent raveling. If your bench is the right height this should work without cramping your shooting style.

[stolen from: https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.h...&f=42&t=283717 I think the credit goes to WarriorSoulM4]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by JHeath; 03-17-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: ommitted credit where due

Boolit Master
    Just shoot a few USPSA matches and some steel matches, 9mm brass is like dirt. All over the place. I also find 45acp small primer is easy to find as most reloaders don't like them.

Yeah, those bottom feeders are a bit troublesome concerning spent brass. Our sportsman's club has a roof over the fireing line with bench's. On the far left with the 12 and 25 yard target backers I rig a vertical tarp between the roof uprights with bungee cords. Works pretty well although a few of my .45's seem to like to toss up and over now and again. Only trouble with this is that this conceals me from other shooters and them from me and requires more range awareness to be sure. Luckily I usually shoot around 9 AM on weekdays and usually have the range to myself.

I picked up a small hand held brass catcher to use with my CZ 82 and 83. Once I got it adjusted to catches everything. My local range has lexan dividers and once the brass hit that, who knows where it will end up. Picked it up on Amazon.

Moderator Emeritus

bottom line, I don't worry about it

I don't like to be confined to one location when I'm shootin' away in the pistol pit..."Practicing tactics and maneuvers" and "shoot-a-rounds". YES, I do this when "alone" at the range.

I pickup what I can find after I'm done...tall grass and leaves and snow, in our clubs pistol pit that's in a woods. Sometimes I find more than I shot...sometimes I leave it all for someone else if snowy or rainy or otherwise miserable picking(skeeters). BUT, unless I'm working out a problem gun or load, I shoot revolver on the "miserable picking" days

PS, Last week when I was shootin the 41Mag Levergun, I spent lots more time than I wanted to picking those cases out of the slushy snow and Mud...Dang, I know I missed at least 30 or 40 cases. I bet I'll find 'em on the next visit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I finally sold my semi-autos away and bought the Colt revolvers I wanted. Now I just eject brass into the big coffee can. Life is good that way. LBS
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

I use a blue tarp on the ground

Boolit Master
    Leaf rake