Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Read the Manual?

Boolit Grand Master

Read the Manual?

Why is it some folks take exception to replies that suggest the poster take the time to actually read a manual? Learning to use something as sophisticated as loading and casting equipment without reading a manual seems to me like the hard way, I've learned the answers to questions I never would have known to ask otherwise by reading loading manuals. Maybe I'm just showing my age but my most-used reloading/casting resource is a hardcopy manual. I'll go to mfg's websites for research after turning a few pages but only if I can't find it in the several manuals I keep nearby.
    Good manuals aren't expensive, they've saved me many times the purchase price by helping me avoid buying or using the wrong components or using the correct components incorrectly.
    I feel if a reply suggests reading a manual it's because a manual has so much more to offer than any forum thread. Last thing I want to do is offend a newbie but having a working relationship with a manual is essential for folks interested in quality cast boolit loads. I don't think that's too much to ask, but that's JMHO.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

On Heaven's Range

I love books and hard copies. I can remember more that way for some reason.

Mr.. Ed
    The only good cast boolit is the one that hits the target

+1 I've got 7 reloading manuals from various sources. Before I ever had equipment I had nosler's number 1. Sitting beside Walt, my mentor, at the bench helped alot. The manual filled in stuff that he didn't show me and often explained why things were done as they were. Read the manual on the throne. Turn off the tv, confuser, etc and read the manual. If you don't like to read or just will not, I can't realy help you.

Boolit Buddy
    Same here. At last count I have 16 manuals, and I study them often. When starting out with a new cartridge or new load for an old standby cartridge I do a comparison search on powders, primers, cartridge length, you name it. For me it is part of the enjoyment of reloading and shooting. I will not even think of using data suggested by someone until I do the research.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye45 View Post
    I love books and hard copies. I can remember more that way for some reason.

Mr.. Ed
    +1. A friend once asked me "How do you do all this stuff you do?" "Man I get the books and I read!"was my answer. I too love the books, something I can go back to, pick up and go over again. We learned how to do it before the internet age came into being!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

HONCHO EMERITUS

I must have at least a dozen manuals. I also go to powder manufacturer's websites for data. Any data that I find on the net is first confirmed through a credible, published source in the manuals or a manufacturer's website. A friend has quickload and that has also become a great resource.

What I don't have is an iphone or other touch screen, web browsing wonder. That is what I believe is making the influx of "what's a good bullet for a mosin?" and "what's a good load for a 30-30?" so much worse the last couple of years. These phones are used as an instant resource for answers and gratification by their users. Basically I think they are the next step in what I like to call the "lazy chain."

Just pop on the web browser app and the all the worlds info is right there waiting for you.

It makes me wonder what most folks would do these days if they walked in to a library and had to find there own reference material?
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Boolit Grand Master
    This is a learning tool

This is a utensil

Don't ask me to use a utensil to teach you because you are too lazy to use an appropriate learning device.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Why is it some folks take exception to replies that suggest the poster take the time to actually read a manual?
    ...snip
    Because they want "their" questions answered, right now, without waiting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

It makes me wonder what most folks would do these days if they walked in to a library and had to find there own reference material?-Dutch4122

Went back to school several years ago and dropped by the library one day. I asked a staff member where the card catalogs were and got a funny look. I was told they used the computers to find books. I got the last laugh, computers were down and I used the card catalog to find the book I was looking for.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    TXGunNut, +++++1!!! I'm a member of a few shooting, handloading, casting groups on FB and I find myself wishing my keyboard had a "buy a quality reloading manual and read it key!" so often it is ridiculous.

I'm glad there are a lot more folks getting in to handload/reloading and while it ain't rocket science the need to start low and work up is the only safe way to proceed, The manuals is where you get this education, like you I just cannot believe the folks who act like you have done them a disservice instead of a helping hand when you suggest this to them !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Why do some folks take exception? Because they are hypocrites. They complain about the current state of the school systems and how they don't teach kids properly. But then they get mad when you tell someone to read a manual because they feel it's okay to spoon feed a new reloader. I'm sorry but there is no excuse for not reading a manual. And asking basic questions that would be answered by a manual should be treated w/ no kindness on our end. Call it tough love on our end. I've said it many times before and people get mad when I say it. Reloading isn't for everyone. If you can't grasp the concepts from reading a manual then you should find another hobby. Do you want to be next to a guy at the range that doesn't understand how to pick a proper load? I don't and neither should you. I learned completely by book w/ no mentor. This isn't rocket science but you are dealing w/ propellants.

Boolit Grand Master

It's quite possible to learn how to do many things by watching youtube videos and asking a few questions. It's probably even possible to assemble workable ammunition without opening a book but I didn't learn it that way and like most here I don't want to shoot next to them. I'm showing my age again but I think to gain a good undertanding of the basic principles behind reloading and casting you have to spend at least a few hours reading the instruction portion of a good manual, preferably more. Like many of you I own several manuals and regularly sit down to read them, I always learn something new. I had a good mentor; Steve Camp made sure I read the manual. Someone mentioned him on another thread today and it reminded me how lucky I was to have known him.

Boolit Master
    There's much more to a casting and/or reloading manual than just load recipes, such as safety precautions and reloading steps. If someone is too lazy to read a manual, in order to get their loads, what does that say about how safe they and their reloads are. A generation or two has been sent out into America without a proper education, having been babied and given all the material items they wanted, and are now demanding instant gratification.

I wonder how many of the recent batch of casters and reloaders will still be doing it after the newness wears off, and after they discover that there is more to it that they ever imagined.

I'm glad to help, but don't and won't post load information.

This kind of conversation has been going on for a long time. I predict that this thread won't be the last.

Boolit Master

When all else fails read the manual.Thats is what I have always heard.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by w5pv View Post
    When all else fails read the manual.Thats is what I have always heard.
    My dad used to say something very much like that, he always had a way with mild sarcasm. "RTFM" was a popular reply on the first internet bulletin board I joined, back when they published useful manuals for computers. I read owners' manuals for anything more comlicated than a pocket knife, it's amazing what you'll find there.

Years ago on another Forum I told a poster to get a manual and read it. The moderator got all upset and chastised me severely for it stating: "This is so far beyond what that manual covers that it would be useless.". I replied that his revolutionary loading was so new that I had been doing it since the mid 1960's and I had gotten the idea from a manual back then. That was my last post on that forum.

People who try to load without manuals are the ones who sell blown up guns on E bay, and post their videos of same on UTube. Brodie

There's one thing about reading loading manuals, you don't have to read a lot of BS.
    Mr. Bill2

Boolit Buddy
    I love books I read load manuals before I go to bed at night I have at least a dozen on my nightstand Posting that someone should go read a manual raises hairs first because usually we don't know the whole story behind the person how many manuals they have or not or how well they comprehend them
    What is the reason to tell someone to go read a manual? Have you never heard don't say anything if you can't say something nice? Does it physically pain you to roll past a post that you don't want to answer I mean why bother having the forum at all every thing is wrote in stone in the lyman manual
    I think manuals are more than essential but telling someone to go read them is not what I am here for I don't understand the crying about newbies either ignore them or try to help

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill2 View Post
    There's one thing about reading loading manuals, you don't have to read a lot of BS.
    Amen brother!

Guys welcome to the new and greatest library there is, just type in your question and you will find answers to it. I'm not big on giving out load data to anyone but I will give info. as to where to find it and sometimes how. Such as the google search setup for us by one of our members. This is the new age it will not back up 10 20 nor 30 yrs. just cause we want it to so this new generation will read a book. They are taught in school to use the computer to find knowledge.
    Guess what when the people are the same age as us they will be saying the same thing, our parents and mentors told us read the book, they will tell the kids read the internet, by then it will be something new in design far ahead of what we have now. Just give these guys the search engine to help them.
    When I came on here I read lots and lots of threads on loading the 40S&W cause the manuals don't really tell me what to look for and how to do the things it takes to keep it from leading. Yes in a very general way the books told me but this sight is unserpast in the knowledge any book has.
    Did your Dad tell you to read the manual on how to use a drill or a handsaw or even how to sharpen that mower blade. Well the internet will.
    JMO
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast