WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Remington 8/81 25, 30 32 Rem

Boolit Buddy

Remington 8/81 25, 30 32 Rem

What should a man expect to pay for one of these in the respective calibers? I've seen some around and some seemed extremely cheap, some expensive. I don't know a thing about them other than ammo would be hard to find.

Did a quick search on gunbroker, not too many of these on there, most are pricey, at least compared to the samples I've seen around.

Josh

Boolit Master

There is brass out there, though, not too expensive. Buffalo Arms, I believe. I have not spotted one of these for a while, but I remember that I thought that they did seem fairly inexpensive too. Especially for real steel and walnut. The loads are all kind of 30-30 power, I suspect that is why they are not as popular as they really should be.

Doug

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by 0802 View Post
    What should a man expect to pay for one of these in the respective calibers? I've seen some around and some seemed extremely cheap, some expensive. I don't know a thing about them other than ammo would be hard to find.

Did a quick search on gunbroker, not too many of these on there, most are pricey, at least compared to the samples I've seen around.

Josh
    A Model 8 or 81 is high on my wish list, too. I have a Model 141 pump in .30 Rem. and it shoots cast in the same league as a .30/30 Marlin or Winchester. Good dies are pricey in the Remington calibers, unless you luck into a .35. Full length resizing is a must in my pump, and I assume so in the semi-autos. The Remington calibers are NOT identical to the Winchesters, close, but no cigar. Real honest to goodness Remington .30 Rem. brass is reasonably priced at www.huntington's.com Forming .32 would be easy from .30, .25s might need neck reaming, but I can't say.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    I have no trouble making .25 Remington from .30 Remington with a pass through the .25 Rem sizing die. The current .30 Remington brass is very good stuff, and seems to last a long time. I wouldn't expect that necking it up to .32 Remington would be any trouble either. Don't bother with trying Winchester caliber dies or other makeshifts; the neck might be right but the case shape is wrong. The most common 8/81s seem to be in .35 Remington, then .30 Remington, with the model 8's only in .25 and .32, which seem about equally rare in these parts. The 81's also commonly come in .300 Savage, which is still factory loaded, if you want to avoid having to make and load cases.

As for the price, I've seen them going for $275 to around $400 or a little more. The tang peep sight seems to enhance the asking price; drilled receivers for scopes seem to reduce it.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I have no trouble making .25 Remington from .30 Remington with a pass through the .25 Rem sizing die.
    I've had the same experience making 25 Rem. Are you shooting CB's in yours? If so which bullets are giving the best results?

My 25 Rem is a Model 14.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Boolit Master

I haven't shot any cast boolits in my .25 Remingtons as yet; one a Model 8 and the other a Model 30. Another round tuit endeavor. I shoot nothing but cast from my Model 30 in .30 Remington, so I guess it evens out.

Boolit Buddy
    Swung by the shop the other day. Three Model 8s:

32 Rem -- $695
    30 Rem -- $295 -- Reblued
    25 Rem -- $395

Has ammo for 30 and 25, 3 boxes for 30 Rem, 1 for 25 Rem I think. All the guns are in decent shape, but certainly are not pristine. The 30 Rem comes with a box, all other is extra.

I think this a bit high, what think you?

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post

I haven't shot any cast boolits in my .25 Remingtons as yet; one a Model 8 and the other a Model 30. Another round tuit endeavor. I shoot nothing but cast from my Model 30 in .30 Remington, so I guess it evens out.
    I've got a round tuit but haven't got a 25 mold yet.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Quote Originally Posted by 0802 View Post
    Swung by the shop the other day. Three Model 8s:

32 Rem -- $695
    30 Rem -- $295 -- Reblued
    25 Rem -- $395

Has ammo for 30 and 25, 3 boxes for 30 Rem, 1 for 25 Rem I think. All the guns are in decent shape, but certainly are not pristine. The 30 Rem comes with a box, all other is extra.

I think this a bit high, what think you?
    Depending on where you live makes a difference. Reno, NV area the .30 would be well upwards of $200, but that better be a GOOD blue job. A .25 is usually higher than the other calibers, maybe fewer made. A .32 at $695? Only with a factory letter stating it was Eliaphet Remington's own! Haggle like an Arab camel trader. (All the above is IMO, I am noted for buying high and selling low.)
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Buddy
    My Late buddy the gunshop owner offered me a real clean untapped, unblued Remington pump in .32 Remington for $200 about 3 years ago. I was not ready to invest in the dies and brass needed to get 'er shooting. Looking back, it was a good deal. Sometimes there's just not enough room in the safe, cash in the wallet, or BOTH !

Boolit Buddy
    Its coming down to one of these or a Marlin 45-70 1895, new, $520 out the door. Want to get one before this Remington takeover takes effect.

Josh