Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ROA dilemma

Boolit Buddy
    37 grains of triple 777 with a wad and a .457 RB two hand hold off hand at 50 yards unsupported all shot in a pie plate NO PROBLEMS
    I never did find out what the FPS is?

Boolit Master
    Had it out shooting today , yes in the pouring rain , but I think your right it is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot

I bought one of those little steel pop up targets it flips down then springs back up , for my daughter who got a kick our of it and since it was pouring rain no paper to get soaked ,she had retreated to the dry van ,well I asked my son should i try it wit the ROA at 25 yards , he said won't that break the 22 target , i said well if I does I guess I am out another 10 dollars to buy your sister another and pulled the trigger , I couldn't tell if i hit it because by the time the smoke cleared it had popped back up , I said Oh well guess i missed , no dad you hit it , sure enough it took more paint off than the 22 but no damage done this target is kind of diamond shaped and 2 inches wide by 7 tall I hit the middle right were i was aiming

the load is 30 gr fffg .7cc corn meal , a .457 ball , and a little lube over the top , great fun ti shoot not much fun to load or clean

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    You can purchase high quality felt here: http://www.durofelt.com/
    Ditto on over-powder wads. I gave up on grease over the ball since it all blows off anyway. Mike Beliveau put together a nice video on making your own wads. I've been making these now for a while and the accuracy obtained using these is stunning. His video can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgNVPC2wmWI

Be SURE to use REAL FELT, not the fake stuff. The fake stuff melts in the bore. I use these in a ROA I've had since 1977. One of the most acurate guns I have too.

Attachment 102329

Attachment 102330

Boolit Master
    Oh yea....please for the love of Pete, do not put Crisco over the balls. That stuff gums up the gun real fast and is a chore to remove. If you must grease over the balls, use a commercial product like "Wonder Lube" or something. I think you will find that a greased felt wad betwixt the powder and ball will serve your needs just fine. I've been shooting BP since '75 in revolvers, pistols, flintlock rifles and cap-lock rifles. I quit with the over-ball lube in '85 when I saw it all get blown off anyway after the first few shots. A LUBED felt wad works better between the charge and ball for a variety of reasons.

The lubed felt wad over the powder charge with a ball about to be seated. Not an ROA but you get the idea.
    Attachment 102335

The accuracy potential of a RB atop a lubed (homemade) wad. Here are 36 shots at 15 yards, offhand. Your ROA will group better.
    Attachment 102336
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 04-14-2014 at 11:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm one of those who used Crisco, and food grade Lubraplate over the ball early on. I agree it makes a mess fast. Things got real funky quickly that way. Went to lubed felt wads between the powder and ball, much better. You can get more shots off before some sort of cleaning at least in my ROA. If I carry mine in the field it also makes it much easier to reload without having to mess around with grease of some kind ending up on everything. You have to wonder what they did in the civil war in the field with these cap and ball loaders ??
    Bet grease wasn't in the program,
    Chris

Boolit Master
    And from the man himself, Elmer Keith. From Sixguns, 1955, Chapter 14, Page 210-211.

Attachment 102341 Attachment 102342

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234