Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Remington 512 Sportmaster and 511 Scoremaster

Remington 512 Sportmaster and 511 Scoremaster

I got those old and beat up 512 Sportmaster from my late uncle many years ago which I repaired and mounted a scope on. More recently I picked up a 511 Scoremaster with a five shot box magazine in nice condition which I have never fired. The 512 is a 15 shot tubular magazine rifle with a long barrel. Very sweet shooting. The 511 differs only in the magazine. These rifles have such a good balance and feel. The 512 was accurate out to 100 yds (91m) but at 100m (109yds) the groups were opening up exponentially. Then I made a suppressor for it which really screwed with the accuracy. The baffles weren't perfectly aligned so I remade it. I also found the muzzle was badly worn so I chopped off the tip of the barrel. Thereafter it shot accurately.

Here it is with my late son, Denver shooting it.

I'm the guy in a hat coaching a youngster with a rifle I shortened for him. That's his mother (my niece) behind us shooting the cr@p out of us! That's not a bad thing - she is a very good shot! We were shooting beer cans at about 80yds and she was getting bored so she started shooting the cans on the rim to make them fly in the air! So I started shooting the bottom of the cans through the top opening - and I was standing (I actually got a few like that). Yup, that Sportmaster really shoots well. It must have had thousands of rounds through it. I was a silllywet champ with it when I was much younger. It now it is of special sentiment to me (Denver shot his first hare with it at a good distance two days later). I actually bought the 511 with my son in mind.

P.S. There are four Aspies in that photo! All good shots.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 03-12-2014 at 01:57 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    I have a collection of most of the variations of the 500 Remingtons. They are all extremely accurate and extremely well made. The outside may be rough but you hardly ever find a bad bore in one of these.

Boolit Master
    I have a 510 that has beat up on a many 10/22 "Target" rifle, they are very accurate! The 513T is also top notch!

My 512 had a damaged bolt body from the trigger sear failing. I bought new parts and the new sear broke! So, I did a trial repair on the original which involved brazing a piece of hacksaw blade on the top and that trigger lasted many thousands of rounds. It eventually got too sensitive so I fitted the also repaired new one. The first one basically had a bronze sear face which eventually wore rounded but did make a great trigger. The new one has the hacksaw blade piece all the way to form a hard steel sear. I have found on occasion the tubular magazine to be a pain like club shooting and also shooting by car (the gun must be unloaded before getting into the care).

Banned

I have a couple of those Remington .22s, one a single shot that was my uncle's boyhood rifle and another of the clip fed variant. I've had a few others over the years and they are all great shooters. Just wish I could get ammo for them now.

Is the rimfire situation as bad there as it is here?

Is the rimfire situation as bad there as it is here?
    No, not as far as I can tell. I haven't been to buy 22 ammo for quite a while now but in the past there has always been plenty (and that during the 22 ammo shortage you folks are suffering). The selection of American brands hasn't always been great. I was into Federal subs and those disappeared but CCI were right there to take their place. We get European stuff too.

303Guy. You are right. These guns(512) are a joy to shoot. I have one and still have to shoot it at least once a week. I can set the lift up for LR and it misses a short sometimes or set it up for shorts and kicks the nose of the bullet up on the LR. Ha. I'm thinking about scoping mine up just to see how close I can group with it. I wish I had one just like these in 22 Mag. Ha.

Roy.

Those 511 and 512 models definitely have a unique, sleek feel and balance to them.

One day, my boss brought in an old 512 that he had since he was a kid. It had missing screws that had been replaced with flat head wood screws, a broken butt plate and the rear sight elevator was missing. He wanted me to try and restore it the best I could and said he would make it worth my while.

After rounding up the missing parts and refinishing the stock and metal, I brought it in one day to surprise him. The surprise was on me. After looking it over carefully, he handed it back to me with a smile and said, "Nice work. Enjoy."

Someday, I hope to surprise my grandson with it.

Any of the remington teen series rifles are a joy to use/shoot. They were made in what I call the golden era of the 22lr's. Real wood stocks, real steel/blueing, hand fitted parts are just some of their appeal.

1 of my favorite plinkers, a 513's

[IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Master
    My first .22 rifle was a model 512 and I still have it. Mine is the target model, with a fully adjustable rear sight, and a front blade sight that resembles a shark fin. I, too, used to shoot soft drink cans at 100 yds with it, back when my eyesight was good. I got so I would load the tubular magazine, and that's all the ammo I would take. A few times, I came back from squirrel hunting with 5 squirrels (the limit) and 10 shells.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 512 that is 60 y.o. and has never been touched by a gunsmith. I have shot 1,000's of S,L,& LR hi speed and target. About 5 years after I received it as a Christmas present, I put a Weaver 4X. Both are still going strong. Killed a lot of squirrels, crows, and tin cans, not to mention paper targets with it.

Boolit Man
    I like the 510, 511, 512 bolt action remingtons also.
    They are almost completely alike other than how many rounds they hold.
    The long barrels make them quiet and accurate even with iron sights.
    I prefer to load a round when I choose to load one.

Boolit Bub
    My friend has one, great shooter.

My only Remington rifle is a 514 single shot. I had it for about 6 years and traded it in on a Mauser .22 which is my most prized possession. I later bought the same gun back at a local gun show 8-10 years later.

My Mother bought me that gun for my 12th birthday. It was $15, the she decided I needed a sling on it which cost her another $20 to have a gunsmith install. So I had a $20 Sling on a $15 rifle. That's how I knew I got the same gun back.

In one of my early Home Gunsmithing projects I altered the bolt handle. I need to rectify that some day. I always hated the look of the Remington Bolt handles on these guns. That is the only thing I disliked.

My gun now resides in my garage shop and if need be it has a plastic bottle with some ammo taped to the sling.

I saw one just like it at a LGS a few days ago and they were asking $300 for it! mine is in better shape.

It seems that all of these older .22's are bringing good money and are highly desirable. Nobody makes guns like this anymore. Why I don't know.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com