Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New slick

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Yeh If I knew the thing would group, then shooting in the wind is great practice, water dripping off the frontsight till you can't see thru it is also good training for shooting at Raton... But until I know the thing will shoot a 10 ring group, there's no need to waste primers in complete reversing winds at 25 mph... I already have loads that I know will shoot ok, just looking for that new secret weapon.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by powderburnerr View Post
    thats when you need to be shooting , so as to figure the wind drift on that thing,
    Wind is blowing;think I will go out and shoot

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    .................. just looking for that new secret weapon.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master

I've almost given up, waiting on good weather. Almost every week for the last 60 days there has been a day at up to 78 degrees and snow/ice within the next half dozen. we've had winds up to 60 MPH on two occasions.
    Friday it was 77 with clouds. Sunday we got 1.7" of cold rain, and today schools were delayed because of ice.
    It's been an extremely wet Winter, with unusual cold and ice, along with record highs, for both lows and highs.
    As the old saying goes, "If ya don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes."

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    As the old saying goes, "If ya don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...says-1.2573119
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

don't feel the warming yet Charlie.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Does that also explain how there were once glaciers as far South as Tenn, Va, and NC?

Got out a little bit with the bullet yesterday and again a short time this morning.
    77 grs of Olde Eynsford, the Napa rubbergasket wad and the muzzle loader original dry lubed felt wad, br2 primer. Shot really well at 500, and was showing some promise at 800, ran out of ammo yesterday. Loaded up another batch last night and 2 different groups of 3 rounds each ( winds were throwing us back and forth like crazy, weather moving in and the light and temps moving the target all over the place) I could cover with my hand at 800 yds... I think this thing is going to work, maybe..

excellent Don ... congratulations on hopefully finding the boolit your 44 likes ... a lot! now for a repeat action huh?

your "original dry lubed felt wad" ... you do not soak it in additional lube before using? ... just dry as they come in the package?

Thanks Ted. I have several bullets this rifle likes, but what I'm hoping this bullet will accomplish is being able to stay stable in the various wind shears at 1000 yds that seem to be a bit pesky for my other "good" bullets. The winds we shot in yesterday and Saturday, and the "cluster" that came at 800 yds sure looks good. But as we say, the proof is in the groups and we'll know more when this thing has been shot at 9 and 1K.
    These are the felt wads I've taken to using,http://www.midwayusa.com/product/250...ProductFinding , and I use them just as they come from the package.
    I have also taken to treating the exposed patch with jojobaba oil.

awesome.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Which 44 is it Don? I have one of Steve Earle's action I'm thinking about doing in one of Wesson's 44 calibers. You're patching .434 to what diameter? and what bore/groove is the barrel? Thanks.

This is my 44-77 Shiloh roughrider. It's bore is .436 and the grooves are a tight .447. Twist is 1-19

Had a minute this afternoon to try a few rounds at 900 and 1000, it appears this bullet is going to hold up fine in the gusty winds at that distance. Need a few more rounds down range to be sure, but so far this thing is looking like a real winner in this rifle.

Shot this bullet again, today. The other day it held up very well in the gusty winds. Today it's was relatively calm with a slight left to right breeze from about 8 oclock. It's holding up extremely well at 1000 yds, and giving no verticle that isn't shooter induced.. when you get 3-4 shots touching... Of course the MVA scope is a big help , but still this 7* leed combined with a good patched bullet is proving to be just awesome.
    Looking really forward to trial by fire at Byers, in a few weeks.

that is just too cool bud. I figured the rifle and you would do good after arguing over the little bits. these long range shooting is done with the new old E powder ... correct?

3 to 4 shots touching out of how many shot? shees that IS good shooting at 900 or 1000 yds.

this 7 degree leed is the same thing im talking about in the other post rite? so the 7 degree leed is the angle from the bore diameter in the throat area to the full groove or top of the rifling itself correct?

also how much throat is in your 44?

Yup the same thing in the other thread.
    The throat on this 44 isn't much longer than it was when I sent it up to Kirk to have it done. I wasn't convinced the 7* was the thing to do, until I had the rebarrel on the #3 done.. It only took a couple dozen rounds from that gun to know this one was going to get the same treatment. Now I don't think I'ld order a gun without it.

Less than 8 shots total with that bullet, because it took me 3 to get onto the bull, then those 4, and Carol kept saying I can't see it for sure but it looks like it lit on top of that other one... We could hear the steel ringing and see the lead splash , so we knew it was on target, just didn't know how much until we drove up to take a look.

that sir is most awesome !!!

Thanks Ted, I'm still somewhat in shock from that. It's hard to wrap your mind around something like that at a couple hundred yards let alone 1000. Now just need to work on the mental stuff to see if I can get it to repeat during the heat of a real live shootin match.

Oh and I did change the primers. I had gotten ahold of a carton of Remington Large rifles, so I loaded the twenty rounds for testing today with those trying to save my Br-2's for serious stuff..... Now I think I'll just burn thru those Remingtons and look for some more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast