RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Casting alloy for 9mm and 45acp

Casting alloy for 9mm and 45acp

Hey guys, I just got my molds for 9mm and 45acp and wanted to know what alloy people out there find best for these 2 calibers. I have 1100lbs of WW lead, 250lbs of pure lead and around 65lbs of Pewter to mix for my alloy.

Would 50/50 WW/Pure with 1 to 2 % pewter work good or does a harder alloy work best for pistol calibers? Do I want these to mushroom or should I try for a hard cast like my 45-70 boolits?

Doc

Boolit Master

I haven't found a need to make real hard ones for my .45, 9mm is a faster round. My .45 is a 50/50 mix with no problems up to 850 fps. Pure WW with a little pewter should be good for the 9mm when shooting over 1000 fps.

Banned

I go to the soft side of ww's for my 45's and to the harder side for my 9m's.
    I don't water-drop my handgun boolits, so I add soft lead to the 45's, and some lino-type to the 9m alloy.
    you might be able to just throw a bit of tin in the ww alloy and go with it, certainly to get started I'd do that and observe what the guns told me.

Boolit Grand Master

I manage fine with straight WW alloy for both, but if I have some softer range
    lead, I'll mix it in with WW about 50-50 for .45 ACP - or even straight range lead
    will work fine. But heck, I have gotten full power .357 Mag to work just great
    with 8 BHN range lead - which "everybody knows" is impossible. . . . . . . for some
    folks in some guns, apparently.

Haven't actually tried softer for 9mm, never really seemed like it was necessary
    to go "pick a fight" with that particular cartridge. WWts (air cooled) works well
    and so many others have issues that I haven't (yet) bothered to try softer.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

50/50 ww/pb in my .45 and ww in 9mm, both aircooled. Just me, but with any of my cast loads I don't even think of bullet expansion, just want a nice flat meplat, good penetration, and shot placement.

Shooting varmits and groudhogs, etc with .44 Colt cap and ball with pure lead balls, if I find a shot ball, there is never any expansion to speak of, just rifling marks, and they kill nicely, so I gave up on thinking about expansion. I let the meplat do the damage.

It is my belief that penetration is paramount with handgun boolits, as they have a poor sectional density to start with.
    Last edited by Hickok; 03-07-2014 at 09:30 AM.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy
    Doc:

For the 45 acp.

If you are using them for plinking you can use almost any alloy that you get full mould fill out as long as they fit the gun.

If you want the best accuracy possible use about 18bhn alloy. I use 2-6-92. I have found that out of a custom built match gun you will get better accuracy at 50 yds with the harder alloy.
    As always "fit is king".

This is just IMO worth what you paid for it.

Dave C.
    Last edited by Dave C.; 03-07-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Brain fart.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Bub
    Just use your clip on wheel weights and water cool them. The wheel weights give an inconsistent bhn so I've found that the water cooling evens them out. Plus when you're casting it's just easier to do all the same motions. Less chance of a screw up. Save the pewter and other lead for when your ww run out. Not that that will be any time soon with 1100lbs. I'm jealous!!!

I have been using range lead for my 45's after smelting it, I get a reading of about 8 on my Lee hardness tester, when I make ingots for my .309 rifle boolits, I add some lead free solder. That gets it up to about 10 1/2 to 11. Just right for what I am doing.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have fired many thousands of rounds of .45 ACP from range scrap. Some that you can dig your nail into. No issues with leading, cycling or accuracy.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto here on range scrap. I use it in 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp with excellent results.

I don't shoot .45, but all my 9mms work fine with strait COWW. As has been said, if I have range scrap or soft lead I'll mix it about 50/50 and it still runs fine in both my 9s and the .38 Spl. If I push those too hard in the .357 it starts to lead. Mtgun44 - I don't want to hijack htis, so if you don't mind, PM me with how you push a boolit that soft that fast in .357 w/o lead.
    All government without the consent of the governed is the very definition of slavery - Jonathan Swift
    You have enemies? Good, it means you've done something with your life - Winston Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

histed - no particular magic, good fit, good designs, good lube, slow powders. PM sent.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

For 45acp. I just use range scrap. If the mold is not filling out well, I will add 1% tin. For 9mm, depends. If it's 1050fps or so & slower, range scrap works fine. Faster, then clip ww seems to be about right.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mtgun44 View Post
    i manage fine with straight ww alloy for both, but if i have some softer range
    lead, i'll mix it in with ww about 50-50 for .45 acp - or even straight range lead
    will work fine. But heck, i have gotten full power .357 mag to work just great
    with 8 bhn range lead - which "everybody knows" is impossible. . . . . . . For some
    folks in some guns, apparently.

haven't actually tried softer for 9mm, never really seemed like it was necessary
    to go "pick a fight" with that particular cartridge. Wwts (air cooled) works well
    and so many others have issues that i haven't (yet) bothered to try softer.

Bill

ditto!
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master

I use straight clip on wheel weight for 45 ACP and add 2% for 9mm boolits, all air cooled. I found that in my guns, the 9 requires a little harder boolit for accuracy.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Bub
    .45 I use 2/3 WW 1/3 lead and 12 inches 95/5 solder but there are people on here with way more expertise than me. Oh, and I water drop.

Boolit Master

Looks like I am the odd man out. I use 50-50-2 for both. My 9mm was having leading problems with straight COWW+2. Problem went away when I softened them up. I do load a fairly light load however, 3.8 grs BE over 124 gr TC.