Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 special

Boolit Buddy

44 special

How soft can I go with 44 special? I have more lead pipe than I do wheel weights kind of would like to use the pipe more than the wheel weights?

Boolit Grand Master
    If using traditional loads in the 750 to 900 fps range I would use 60/40 lead/wheel weights and have at it. Might even get by with 75/25.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 40:1 lead to tin in my .38 special loads. pressures are similar right?

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys

Boolit Buddy
    I tried pretty close to 50/50 already it shot fine with a lee 240 tumble lubed boolit but they left a little leading (maybe antimony wash) right as the rifling started

I wish there was an easy way to measure the bore right there I was thinking of getting my hands on a pin guage set

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    If using traditional loads in the 750 to 900 fps range I would use 60/40 lead/wheel weights and have at it. Might even get by with 75/25.
    +1 but I would add 2% tin to the COWWs before the mix with lead. That balances the antimony with the correct amount of tin for a better solution in the lead. Then when mixed with the other lead (pipe) you can avoid the probable antimony wash lukewmtdew mentions (hope no one gets excited on this thread over the non capitalization of his logon but that's how he did it......).

I also recommend a good quality softer lube such as an NRA 50/50 or Lar's BAC.

Larry Gibson

I've been working towards softer alloy for my .44 Specials myself. In fact I just traded quite a bit of linotype and type metal for pure lead.

Last December I mixed 50/50 WW/Lead and got around 9.5 Bhn which was perfect for my HP's at 950 - 1000 fps. I used all those up, mixed an identical alloy and for who knows what reason, these came out to around 11 Bhn. Re-melted the whole batch, poured off 1 lb. and added another lb. of lead which got me down to around 10 Bhn.

I'd really like to get down closer to 9 Bhn especially for my HP's.

If you keep your velocities with in reason, I don't know why you couldn't keep your bullets pretty darn soft.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    No reason why you can't go soft and still get good results. I've used 3-1 lead to wheel weights with a dash of 50-50 bar solder for my Special loads across the board, 38, 44, even 45 Colt all seem to do well with minimal to no leading as long as I keep my loads on the light side. I have had excellent results with 5.0 grains of Red Dot and a 429-421 cast soft and lubed with Ben's Red in my Ruger Flattop. That is a very accurate combination, albeit not exactly super sonic.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Bullets for the 38spl, 44spl, 45acp & a 2 to 1 alloy (lead/ww) & either ben's red or 45/45/10 lube for speeds around 800/850fps. And a 50/50 mix (lead/ww) & either ben's red or 45/45/10 for p+ loads in those calibers for speeds around 900/950fps.

Larry nailed it as usual with his lube recommendation, I just happen to like to use the 45/45/10 for a tumble lube & ben's red which is a soft lube.

Banned

Im a firm believer in harder is better but i too have a ton of pure lead. What i do with alot of it is mix it with 2percent tin and 10 to 20 percent ww and water drop it. Youll end up with an alloy that is about as hard as air cooled ww and it will work at any level a 44 special is used at.

Boolit Buddy
    What does the 45/45/10 lube get you over regular lee alox?

Boolit Grand Master
    45/45/10 dries far faster. It also seems to work better as a lube. Goes on thinner too, that is a good thing.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    45/45/10 dries far faster. It also seems to work better as a lube. Goes on thinner too, that is a good thing.
    HUGE +1
    And it just flat out works.

Would you trade some WW lead for some soft lead? I need a small amount of soft/pure lead for a cap and ball black powder revolver. Would trade pound for pound WW for soft lead - we each pay shipping. Pls Pm if interested. Thanx

Boolit Buddy
    So I cast what I figured was 3 partz soft lead to one part coww I lubed and loaded them going into the case I spose they averaged .430 (right where I would have liked them) I pulled a few a week later some were coming out .426 I expand with a dillon 550 b expander plug? That measures. 426 any ideas on if I should just bump the alloy back up to 50/50 soft lead and coww or if I should keep trying to work the softer allow?

Boolit Master
    Luke - You might want to measure some as-cast and after sizing - to determine if the tight brass is having a sizing effect on them, so you know for sure what's going on. Don't presume the diameter without measuring.
    Oscar - PM sent.

Boolit Buddy
    I phrased it wrong I still had some of that batch they definitely were sized from the brass what now

Boolit Master

So I cast what I figured was 3 partz soft lead to one part coww I lubed and loaded them going into the case I spose they averaged .430 (right where I would have liked them) I pulled a few a week later some were coming out .426 I expand with a dillon 550 b expander plug? That measures. 426 any ideas on if I should just bump the alloy back up to 50/50 soft lead and coww or if I should keep trying to work the softer allow?
    You need a bigger expander plug
    or bullets hard enough to move the brass instead of the brass moving the lead.
    .426 is about standard size for jacketed bullets, I use .4295 for my .432 44 mag bullets that are about WW hardness.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Buddy
    Does dillon make a bigger expander plug?

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a oversized expander for 44spl from Buckshot on this forum. He will make them to you specs.