RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Olde Eynsford loading recomendations ?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Wes Deams, took 3rd place prone at the Wyoming Midrange championships yesterday shooting 2f Eynsford in his 45-70, I believe he shot a 100x5 at 200. His final score was 264 x7 , shot from prone, especially when the conditions that were interesting to say the least, and shooting with a spotter who he had never met until they got paired up that morning... Speaks quite well of both the shooter and the load he uses.
    There are quite a few folks out there shooting the stuff, so it's just a matter of time...
    Last edited by Don McDowell; 06-02-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Kurt, I think I have asked before but I am still wondering what variation you found in loading batch to batch?

As you know;
    When changing batches with the old GOEX, accuracy was all over the map. Worst case, you could use up half a case of powder trying to reproduce an accuracy load. Some batches never would shoot well. Based on my testing to date, Olde E might have proven half its market place worth in the accuracy department. The other half concerns batch to batch repeatability.

One big attraction back in 2000 to the then new Swiss Powder when it became available for North American rifleman was that an accuracy load could be had right away and was easily checked with a few shots. And in fact half the reason Swiss was SO attractive at the higher price was the almost no waste of supplies and time casting bullets and the expense of lead, primers, powder and then the range time testing when starting on a new powder batch. Powder that is 30% less expensive is no deal when you have to muck around burning pounds and pounds of it hoping to find a new accuracy load.

Depending on how consistent the batch to batch aspect of Olde Eynsford works out to be will predict its acceptance with competitive shooters.
    Michael Rix
    I just got a case of OE in last week. I wanted to try it in my 40-65 with that mold I got from you. The lot was different from the couple pounds I got last year. My Swiss load was 65gr. I started at 65 OE but had to use 2-.060 wads to get any compression and seat the boolit normally. I was shooting at 125yd and 1gr increases. The group went from 2" tall down to 3/4" tall at 68gr. That is when the sky opened up and I had to quit. I have a match this weekend and wanted to get something together to shoot there. For now this is close enough till I can get some more range time.
    I originally got the sample OE for a 45-70 for mid and long range competition. That gun likes 68gr of OE and I have a match at Camp Atterburry next week so I will see what difference there is. Unfortunately I will be going with the same 68gr load since there won't be any time to test and see. I sure hate testing loads in a match but there isn't much choice this time.
    According to Jerry at Powder inc there hasn't been but 2 lot numbers so for. I'll let you know what happens.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master

Shooting buddy gave me a pound of FFg and I had a 38-55 to check out so I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Didn't have any wads but best I can tell 1/8" compression is a great start. Resizing die was a bit agressive so hope the "fireformed" brass will hope a few more grains of powder.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345