WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Henry 45-70 ???

Henry 45-70 ???

I did a search and didn't find anything. Anybody own, shoot or know anything about the Henry 45-70? I think they look good just never shot one.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Master
    I fondled one at a LGS last winter. It was solid feeling and well finished. Had the XS sights on them. If'n I didnt have an 1895SS I might have bought. It came up to shoulder on target.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Mike's has one in stock right now. It looks as nice as the New Haven 1895 on the rack next to it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I have only handled one. Like all Henry's it felt solid, smooth action. I would not hesitate to own one.

I been thinkin pretty hard about one. Just not much for reviews on them yet.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Boolit Master
    I plan on buying one as soon as I find a gunshop that has one in stock for me to hold and shoulder. Everything I read about the Henrys is positive, especially their customer service.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Mold
    I have one and I love it. As good as they look in photos, they are better up close. The action is smooth, although not quite butter smooth. I believe it will get better in time because I have about 300 rounds through it to date and it is already loosening up nicely. The one problem I had was the magazine tube working itself out with the recoil of heavy loads. The screw that holds the tube in place at the bottom of the receiver was bottomed out in the threads but was not contacting the mag tube. I chased the threads the rest of the way through the receiver, re-installed the screw and have not had a problem since.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Been lusting for the Henry .45/70 since I saw one about two months ago. Henry sure paid the ultimate compliment to Marlin as most of the action is very Marlin. Features I liked were the .22 RF style tubular magazine, a little better wood than most Marlins, pistol grip on a carbine, and the sights. Couldn't find anything I didn't like. Today I saw a couple of "RemLins" which were very attractive in checkered 18" 30/30 carbine format. If Big Green keeps up like the ones I saw today, they should have nothing to fear. But, my heart belongs to the Henry .45/70. Of course justification showed up. "I don't have a .45/70 right now, I do have dies and buddy BruceB has several moulds, all I need is a shell holder, brass, and maybe GC." So I told the friendly gun shop owner, "here's my phone number; phone me when one comes in." Here's hoping the Henry will get along with several Marlins.
    Last edited by NVcurmudgeon; 03-21-2014 at 01:04 AM. Reason: adding
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

On Heaven's Range

Yeah , but what I DIDN'T tell NVC during his mini-orgasms over the Henrys, is that "EVERYBODY KNOWS" that a tube-magazine rifle is just an awkward place to store extra rounds, for them as can not shoot! (sarcasm!)

So....tell me again, why do I own these Marlins and Winchesters? Oh, taste and aesthetics? I see..... maybe that's why my only .45-70 is a single-shot, too.

I'm just jealous, really. I think we've found a muy sympatico dealer for our future shopping here in Reno... he almost talked ME into a new Ruger LC9 with laser sight! Who says old dogs can't be edj.... eddi.... TAUGHT new things?
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

The boys over at the Marlin board that have Henry's sure likem.
    We consider them as good as a JM Marlin
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

100% made in the USA?
    which action is it a clone of?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    I think we've found a muy sympatico dealer for our future shopping here in Reno... he almost talked ME into a new Ruger LC9 with laser sight! Who says old dogs can't be edj.... eddi.... TAUGHT new things?

Buy it I have two in my house and they are fantastic pistols for the money. One of the few guns I most likely would not sell. Even my son has tried to get me to sell him one and that's a no go!
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Found a NIB Henry on Gunbrokers for $700 and decided to buy it. Was hoping to examine one in person first but called about 15 stores and no one had any in stock. Pretty good price considering it already has a ghost sight system installed. I could care less about the tube magazine, if anything it eliminates another cut out on the action. Everyone has told me Henrys customer service is about as good as it gets. Won't be able to shoot it till mid April but will post a mini review once I do. This will be my first Henry.
    I did read on the Marlin forum they have tight barrels, .456 to be exact.
    East Tennessee