Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XFR/Spark Testing of alloy

Boolit Bub

XRF Testing of alloy

Any idea where I might get some alloy spark tested or shot with an XRF gun? I called around some local scrap yards and they all just do a visual inspection of metals. They said if they had a large quantity of unknown alloy they sometimes sent it to a lab before scrapping it, but that's only if I were selling them something. I sent some online quote requests out to some online labs, but I have a feeling it'll be $$$.

Figured I would ask and see if anyone knew. For WW or pure lead metal its probably not worth it, but I just scored a bunch of unknown lead/tin/antimony solder that I alloyed and ingotized. I want to know the exact percentages of so I can better use it as mix metal. I could just wing it but if its cheap-ish to find out its worth it.

Figure I pulled 110# of solder out of a scrapyard lead bin, paid lead scrap prices $0.65/lbs ($70). I found a 1# silver solder roll I'm gonna sell for $40-50. I'll be out $20-30 for the entire haul. Considering I can use this to create over a thousand pounds of bullet alloy it's probably worth it to know the exact mix! There was 50/50, 60/40, 95/5, a bunch of real old unlabeled roll of solder, and a bunch of unknown solder rods. For all I know the unmarked ones were 95/5 and my alloy could be something like 75% tin, 20% lead, 5% antimony.
    Last edited by sirsloop; 03-10-2014 at 02:05 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Rotometals (forum sponsor, click on their link) will test samples for you. I think their rate is somewhere around 68 bucks or so, but you can send in 5 test pieces for that price. (or whatever the price is)

Boolit Bub
    I just found a local scrap yard this morning that is willing to shoot a sample for me. I saw the roto metals deal the other day... I guess a good backup if local sources dry up.

I'm going up to the local place Saturday... Probably pick though their lead bin then get the sample tested. Ya know at least throw them a few bucks before using their $35,000 tester and time hahahah

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    ALL my local scrap guys have guns. They do it all the time on their incoming stuff. I sure can't understand how any profitable yard could NOT have one!

banger

Boolit Master
    I talked to the head guy at my scrapyard about checking alloy with XRF gun. He said if he had one he would be glad to check stuff for me. He nor any of the guys that work for him wanted to be the guy that dropped the gun on the concrete floor and have to pay for fixing it. Can't say I blame them.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    "Good help IS hard to find!"

banger

Boolit Master

I was going to use these guys as soon as i get all my foundry/mono/lino alloy together to find my average numbers. Roto LOOKs like 59.00 per sample.

http://www.expressxrfanalysis.com/services-costs
    Last edited by RedHawk357Mag; 03-15-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Forgot the link
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Boolit Bub
    ok so I paid a visit to the yard this morning. The yard boss was on site and pulled out a niton XRF in what looked like a precious metals weigh room. He shot a couple of the ingots I brought over and the reading was pretty much BS. Last weekend I melted down over 60 pounds of tin+lead solder rolls and made it into ingots. He told me the gun said it was 94% lead. Nonsense. If anything I would expect it to come back and say between 40-60% tin. It ONLY displayed lead, not any of the other elements in the alloy. He mentioned that the gun only reads out known alloys of metals, not home cooked ingots of some random alloy. Anyways, either he doesnt know how to use the gun, he didnt want to give me good results so he could buy my metal at scrap lead prices, or he has some XRF gun that doesnt give you the PPM read out for all elements.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

hey while I was there I scored 110# of nice clean pure lead sheeting, and another 48# of 50-50 bar solder for scrap prices. Including my haul from last weekend, that brings me to over 100# of tin solder. Now I just need like 2000# of lead to mix it with HAHAHAH. Long story short I'm just gonna use my solder ingots as if they were 50-50 even though I know they have a little antimony in there. They are probably more than 50-50 in tin as there was a good amount of 95/5 and 60/40 dropped in. The retail 50-50 bars I'll hold on to as they are worth $$$ and I paid scrap prices . Maybe i'll offload em for profit on ebay or something... idk

Quote Originally Posted by RedHawk357Mag View Post
    I was going to use these guys as soon as i get all my foundry/mono/lino alloy together to find my average numbers. Roto LOOKs like 59.00 per sample.

http://www.expressxrfanalysis.com/services-costs
    $25 per sample and 2 week leadtime. If you are serious about knowing what you have and have some quantity of it, I don't see how $25 is not a good deal. You could easily save that in TIN value by KNOWING what you have instead of guessing or relying on an amatuer with a field XRF gun.

Boolit Master

A couple guys here have access to guns and will test a sample for a pound or so of lead. May take some searching, but sounds fair to me.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

search member BNE he will shoot a sample for the price of a 1 LB of lead, i just sent him a ingot of battery buss bar to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master

+1, He has a fast turn around time too!

Boolit Master

Got em tested. Fortunately I had a pretty good idea going in what I had. I didn't really agree with my first test returns and tried a different test place and found the results more to what I expected. So I guess as with other things there is difference between tools and tool operators. If I had absolutely no idea what the alloy was I probably have went with my first results and been none the wiser.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Quote Originally Posted by RedHawk357Mag View Post
    Got em tested. Fortunately I had a pretty good idea going in what I had. I didn't really agree with my first test returns and tried a different test place and found the results more to what I expected. So I guess as with other things there is difference between tools and tool operators. If I had absolutely no idea what the alloy was I probably have went with my first results and been none the wiser.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I wanted to recommend having tested at more than 1 place as I have seen some offering testing to be not correct in the results. Best to have 2 different results to compare in my opinion. It helps to have a known alloy or 2 done at the same time to throw out some results if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    search member BNE he will shoot a sample for the price of a 1 LB of lead, i just sent him a ingot of battery buss bar to shoot.
    Can you share your results when you get them? I have a bunch of industrial battery buss bar lead.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsloop View Post
    ok so I paid a visit to the yard this morning. The yard boss was on site and pulled out a niton XRF in what looked like a precious metals weigh room. He shot a couple of the ingots I brought over and the reading was pretty much BS. Last weekend I melted down over 60 pounds of tin+lead solder rolls and made it into ingots. He told me the gun said it was 94% lead. Nonsense. ...
    This story made me laugh. Scrap metal dealers make used car salesmen look like saints.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    sirsloop, don't know your location, but if there is an industrial x-ray company in town,(think pipeline or refinery), they should have an xrf gun in their arsenal of tools. Most of the time. if no written report is needed, they won't charge you for the shot! Just take a shot of the xrf gun's screen with your phone, and you got your proof! Good luck.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by 6622729 View Post
    Can you share your results when you get them? I have a bunch of industrial battery buss bar lead.
    This was from Big Joe forklifts the buss bar connects the batteries together and when batteries are replaced they cut off the buss bars and toss them.

From BNE

Battery Bus Bar Lead

Pb = 97.3%
    Sb = 2.7%

Thank you again for the lead!

BNE
    BNE

I sold some gold that I accumulated the other day that had to be assayed. The place that did the assaying had an xrf machine. Wasn't a gun and the guy said he'd test anything I wanted free. It was a chamber with a video screen. Maybe it was made to test small items like jewelry. So I'll be going back with some ingots. He said it would tell us exactly what we have.

Something else ive read though is that even on the same ingot you can have different readings and different alloys. Looking at the surface of my melt pot I'm not surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by wadcutter View Post
    This story made me laugh. Scrap metal dealers make used car salesmen look like saints.
    Without a doubt they are really into the buy low and sell high school of financial success. During the downturn I watched a local yard slowly shrink as they sold off "inventory" to provide cash flow to keep the business running. By shrink I mean huge piles of materials were dismembered to keep crews busy and get maximum value out of the stuff by cutting off any brass, copper or aluminum and separating the steel from it.

Thing with the XRF gun is it has to be configured as to what to look for, if the device is not set correctly, or used correctly it gives messed up readings. As someone else mentioned a patch of surface lead with little tin in that spot will throw it off, heck ingots that have gotten rust dust on them from a container will come back as having some % of iron. Operator has to know what he is looking for, then has to know how to use the device or you won't get good results.

Many scrap yards treat solder or even almost pure tin as "lead" they don't sort out tin, they don't test for tin, gun won't be configured to consider tin. The upside of this situation is since they don't care about lead alloys they don't charge more for those containing tin or antimony as a rule. However if the owners son casts and reloads..... expect to pay a premium for linotype or solder. Don't ask how I know. Still they treat me ok, but they know the relative value of the "good stuff" to me, still a deal but not generally at plain lead price.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast