RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Death of a Hero

Death of a Hero

Last Sunday 9 March 2014 my best friend and Indian brother died, Captain Ralph "RJ" Ward. He had a movie made after his company that many heard of "Black Hawk Down" and was the point man that was shot in the chest with an AK-47 when the Ranger's burst in to take Noriega out of Panama. He died with no fan fare, no remembrance, and was so disgusted with the way he was treated by the VA, that his last wish was to not be given a military burial because this was not the country he fought for. He was not only a decorated hero, but a devoted family man that was my brother in life bound by friendship and not blood.

I am still disgusted that my duty to work had to come instead of being at his bedside because of my assignment. I know that he understood, but the pain of not saying goodbye is shredding my insides. Guess I just needed to put this out there to pray for his wife. I now understand why Jesus raised Lazarus.
    BullFrog

The Lord is my rock and my salvation

Joel 2:28-32

Might we actually give him a full military honor from those who understand his sacrifice? There's a thing on facebook that deals with the army, and more times than not when soldiers are in need, vets especially, they usually get the mission done with excellence. I believe this man deserves recognition.
    Using Tapatalk

I'm with pretzelxx. Your friend was the definition of American, like my dad - Korean War vet gone five years now. The government bureaucrats and bleeding hearts may not understand, but many of us do. My sincere thanks to him, and you. He deserves the honor and respect of the nation he protected. My he rest easy.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by histed View Post
    I'm with pretzelxx. Your friend was the definition of American, like my dad - Korean War vet gone five years now. The government bureaucrats and bleeding hearts may not understand, but many of us do. My sincere thanks to him, and you. He deserves the honor and respect of the nation he protected. My he rest easy.
    Absolutely.

Boolit Master

Dang Bullfrog. That is one sad situation. I pray for his wife and you also. It is very hard to loose a friend that close and really hard under the circumstances you have.
    ARMY Viet-Nam 70-71

Boolit Master
    Bullfrog, my deepest and most sincere condolences to you for the loss of your friend and brother. Not only a loss to you, but to this Country, for men like your brother are the pride of those of us in America who still hold dear the ideals and principals that he and those like him have stood and still stand ready to protect.

It is both painful and embarrassing to know that, American politicians are likely more concerned about where the next lobbyist will be taking them to lunch than they are for the needs of our returning warriors.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy
    My condolences on the loss of your friend and brother. It is shameful the way many veterans are treated by our government, but rest assured that he is remembered and revered but those that count the most: his family and his brothers in arms.

327th AA INF

Boolit Grand Master

There are many unsung heroes out there, that like your friend, wonder what has become from their (and their family's) self sacrifice. May he rest in peace and be comforted that there are still people out there that respect and honor and appreciate his actions and sacrifice.

Prayers sent

Boolit Master

That is a difficult loss brother my deepest condolences. His dying wish was granted but it would be a tragedy not to honor his life and service by NOT telling his story. It may well be very cathartic for those left behind.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Hello all and thank you for the kind and encouraging words.

I speak to his wife often to keep her encouraged to move forward. My friend was a gunsmith and has quite a bit of "stuff" that we all collect over the years. She is overwhelmed and is taking my advise pertaining to "sitting on it all" and letting time pass before she looks through things. She is also determined to honor his wishes and will not have any type of memorial or military involvement. I quietly protested the non military recognition, but it was his dying wish down to his last breath.

My 50th birthday is approaching and I am certain that my wife is planning something special for me, but the void of losing RJ is making things hard daily. With that she gave me an early present to "cheer me up" and it was a picture of my planting a big kiss on his cheek and him laughing his head off. Damn I miss him. Again, thank you all for the prayers as this group of people here is quite special to me.

Bullfrog
    BullFrog

The Lord is my rock and my salvation

Joel 2:28-32