RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: .311 Lyman 310 expander puzzle

.311 Lyman 310 expander puzzle

In my strange and weird obsession with Lyman 310 tool, I have accumulated three .311 expanders, one screwed into a 303 Brit die body and the other two in 30-40 die bodies. However they are not the same.

Note how short the expander is in the middle plug and how the numbers are hand stamped one by one while the other two longer expanders have the numbers gang stamped.

Any guesses as to the difference. I have a theory, but it is just a theory with no facts to back it up.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    Char-Gar

I feel you addiction.....I too like the 310 hand tools.

As to why, I certainly don't know other than to say that as we all know, Lyman wasn't the least bit shy about changing horses out in the middle of the stream ( in more than one category at Lyman ).

Just a question,....Could the middle one ( the shorter one ) be for the 32/20 or 32 S & W Long ?

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 03-09-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Ben...Lyman lists .311 as the cast bullet expander for both the 32-20 and 30 Luger. I suspect that shorter .311 plug got screwed into a Krag body at some point in time. It was an orphan die when it came to live with me. No telling what kind of trauma it suffered before finding respite here.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always wished things like this could talk, I'd like to sit and listen to their story. In a lot of cases, I'm betting it would be fairly interesting.

Ben

By the way, I'm looking for a nice set of 8 X 57 mm 310 dies right now ! !

Boolit Grand Master

Ben, I think BrassMagnet now has two sets! He sent me a list of what he had to trade and I had already sent him a set of 8x57 dies. Lo and behold, on his list separately was a full set of 8x57 dies listed by number. He should have two, if he can find them.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Wayne,

I've sent him a PM.

Thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    As has been opined previously, this is likely a function of date of manufacture rather than application... they seemed to make those kinds of changes at irregular intervals and with unpredictable reasons. JMHO, of course!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

IMO the shorty is for the 32acp --
    My 32 "pistol" set is the same length but .313 --

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    IMO the shorty is for the 32acp --
    My 32 "pistol" set is the same length but .313 --
    Yep, that could be as well, although the 3 expanders I have that were in factory boxes marked for 32 S&W & S&W L are (IIRC) all 3 slightly different. One of the sets is for a pre-War #3 tool, one for a boxed set of 310 dies, and one for a boxed set of TruLine Jr dies, so pick a theory and figure it out for yourself!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

To be certain, Lyman has had different notions what 310 expanders should look like over the years. But the short reach of my expander in question vis-a-vi the longer reach of the others, forces me to think it was for a handgun round, where the longer expander would bottom out, before the second step of the expander was reached.

Boolit Buddy
    The shorter expander is virtually identical to the one in my set of .30 Luger dies. Just my opinion, but I would agree that the shorter expander would have originally been intended for pistol cartridges, with the longer ones being for rifle cartridges and their correspondingly longer necks.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=jrmartin1964;2677927]The shorter expander is virtually identical to the one in my set of .30 Luger dies. Just my opinion, but I would agree that the shorter expander would have originally been intended for pistol cartridges, with the longer ones being for rifle cartridges and their correspondingly longer necks.[/QUOTE
    Hummm

yep I agree but I was wrong once back in '68 I think

Boolit Master

So who is our 310 tool guru on the forum? BrassMagnet maybe??
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 03-11-2014 at 11:49 PM.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    The shorter expanders are for handgun cartridges and won't always work on a long neck rifle case. I found this out after an Ebay purchase of a .311 expander and tried to use it for 7.7 Jap. It only expanded about 2/3 of the neck before bottoming out and that's when I realized that it was probably for a .32 auto round. At some point, I think Lyman decided to make all the expander plugs the same length so as to be interchangeable but there are still thousands of the short plugs out there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    So who is our 310 tool guru on the forum? BrassMagnet maybe??
    I had a good talk with BrassMagnet recently, he is a " wizard " with his knowledge of 310 items.

Ben