Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rx7. reloder 7

Boolit Buddy

18.5grs of RX7 under a 311284 slug is crazy accurate in my Miruku 1895 Winchester lever action in 30-40 Krag.
    Ore'mus
    Flintlocks Rock!

Been looking for some good info using reloader 7 in a .458 socom .

Got a bottle of RL7 today going to try few in the 700 Rem 308 with Lee 150 FN's & a few in the Savage Striker 7-08 with lee 130's , Lyman 285641's. Range report coming soon.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Got this afternoon with the 7-08 Striker not a steller group but was off my back pack rested on a stump in the woods , with only cranking off 10 rounds I can say I really like this powder. I found it clean burning and meters like sand . I'll load some more up for this thing and I loaded some this morning for the 308 and I'll get to the range for better testing
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I even loaded up some rounds with it for my 32-20.
    Would you share those loads or lead me to your source material for those. I shoot the .32-20 in a TC.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tar Heel View Post
    Would you share those loads or lead me to your source material for those. I shoot the .32-20 in a TC.
    I'd be glad to but they didn't work well in the rifle or revolver, possibly just didn't like the Lee 314-90 boolit. I used 13.4 grs (accuracy load from Lyman's CBH) and it didn't shoot well in the 92 and had lots of unburned powder in the SAA revolver. NOE just made a few 314008 moulds and one is on it's way to me soon.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I'd be glad to but they didn't work well in the rifle or revolver, possibly just didn't like the Lee 314-90 boolit. I used 13.4 grs (accuracy load from Lyman's CBH) and it didn't shoot well in the 92 and had lots of unburned powder in the SAA revolver. NOE just made a few 314008 moulds and one is on it's way to me soon.
    I'm using a Accurate Mold from Tom at 120gr in the 10" TC tube. A real tack driver too. I've heard of others using RL7 but it's position on the burn charts has kind of steered me away. Other powders prob will work better but I'm running low on the others and have 2lb of RL7 I use for the 45-70. Thanks for the reply. The pistol powders do work better in the revolvers....especially with the 90ish grain stuff.
    Last edited by Tar Heel; 04-08-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm hoping to use one load for both rifle and revolvers. I have a shooting buddy who is convinced that his 100 yr old rifles and revolvers in 38-40, 44 Colt & 44-40 among others shoot best with Holy Black. I'm unable to prove him wrong so will have to give it a try since there's plenty of KIK FFFg around here. I'll have a .313 sizer coming for my Lyman soon and the Lyman is loaded with SPG so it might just happen in the next few weeks.
    I'll save my precious Rx7 for catridges that appreciate it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    For your .32-20 plinkers, I have had good luck with 3gr of Bullseye, 231, and HP38. For a tad warmer load with my 120gr cast bullets I use 6gr of AA7. That load may be a little stiff for older guns. Remember I shoot these in a 10" T/C. For an absolutely rocking load IN A T/C ONLY, I use 15gr of H110 with a .308 110gr varmint bullet on top. For some reason the T/C LOVES cast bullets sized to .312 even though it is a .308 bore. Go figure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    I found the bfr 45/70 didn't do well with conventional rifle powders and I really found RL7 to perform well when I had this revolver.
    Bazinga! I only bought RL7 to load the .45-70 for my 10" T/C. Now you know why I have two pounds left. HA!

Boolit Buddy
    I used to use 25 grains Rx7 with a 311284 in .30-06 for offhand matches in one of my old 1903 Springfields. When it became unavailable for a while the switch was made to 4759, which works as well. I like them both.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GMW View Post
    18.5grs of RX7 under a 311284 slug is crazy accurate in my Miruku 1895 Winchester lever action in 30-40 Krag.
    I have to same gun and mold. I will give the load a try. Thanks.

RL7 is #1 in my .444 slinging the Lee 310 WFN . It is also useful in my .303. I wish I had 10 lbs of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Threads like this make me wonder why some powders stand out from other powders with similar burn rates. Fascinating stuff.

I'm using 21gr RL 7 in my 7.62x39mm SKS's, works great! This is using the Lee 312-312-2R mold, lubed with Lyman Orange Magic and given a golden coating of Lee Liquid Alox.Works for jacketed too!

It's a favorite in my .375 Winchester...
    An Honest Man Keeps His Horse Saddled
    http://www.cardinalguns.com
    http://www.riflehunter.net

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3584ELK View Post
    It's a favorite in my .375 Winchester...
    I discovered Rx7 soon after I purchased my 375 over 20 yrs ago, pretty sure they were made for each other. I've found a few other cartridges since then that like it too, works OK in a few more.

ETA: The RCBS Cast Bullet Manual lists 24.0 start and 26.0 maximum for the 308-165-SIL in the pistol section. The current Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook lists even higher maximums for similar boolits. Looks like the Alliant data is very conservative.

be carefull with the manual from Lyman in the RL-7 section for the max loads for the 308 winchester. I would approach these loads very cautiously as the max rifle load for this round nearly gave me a very bad experience with my Remington 700 heavy barrel. I still think it is the load from the manual but at the very least I would caution anybody on the MAX loads for the 308 Winchester and RL-7 powder ...

in the Lyman book ... RX-7 is the same as RL-7 ... can't figure why they did the X thing but it is the same Aliant powder.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123