Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need some help with borescope education

Boolit Master

A week from now, you should have it by then, you will be dancing a gig over making the right decision. Have had my Hawkeye for over 15 years and would not part with it.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

Well, if it's not exactly what I need, I'll send it back (ie, no focus or something).
    I will post some pictures here when I get it of what I am seeing etc, so that others can understand just how useful it can be.
    I just want to thank all you fellers for helping me out with this. I have come to believe that this is a necessary tool to have if I continue to advance towards the goals I am pursuing, and it's really nice to have more knowledgeable people I can turn to for advice, no matter how far I get.
    I really appreciate your opinions and guidance.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

You'll enjoy this fine tool.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Note that the scope apparently a solid piece of glass inside the tube, so do NOT bend
    it even slightly.Bill
    I didn't know that. It does bend very easily though and care needs to be taken when slipping it into the bore that you aren't putting a bind on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Turns out you can't see squat from the ends. Bill
    Ain't that the truth, what you see with the naked eye ain't what's really in there. The Marlin bores I mentioned are proof positive of that. Shine a light into the chamber and look into the muzzle and it looks like perfection. The bore scope shines the light of truth as to what the condition of the bore really is and it's nowhere near what the naked eye says it is.

The scope really is a profound educational tool, I learn something every time I stick it in a bore.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Well, the borescope came in today.
    It does have the focusing eyepiece.
    I think I scoped about 50 barrels tonight.
    Pretty awesome little piece.

Boolit Master
    Amazing and scary what you can see eh?
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Good post if you were in ND you could make some of that money back its hard to find some one here that wants to work on anything.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two, but they are short on length. Work great on handguns, which is why I got them in the first place. I bought some of the other ones mentioned and guess they work fine on plumbing an what not. But in a bore you have to be able to focus very close up.The image was never helpful on any of those units. Save your money and time. The mirror never leaves the scope when I use it.
    The 90 degree eyepiece comes in very handy when using on the action end of a rifle. That is unless you have the stock off. Some day I will find a 17" or the 22" on ebay for a great price an snag it.
    Other uses are to take one to a gun show an know what your buying or have a very good reason for not. Also I take it into a gun store an have a look at a gun I might be interested in. Not all New guns are in great shape from the factory as I have found out. I suppose just like everything else, it all depends on how old that tool was an who was using it. Many of the experts behind the counter have never seen the inside of a bore and this can give you a bargaining tool for a lower price also.
    As far as the LED flashlite goes, you can pickup one at Walmart for $20.00 which will screw into the adapter.( MiniMagLite LED )
    Now the really great thing to have is the camera that attaches to the eyepiece. This can be attached to a monitor or a computer, then send a file to your client showing the problem or what not. Might be just the thing for a gunsmith's website, to show the before an after work that you can do. But way to much change for my retired wallet. ( but still looking for one)
    Be careful when you order one as one size does not fit all. I have one that will not fit into a .30 bore. The other works on .22's on up,( second one I bought).
    This will be one item you will never regret buying after you use it the first time.

Just another Ghost story, believe it or not.

Ghost101

Boolit Buddy
    Ooops, I should've read all the post before putting my 2 cents in. I agree with all of the others. Glad you bought this item, it will change so much of what you do.

Ghost101

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Well, the borescope came in today.
    It does have the focusing eyepiece.
    I think I scoped about 50 barrels tonight.
    Pretty awesome little piece.
    You ain't seen nothing yet. Wait until you shine the white light of LED down a bore.

On the down side . . . The long range forecast for the CSA Shoot . . . Rain all weekend.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post

On the down side . . . The long range forecast for the CSA Shoot . . . Rain all weekend.

Rick
    Wow, I'll bet that really slows a Californian down eh?
    We Arkansans can shoot in the rain.

That sort of money is hard to justify for anyone, but I guess as a gunsmith you really need a quality, reliable piece of kit. Me, I plumped for an el-cheapo borescope from Hong Kong, cost me a whole $16, has approx. 5 ft of cable and plugs into my laptop. I'm sure that the resolution isn't up to what you got, but this is adequate for my needs, and has already proven to be invaluable.

When I bought my first muzzleloader not long ago (used) I noticed that the cleaning patches seemed to be catching at the breech end. A 39" .45 cal barrel meant that I had no hope of seeing down there. So I bought the 'scope, and when I poked it down I saw that the nipple drum (is that the correct term?) actually protruded into the barrel. With the aid of the 'scope I was able to gradually file the drum down so that it matched the contour of the barrel.
    Recently I was interested in buying a used flinter at a gunshop (also 39" barrel, .50 cal). I asked if they had a borescope to check out the barrel and was told no, they don't have anything like that! So I asked if I could bring in mine, I set up the laptop on the counter and proceeded to poke the 'scope down the barrel. A couple of the employees watched over my shoulder, from their interest I presume they had never seen anything like this before . Anyhow, the barrel looked pretty good, no obvious signs of any nasties down there.
    It gave me peace-of-mind before buying.

Oh, and it's easy to take photos with one of these, just click a button .

I'm sure, goodsteel, that yours will get a lot of use.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Wow, I'll bet that really slows a Californian down eh?
    We Arkansans can shoot in the rain.
    Californian?

Geez, no reason to be insulting.

Not to worried about me in the rain, I've been wet a couple of times already but not too fond of the guns in the rain if not necessary.

Rick

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master

When I worked in the gun shop we charged $15.00 for customers that only wanted to have their bores scoped. DO NOT let ham handed customers use your scope, it is a delicate instrument. Mine is over 15 yrs. old and still going strong.

Larry

Boolit Master

My locksmith used a scope when he drilled one of my gunsafes in December. I took a look and could see exactly where the lever I needed to trip was located to open the safe. Without he scope we would have had to destroy the door.

gmsharps

Boolit Grand Master

Update

Here's an extremely interesting little tid bit for those that have the Gradient Lens borescope. Even for anyone with a Mini-Mag flashlight for that matter.

I paid Gradient lens $95 plus shipping for their LED light. I gotta admit that I do love it, what an incredible improvement it is.

But now I'm a little sick over doing that. No, I'm a lot sick over that.

Lowes and Home Depot sell an LED conversion for the Mini-Mag flashlight. The same Mini-Mag that the Gradient Lens borescope uses.

This LED conversion sells for $7.95 . . .

I went to a shoot last weekend with Tim and since I had so strongly recommended he get the LED I got one from Lowes and gave it to him before he did what I did. Spend $105 at Gradient Lens.

He says it fit perfectly and works great.

Rick
    Last edited by cbrick; 04-02-2014 at 09:41 PM.

CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it does. It works exactly like the one Rick had on his at the shoot. I took the Pepsi challenge and LED wins. I could tell no differance between the two lights, and LED freakin rocks.
    Think of it like going on a cave crawl with a carbide lamp, and then somebody hands you a Surefire flashlight. You'll push the old mag light bulb away like it was diseased or something.

BTW, one tip: When you are installing the light, it doesn't work like you think it would. When you read a note that says DO NOT REMOVE, then DO NOT REMOVE!!!!

I have a mds incorporated flexable one I got a while ago

Boolit Master
    This is an old thread,,, but still a good read.

I bought a MDS myself several years ago,, and it has proved it's worth. It has saved me money,,, AND proven to many how bad OR good a barrel & chamber is.

But I also found that technology has improved,, and I bought one of the Lyman units a couple of years ago. I like the simple ability to use a SD card & transfer pics to my computer & such when necessary. My MDS doesn't have that capability. I did buy the MDS system that was supposed to allow me to record & download images & such,, but the software wasn't user friendly for a hillbilly like me & I never got it to work.

The MDS system is very good quality,, and it has some differences over the Hawkeye,, but both work quite well. However,, the Lyman is a more affordable & easier to use unit in general.

One trick I have used to assist my inspections is a supply of different O-rings. ID hole the same diameter as the rod,, and the OD similar to the bore diameter. Keeps the rod "centered" in the bore & easier to use.

mine is flexable shaft and scope you look into, not a camera at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast