Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Squirrel of the Season! Graphic Pic And Dog Story

First Squirrel of the Season! Graphic Pic And Dog Story

Hello,

I was shooting on my range today, testing .22LR handloads.

At 30yds, a largish fox squirrel appeared.

My mind went, "squirrel!"

It saw me at about the same time, so I dialed down the 'scope to 4.5x, which is the minimum setting, stood up, did a Hasty Hasty sling, and sent the bullet.

The handloaded 40gn HP struck right behind the lungs - very poor placement on my part. I had not had a chance to set the trigger, so I was operating with a 5# trigger instead of a crisp 12oz trigger. I had also not adjusted the parallax off of 100yds. But I know this rifle and it hit only 1/4" further back from where I aimed. The squirrel was moving as well, so it may not have been all me.

Regardless, of the bad placement, the squirrel dropped. I've not seen the local squirrel drop with less-than-precise placement with anything but high velocity HP.

I secured the rifle an got my dog, Nikki, and we walked out there.

Sometime during all this, the squirrel had "come back to life" and was among the trees. I had Nikki sniffing around for it when it fell in among some briers and thick growth that I couldn't make it in. So I gave the command (since she had seen it fall), "Nikki, GET THE SQUIRREL!" and she was in faster than I thought a dog that size could move.

I heard a brief struggle, and Nikki came sauntering back out of the brush, covered with little green burrs and holding a largish squirrel in her mouth.

She put it down at my feet.

Then it tried to get up.

She grabbed it in her mouth and squeezed it until it stopped breathing.

And I have to say, this is something I've not seen a dog do. I've seen them shake prey to break its neck, and I've seen them just chomp. But she just squeezed it and kept on squeezing it even when it bit her.

She put it down.

It was still alive.

Not wanting to make her get bitten again, I just stood on it.

I told her "good girl!" and only then did she show how happy she was with herself.

Here's what we ended up with:

The little specs on Nikki are burrs. The squirrel looks smaller than it was because of dog drool.

Nikki, of course, got to eat the entrails. I don't know what was going on, but I botched the skinning job. The muscle wanted to stay on the skin, and I got little more than the back legs. Wasted about half the animal, but I couldn't figure out any other way. It was hot and I had to get it in before the meat could spoil.

The bullet passed through-and-though, but there were no support structure hit. Additionally, the lil' slug did expand a bit according to the exit wound. I put a hollowpoint in them as part of the handloading process.

I'd still like to know why most of the meat peeled off with the hide when I didn't wait any longer or skin any differently than usual. But overall, it was a good surprise hunt.

Nikki is definitely showing her worth again this year.

Josh

I really don't know why the hide was coming off like that. I've seen it before but can't explain it. There's probably other guys on here that can tell you. Nikki looks like she's smiling.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Congrats to you and Nikki! She looks so happy!

Boolit Buddy
    22 LR handloads???? Never hear of reloading fo rthe 22 LR. But Nikki i sone heck of a dog!

Tom

Hello,

The below pic contains the instructions for handloading the .22LR as I do it.

By clicking the link to go to the full sized picture on Photobucket, you are absolving me of any and all responsibility should you try this and get hurt.

Have fun!

Oh, and if it comes up too small, just click it again and it will be readable.

Josh

Josh I hope you continue to have good luck with the .22lr handloads. Have you ever tried to figure out what its costing you to load these.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Hello,

Cost is very minimal. I have the powder laying around anyway, and so I can afford to experiment a bit.

I can't reload in volume, so it's mostly time spent.

Josh

I'm glad no one was hurt during the dispaching of that dangerous game. Whew! I'll be in therapy for a week looking at this gut wrenching horror of the disembowelment of rodentia sciurus vulgaris.

I like Nicky.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-08-2010 at 09:32 AM.

Forgot to say that's pretty resourceful.

Banned

reason why skin stuck to the meat.

it's a fox squirrel

everyone i've killed has done pretty much the same thing. Grey squirrels, it just don't happen. Dunno why, just does. I think it has to do with the skin being thicker on fox squirrels.

Good deal on the squirrel hunting story!

Boolit Master
    Nice looking dog and rifle, too.
    Paul

Boolit Master

What Blammer said, Fox squirrels are just plain tough to clean, I try not to shoot them if I have a choice.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Nikki needs a hug from me.

Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Nikki needs a hug from me.

She'd gladly accept it.

She was in Nikki Nirvana over the weekend. I took her camping, and one of the best things you can do to keep a dog calm at a campsite is to take it for a walk right off the bat.

That's what I did.

As I was walking her around the campground, she was charged by a bunch of children, I'm guessing from 5 to 12, all at once. I made her sit, and she got so many hugs from the "people puppies" that she wasn't sure what to do.

So after trying to lick all the faces, she gave up, gave in, and let herself be loved on.

Then the father came over and she jumped up on him, much to my embarrassment (she knows better... I have trained her not to do this unless it's by command). The man didn't seem to mind though, and he did sorta' give the visual command, which are both hands held palm up.

Then a bit further down a pit wiener charged her. She just pricked her ears up. I could almost hear her thoughts: "I say, what is this? A new type of squirrel?" I gave her the command to sit, and she watched the thing bluff charge and shy off, barking.

Next day the owner complimented me on how well behaved Nikki is, and said he wished he could make his lil' dog behave like that.

I felt sorry for the guy. He was an older man, late '60s early '70s. I wish I had had time to teach him a bit about modern dog training techniques, but I think he would have viewed that as an insult.

I told Nikki that I put her picture and movie up on the web and she's getting all sorts of compliments from "smart" to "beautiful". I then told her I didn't see it. She grinned and lay down.

I do not know how much language she actually understands. I talk to her a lot, and have since she was a rescued pup. She definitely knows a LOT of nouns and several actions. I've tested this thoroughly - for example, "take" will get her in the mindset to take something, and the noun will dictate what she will take.

I set a food bowl and a bone side by side, tell her to "take the bowl" or "take the bone", and she'll get it right 9/10 times. And I chose these for their phonetic similarities.

Anyway, here's a movie to enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lCz0lXZQq0

Josh

I dont know how you skin em, but I find it best to put the squirrel in my left hand belly up and pull the skin tight then cut and gut. Then pull the skin back again as you did with your initial cut and that should bring your cut to the ribs. Make another cut between the skin and ribs, using the ribs as a kind of guide. Do this on both sides. After that you should be able pull the skin away from the meat from hips to shoulder. Make your cuts on the back legs and keep peeling. When you get the back legs skinned out, make your cuts on the front legs and pulling from back to front, like taking off a sweater, until you get the skin to the head. Then cleave off the head and your done.
    I dunno it never seemed any harder than anything else, but that's the only kind of tree rat I ever hunted. I probably just dont know any better
    Happy Hunt'n!

A needle for inflating footballs and compressed air. Put the needle just under the skin and inflate. Works great on Beaver.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 09-10-2010 at 05:48 PM.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Man.....
    I haven't blown up a beaver for years.....
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Check this thread, .22 lr primed brass 4 sale!

I don't need another addiction! Info for someone else.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...423#post994423

Best all, 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Woo Hoo! Thank you Suh!

Josh

Boolit Master

Tougher than a grey?!?!?! They are tough in their own right!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.