WidenersSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ROA dilemma

Boolit Man

Very nice ROA, fantastic price, you'll really like it. Very accurate revolver and you can't wear it out. Congrats and good shooting.

Boolit Buddy
    If the nipples in the cylinder are the original Ruger nipples they take a number 10 percussion cap and not the number 11's to get the proper fit. ( New nipples can be had through Track of the Wolf ) This also brings to mind that if you didn't get the nipple wrench for removing the nipples that is also available from Track.
    Nice looking revolver ... I think you are going to like it.

Pete

Boolit Master
    the nipples look original , no wrench , so i need to order one
    I also need to get a 457 mold

My last track order got here Saturday , with a 6 cavity 490 round ball mold , a 430-200rf 6 cavity , handles and a Tomahawk that i am a little worried my wife is going to beat me over the head with if i place another order this week

well maybe i can live with a 2 cavity mold this time , a wrench , some flints for another project, and hide the tomahawk

Boolit Master

.......definitely hide the hawk.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    .......definitely hide the hawk.
    I did , but if I hid everything that is or could be used as a weapon in my house it would look mighty suspicious

So i am living dangerously , I ordered a wrench , 6 nipples , a mold , some ox yoke and some flint If it was to much I am going to blame it on the 1.65 for the flint

I went back and forth on the nipples at 4.99 a piece but they will probably never be any less and I hate to have a non working gun because of a small but necessary part that and trying to make the shipping worth while.

Boolit Master

I just bought a ROA this year as well and will need a nipple wrench and maybe new nipples too. Haven't shot it too much yet.

Moderator Emeritus

I use the 457 RB over 25gr of FFF and 15gr corn meal.
    I use a beeswax/bear grease lube smeared on the end of the Cylinder over the ball.

BTW, you can easily double your $$$ if you don't like the ruger...maybe triple.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    I agree with JonB on the load but lube is not necessary, just makes a mess.

Perma-Banned

That was a great deal on a ruger old army. They are great guns.

Dump your savings. New Englanders are everywhere. ROAs are not.

Boolit Master
    I was wondering had anyone tried a load with a lube cookie under the ball , say like 25gr fffg , 10 gr corn meal , a lube cookie then the ball

if the point of the lube is to prevent flash over , it would still work under the ball and then gain lube being pushed hydraulically around the ball by the pressure of the powder charge

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    I was wondering had anyone tried a load with a lube cookie under the ball , say like 25gr fffg , 10 gr corn meal , a lube cookie then the ball

if the point of the lube is to prevent flash over , it would still work under the ball and then gain lube being pushed hydraulically around the ball by the pressure of the powder charge
    Yeah, I put the lube on the end of the cylinder for flashover. Now after I read your suggestion of a lube cookie, I started thinking,,,with the cornmeal why would there ever be flashover with or without a lube cookie ? AND fogg64 is right...it's messy !
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master

I give up greasing the end of the clylinder,,i just use wool wad over powder.Way cleaner,,

Nipple wrench............3/16ths nut driver works real well,,,

Have always used #11 caps in my guns,,never had an issue.

Boolit Mold
    I like powder/cornmeal/ball load (less fuss same results). I have tried powder/lube cookie/cornmeal/ball, powder/cornmeal/lube cookie/ball and powder/lube cookie/ball. There is a difference in the recoil but I forget which combination. You can experiment and see which combination suits you. I use 25 grains of 3f, less than full .357 of grits and .457 ball. Seems the most accurate and comfortable for me.

Boolit Master
    My ROA load = 30 grains of Pyrodex "P" under Oxyoke Wonder Wad, Lee 220 Conical, topped with a Oxyoke "Wonder Seal" lube cookie. Sure, it shoots high. However, mine is the SS model, with pinned front site. Called Ruger and got a complementry front site for a 45 LC Blackhawk.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I called ruger a while back and I have a 45lc blackhawk site sitting on my desk waiting to get installed in my 44 mag super blackhawk so i can shoot my 240gr loads as they were still high with the sight bottomed out , since then i also bought a 200 gr mold so I will see where it shoots with them with the round flat nose they should be plenty for deer and save me lead

Boolit Master
    do you think half a cotton ball could be used instead of the wool ?

where do you get your wool ?

You can purchase high quality felt here: http://www.durofelt.com/

Boolit Master
    oh wool felt , well i can just steal some of the wife's scraps from her wool felt projects , they will be very multi colored do you just use a half inch punch or does someone make a 457 cal punch

for some reason when i first read wool I was thinking loose wool not felted wool , we use raw wool as in unwashed as a lure holder when trapping

but I wasn't sure unwashed wool that can be sometimes dirty would be the thing , then I was thinking there is a sheep farm we have toured with 4H just outside town and I know she washes much of her wool to sell direct to the crafting market for spinners and I was thinking I could pick up a bag of that.

that is why I asked about a 1/2 a cotton ball

Moderator Emeritus

Or wool from a Navy Pea coat at a thrift shop ?
    probably a couple bucks
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast