Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ROA dilemma

Boolit Master

ROA dilemma

I know a guy selling a used but in good shape ROA ruger old army blued looks very clean a few marks on it but 85% or there about oh and the price is good , I can get it for 220 dollars

my dilemma if you asked me what my next BP gun was going top be last week I would have told you I wanted a 50 cal new englander

so do I dump my savings on a very nice piece or wait it out on a new englander

now I am not sure why I am posting yall are likely to be a big bunch of enablers.

but i would like to hear what your thoughts are on the ROA

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you do not own a cap & ball revolver, the ROA is the one to get if you will have only one. Then also get a Kirst conversion cylinder for it so that you can also shoot .45 Colt in it. I have a .45 ACP cylinder for mine, also by Walt Kirst.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-09-2014 at 01:17 PM.

Perm-Banned
    in the history of my life i have passed up buys that i have kicked my self for over and over later. one is a rolling block remington and the other is my brother in laws 70 ford truck completely rebuilt for 1500 dollars. the gun your describing doesnt come around often or ever again. you will not reget it and if you tire of it you will gain money, not loose any. man i wish i would have bought that truck, best hunting truck out their. dont have regrets.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    That is a great price on the best BP revolver out anywhere. "Strike while the iron is hot" because you may never get it this hot again. No regrets for having one and I would not think of selling mine for double your possible price.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

FWIW mine has five deer to its credit.

Boolit Master
    so what your saying is that I will regret this like i did when I not buying 150 dollar k98 mausers with brand new Israelie 308 barrels , got home from that gun show researched them and said if I ever see that guy again I need to buy one of those , well I have never seen one since. much less a 308 Mauser for 150 dollars

I talked to the wife told her if it is still there when I go back it is to good a deal to pass , even if I decide to sell it later it will be worth more

Boolit Master
    You decide you want to pass on it, let me know (pm) If in good condition with a good bore, I'll take it.
    Chris

Boolit Master

My rule of thumb is that planned purchases can be delayed or set aside in favor of unexpected deals, but only if the planned purchase is not needed for upcoming hunting trips.

That pretty much means that planned purchases can always be set aside when a deal pops up. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Run, don't walk. Get that ROA while the gettin's good! It will serve you well for a life time. Then start looking for that New Englander. Opportunity is knocking!

Boolit Master

Just saw a ROA at a lgs for $550. I know what I would do in your shoes.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Get the ROA! At that prices, you can trade for any rifle you want!
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master

In '08, I picked up a pristine stainless ROA for $300. Kept it for two months and traded it for two Renegades with a third barrel! Well worth to have in trading fodder.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Buddy
    It is a shame that they quit making the Ruger Old Army, it is by far the best you can get in a black powder revolver in my opinion and I would take one of those over two of any other revolver being made today. If you get it and decide you don't want it you will get your money back .... and then some.

Pete

Unless you are into Hammerli target pistols or T/C Contenders, it will probably be the most accurate handgun you own. Period.

Boolit Master
    Dilemma Resolved

In my hand I hold a ROA Bi Centenial marked " Made in the 200th year of American Liberty"

so now there are only a few questions left

1. whats the preferred grease to grease the chambers with

2. whats your best accuracy load -- I have a decent stock of real FFFG --- and apparently a soon to be dwindling stock of #11 cci caps

3. what mold to get

Boolit Master
    you could also look at it this way. if you come across another one in better condition than this one, buy the second one and then sell the first one. think like an investment banker.

Boolit Master
    I know pics or it didn't happen , here you go

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0746[1].jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	99148

Boolit Master
    Congratulations! My two cents says get a loading stand for use at the range. I went without for years and after getting a nice home made stand I can tell you it's much easier to load at the bench with a decent stand. IIRC the plans for my stand came from this site, it's been a couple years and I don't recall for sure. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    ....so now there are only a few questions left

2. whats your best accuracy load -- I have a decent stock of real FFFG --- and apparently a soon to be dwindling stock of #11 cci caps

3. what mold to get
    1. CRISCO

2. 30 grs. of 3Fg with Ox Yoke lubricated wad over powder to ensure you can feel compression at the end of the rammer stroke.

3. .457 round ball is what the factory front sight is set up for. Cast them 1:40 tin/lead or pure lead only.

If you try to use heavier conicals the gun will shoot "high" even with the rear sight bottomed out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE View Post
    Dilemma Resolved

In my hand I hold a ROA Bi Centenial marked " Made in the 200th year of American Liberty"

so now there are only a few questions left

I have 2 roa,s.. they both show a marked preference for ff powder.I use 30 grs goex, homemade wool wad under ball,and balls cast from lee mold,,.457 naturally. One of my guns is a sister to yours,being a liberty model. They both shoot fantastic!!!

3. what mold to get
    I have 2 roa,s.. they both show a marked preference for ff powder.I use 30 grs goex, homemade wool wad under ball,and balls cast from lee mold,,.457 naturally. One of my guns is a sister to yours,being a liberty model. They both shoot fantastic!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast