WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Load data-Cast 45-Rossi Lever

Sawbuck Slim, you wrote: No choice, will have to go on a road trip in search of a powder, still have to make up my mind, one day its unique, then Im thinking unique wouldnt do what I want in the rifle,would be fine in the revolver, so Im still at it.
    If you are loading for any revolver other than a heavy frome Ruger, develop your load for your revolver and take what you get with that ammo in your rifle. You could segregate your ammo by bullet shape but it is still risky and very easy to bulge a chamber in the six xhooter.

I have SAA and Smith & Wessons and a 92 in .45 colt. The 92 does just fine with the revolver loads of 7.8 grains Unique under a 240 and 225 grain bullet. Not as snappy as the rifle would handle but adequate and does not cost $200 + for cylinder repalcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawbuck_Slim View Post
    Yeah, 1600 is too much for me, cant take any recoil anymore, thats why I went with the 45 rifle.Right now the Hornady 960 fps out of my rifle is nothing, so i figured I could step it up a bit going by that.
    Got my 500 cast bullets today, I put away the Lee hand reloader with all the hammer business, ordered a single stage Anniversary package, cant wait, then I can get to business.I pounded my butt of to neck 200 cases and reprime yesterday, thats enough of that) No choice, will have to go on a road trip in search of a powder, still have to make up my mind, one day its unique, then Im thinking unique wouldnt do what I want in the rifle,would be fine in the revolver, so Im still at it.
    I feel your pain, Im heading out tomorrow to get some more powder myself, be about 80 clicks to get to the nearest store that has a selection of powders, gonna get some more unique (down to my last pound) and hopefully scare up some h110 or 2400, and anything else I can scare up. Along with primers, its going to be an event.

Its been 5 years since I did a major stock up (dont shoot smokeless a heck of alot), so Im not looking forward to the sticker shock Im sure Im in for.

The unique will do most of what you want, and remember the longer barrel is going to do alot of the heavy lifting when it comes to a velocity increase. My really good rifle loads dont tend to shoot worth beans in the revolver, I used to get carried away with the slower powders only to find it was a waste out of a shorter barrel. Now I just work up a good revolver load and see how it makes out in the rifle, I tend to have more success that way. Grab a couple cans of different powders if you can to experiment, you'l eventually use em all.

Sold my 44 mag for the very same reason of recoil you mentioned, found I was shooting way more 44 specials and decided If I needed more stomp I would use the 1886 and use a lighter kicking pistol cal rifle for the plinking and small game.
    Last edited by hickstick_10; 03-11-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Have two Rossi 92 caliber 45 Colt that were made about 20 years apart. An Interarms (very nice fit) and a plain old Rossi before that silly safety toggle switch.
    Both shoot the Lee 255 rnfp cast of 50-50 (WW and range scrap) that drops at 262 grains excellent with 18.5 grains 2400. This is not the max but running about 1450 fps.
    To put that in perspective.. This is 45-60 territory (I shoot this also). That 140 year old cartridge was a noted bear, moose, elk... big critter thumper. So I do not see any corn cruncher today taking a 50-50 boolit through the heart-lungs and shaking it off to walk far away. This boolit will expand with violence and exit. Pigs.. hit them 4 inches up in the body where the front legs are and again rip a nice large exit hole. I hope yet to get to help demise a horse or cow one day . If you need more power get out a 45-70 or (for me) the 50-95 with a 350 grainer.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    That impresses me, if mine will do that, I will be thrilled, thank you so much!

Boolit Mold
    Thats exactly where i thought I would start, find me something bearable in my handgun that shoots good, which atound 960fps seems to work out, then put them in the rifle and go from there. I had a beautiful T/C encore prohunter, have cold hands and shoot a few rounds of 308 with the 15 inch barrel, I loved it, but that was enough of that, so I sold it, took a beating, and bought my new 45 rossi toy, Im not sorry.

Boolit Mold
    A big thank you to everyone, all of you have been such a great help to this newbie. I got my hands on a chrono today, brand new, still in the box for 40 dollars, the guy never used it, so that may help me.
    Hornady has not been much help, I have one thing left, still trying to figure out what to do with all these new Hornady cases I have, they are sooo short right from the start, they are not much help when it comes to reloading thier own cases.Im thinking they are like 1.217. I would even buy a box of hornady bullets(225...) if I could figure out how far to seat bullet vs. OAL.

Boolit Master

452 size lead bullets shoots fine in my Rossi Ranch Hand which is the short mares leg 92 clone.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Master

Linbaugh has some real good info also.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant