RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Auction bids for .22`s

In Remembrance

Auction bids for .22`s

I`m watching an online auction site local to me. There are some ammo lots listed. One is for (4) 50 count Remington .22`s that are Mexican made in the red and white boxes. The bidding started Friday and ends next Tuesday. So far the bid is up to $28!Robert

Things are pretty bad when .22 LR is commanding that kind of price. And, I don't see it getting any better to be quiet honest. My reasoning is this. With the next presidential elections not far in the future, people are fearful of what is going to happen. Will things get better or worse for gun owners? Couple that with the fact that many who refuse to buy at current prices, are holding off and hoping the price of .22 LR will come down. If it does, then they will create panic buy Pt. 2. Most of us are sitting on what .22 LR we have with caution.

Where once upon a time our beloved .22's were our main source for fun and small game, that has changed. I now view my .22's as I would a centerfire when it comes to plinking in the way of cost of ammuntion. Of course I cast and reload, and that being the case I can load 2K of .38's for the price of 1K of .22 LR. Go figure....

Oh, I just picked up a Rossi 92 .38/.357 with a 24" octogonal barrel. It's my new 'Big Ole .22'.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Buddy
    I got worried first when bill was the man trying to take our guns and stocked up in the 90's. I bought 7000 rds of bulk ammo at 8.99 a brick (500). Later I got 2000 more of laupa match at 5.00 a box of 50. I feel I did the right thing now that I see how crazy things have gotten. Rick!

Boolit Grand Master

In 20 years you haven't shot up 9,000 .22LR? Wow! You need to get to work.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

In Remembrance
    LOL 22 ammo hasn't sky rocketed, just some people want to pay more. It still comes to the stores at affordable prices, you just have to be lucky enough to go to the store on the right day.

Boolit Master
    Went to a gunshow today. Not much in the way of 22 there, but of what I did see the lowest priced box of bulk 22 was priced a $85. OUCH! It will catch up sooner or later. With the mfg's running 24/7 it has to eventually.......doesn't it???? Glad I've got what I've got. It may have to last a while longer for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    I wish I had as much centerfire as I do rimfire. I'm holding but if it doesn't start to come down it'd be silly not to offload it for those prices and convert it into lead and reloading supplies.

If I could trade 1500 22 for 1k 762x39/54 I'd do it all day long

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I gave up on 22LR's when the ammo disappeared. I refuse to get up at 6:15 to get to WalFart and stand inline with those morons. LGS's have it but at around 10˘ a round! Gun shows have it but 12˘ a round!

I now lite-load 38's 45LC's and 223's to get quite slow loads to shoot instead of 22LR's. More fun and cost is really only the primer.

I have "preserved" all my 22LR guns and stored them away for future generations to hunt for ammo! Haven't fired a 22 in almost 2 years.
    If prices ever come down, I'll dig them out.

I can't believe the number of people still buying 22LR guns and rifles at my LGS's! What is wrong with them!

My motto: "Shoot only what you can reload."

banger

Boolit Buddy
    .32 is the new .22 ... That is the way I look at it.
    If you are casting your own, the price of loading and the availability of my reloads for .32 H&R is much better than that of .22lr for those applications. A 100 grain does well and powder goes a long way. I was saving what is left of the .22lr for the kids, but my oldest daughter does just fine with the Ruger SSM too.

In Remembrance

Well, the auction has ended. The final price was $28 for the (4) 50 count cardboard boxes.Robert

Boolit Bub
    I attended a gun and ammunition auction at a local auction house in Northern Nevada two weeks ago. .22 LR was going for 110 150 a brick, plus they had to pay a 10% buyers premium on top of that. Other centerfire calibers were going for between .80 to 1.00 or more per round. Watched one guy pay $80 for two boxes of American Eagle .40S&W. I think most of the buyers came over from California.
    We're starting to see ammunition in some calibers fairly regularly, but I haven't seen .22LR on the shelf in a couple years.

Boolit Grand Master

I've thought of unloading some of my 22lr ammo for a profit, but I'm worried how long this will take to normalize. As mentioned, the next election will again drive another frenzy if the dems are elected into house again. As a whole, the country doesnt pay much attention to the congressional elections. Sad, but it is what it is. Ignorance and stupidity. I just asked a coworker if they knew who out House representative was for our area and our 2 Senate members.....got a dumb puzzled look.

Senators- Chambliss and Isakson
    HR- Graves

All Republicans.

Boolit Master
    Ammo is starting to show up. In the last month I purchased three bricks of Wolf Target online and yesterday my brother bought me a brick of CCI SV for $50 at a local store in Pa. Little pricey? Yes, but worth it to me.

I went to a gun show this past weekend and lots of rimfire ammo on the tables at fairly high prices. Lots of people bitchin about the price as well. Didn't see anyone buy any. But if you think the days of $8.97 bulk Federal packs of 550 are coming back to Wal Mart then you might as well dream about gas for under $1.

Never tried to sell any of my .22 stash but I have been offered as much as $65 for a Federal bulk pack that I did pay $8.97 for years ago. It's tempting, but it can not be replaced for that price so it stays with me. One guy actually offered me $400 for one of the bricks of Remington 33 grain 22 mag ammo I have. Crazy times for sure.

Be patient, ammo should fill the shelves in a year or two at reasonable prices.
    East Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by MTtimberline View Post
    .32 is the new .22 ... That is the way I look at it.
    If you are casting your own, the price of loading and the availability of my reloads for .32 H&R is much better than that of .22lr for those applications. A 100 grain does well and powder goes a long way. I was saving what is left of the .22lr for the kids, but my oldest daughter does just fine with the Ruger SSM too.
    I looking at it the same way also.I will load up some 32S&W and 32ACP to shoot in my 327 and use that for trapping when i am low on 22lr that I have some of to last me for some time but you never know what will come next.But will save enough for the guns that shoot 22lr just to have it and go to 32 if have to for trapping.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Last summer Palmetto State Armory in Columbia S.C. had a couple of pallet loads of Federal HP 525 round value packs come in. They were selling them at $25.00 per 525 rounds with a ten box limit. I bought the ten value packs and I am glad that I did. I will wait on a similar deal before I shoot these up.
    I stopped by Green Top Sporting goods near Ashland Va. yesterday. They had CCI .22lr in 50 round boxes limit 2 per customer. I was behind a couple at the register and they got 4 50 round boxes for $16.00.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

I guess I need to count my blessings. In the last month I've purchased four 555 packs of Winchesters for $17 and change each. Our town has a Fleet/Farm, a Dunhams, and a Walmart. Lately, if one doesn't have them another does.
    Last time I was in Dunhams, the kid said, "When we put them on the shelf, people call all their friends. We keep them behind the counter. You just have to ask."

As I was leaving one of the 'sorta-local' gunshops the other day I saw, for the first time in about 2 years, a couple boxes of Federal bulk 22 on the counter... I did a double-take & quickly backpedaled to check 'em out, only to burst out laughing when I saw the pricetag... As I recall, they wanted around $70 per box... Continued on out to the car & explained to the missus that she wouldn't ever have to wait while I browse that store anymore, as I added them to the mental list of places that won't be seeing my business ever again.

Kinda sad though really, since this was one of only 3 places I've been able to find components locally, & oddly enough, always seem to have the best inventory. I'd have thought that perhaps it was just due to their prices keeping inventory on the shelf, but they seem to be getting more shipments than the other places I frequent.

I've often wondered what criteria determines where inventory is sent, as shelves around here have remained quite bare despite reading comments from others proclaiming that the 'shortage is over!' for months now!

Boolit Mold
    there is an astonishing amount of .22lr for sale on gunbroker for 60-70$ dollars a brick! i guess that way no one can see their faces and tell them what they think of their price gouging. i say that nobody buys anything from these pirates and just do without until it comes back down to market prices. im a free market capitalist, but this is like selling plywood for 300$ a sheet right before a hurricane.

mike

Boolit Master

I was amazed at what people would pay for 22LR.

But when you think about it if you have a 22 and you don't have the means to manufacture some type of replacement ammo, you are stuck.

Any type of firearm with no ammo is an expensive paperweight.

My personal opinion is that 22LR will be scarce for quite a while. Once the general population gets comfortable and stop buying every round they see, those of us that plan on waiting to restock will be up to bat.

Murphy said "Will things get better or worse for gun owners? Couple that with the fact that many who refuse to buy at current prices, are holding off and hoping the price of .22 LR will come down. If it does, then they will create panic buy Pt. 2. Most of us are sitting on what .22 LR we have with caution."

I cannot think of a scenario where I would sell my 22LR at any price. If I did I might as well sell all my 22 firearms.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.