WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: A.C.E. 300 BLK subsonic boolit

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    I still have not had time to cast with my mold yet. Has anyone cast this bullet yet? Has anyone tried it out in the 300BLK? Hopefully this weekend or next week I'll have time to pull the pot out and try it out.
    Mine was larger than requested however after powder coating I have test chambered about 30-40 loaded rounds and they chamber in my AR, will have to test them in my sons upper. My concern was that after powder coating the nose wouldn't allow chambering. It appears it will work, even oversized.

Mine is working flawlessly. The bullets are coming out with a small amount of "flashing" around the base. I use an NOE bullet base clean up tool to remove it quickly before powder coating.

Boolit Buddy
    Just caste with mine today. Dropping 0.298 in front of the band and .309 on the front band. Guess I am going to have to learn how powider coat now!

Boolit Master
    Finally got to cast with mine tonight. Took a while to get the hang of this mold, but I cast about 10 pounds worth before it was over and done with. Size was to spec. Only thing that was really aggravating was I had a difficult time getting the mold to close back up after dumping boolits out of it. May be the handles more than the blocks. They are pretty tight in the slots. Gonna lube and size some tonight and try to load a few tomorrow and see how they shoot in the next day or two. Overall pleased with it.

Boolit Master
    Got to load and shoot a sample of the bullets I cast the other night. I first tried loading a dummy round in an as cast state (.311) Hard to chamber and had to mortar the action to get the round out. I don't have a .310 sizer so dropped it down to .309. That dummy fed out of the mag, chambered and ejected just fine so I sized several to .309 and lubed with 45-45-10. Loaded them with 1680 and seated to the crimp groove. I was able to get out this afternoon and shoot my small sample. The first few were shot basically to check stability in my 1:8 twist 300BLK barrel then I threaded on the suppressor and shot the remainder to check accuracy. I was pleasantly surprised with about an inch and a half group for 4 shots at 50 yards. The load needs tweaking to get the action to cycle and lock back on an empty mag but I was pleased. I sampled about 10 random as cast bullets and they drop at about 225 gr using the alloy that was in the pot. It had a little linotype left in it from casting some for my 416 Ruger. I imagine that if it was straight COWW it would drop pretty much as advertised. I think I'm gonna like this mold and the bullets it throws.

Oops, just realized I misspelt boolits. Too lazy to go back and redo.

Anyway, I am pleased with the results from this mold. I hope that Josh gets whatever problems he has going on straightened out and gets back to producing his molds. This ones a keeper.

Boolit Master

I shot some of these powder coated and sized to .311 in my 300 BO. about 13gr of RL7, function was perfect. Kept all in roughly an 10" circle which isn't bad considering I was using a 2" dot and a 5MOA 1x red dot scope at 100 yards. I was more testing for function. Unfortunately I did have 2 fail to chamber all the way but this was due to an mistake I made forming the brass. The shoulder wasn't pushed back far enough during the initial form and the subsequent neck turning didn't reduce the neck diameter all the way to the shoulder. 2 out of 30 failed to chamber, will be working on the brass to ensure they are all turned down properly.

Boolit Master
    Moonie, I assume you weren't shooting with that much RL7 for a subsonic load?? Never really tried RL7 in the Blk. How do you like it.

I am looking for another one of these if anyone has one they aren't using.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    Moonie, I assume you weren't shooting with that much RL7 for a subsonic load?? Never really tried RL7 in the Blk. How do you like it.
    I was not, I do not have a can so I have no need for shooting a sub load. This is the first time I've used RL7 and it works very well. I do understand RL7 will cycle at subsonic and is in the same burn range as AA1680 that I do not have easy access to.

Boolit Master
    Thanks moonie. I've got some rl7 that I may have to try when my one pound of 1680 I stumbled onto last year runs out. I'm liking this mold so far. I've been having a little trouble getting the blocks to close back correctly when casting, but think it may be the handles are too tight in the slots. Its not bad enough for me to really worry about though just yet.

I've been working on a load and have about decided on one. The other day I was shooting mostly for function and wound up with a 6 shot .89 inch group at 50 yards with one load. Full function and locked back on an empty mag. I've got a few more loaded up to see where I stop getting full function with the AR, but think the load I shot the other day will be the best.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112