WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New mould received damaged

Boolit Bub

New mould received damaged

Hi everyone.

I got a brand new 358311 4C mould in the mail today. Looks like someone dropped it. There are file marks on the mould to remove the raised metal. Not happy, this is not a used mould. It is brand new. I contacted LYMAN, but did not get a response yet. Kind of pissed. Anyone have any experiences with LYMAN customer service? I own tons of their equipment, with no issues.
    Thanks for listening.
    Marc

Attachment 98687

Attachment 98688

Attachment 98688

Boolit Master
    does it affect the ability to cast with it?
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Bub
    It will affect that cores base. Like I said, this one is brand new. I would deal with that kind of stuff when the mould is second hand, but not brand new.
    Attachment 98689

Love Life
    Did you order it directly from Lyman?

Boolit Bub
    No, I got it from MIDWAYUSA.

I might very well be a restock/return.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Marcduper View Post
    Hi everyone.

I got a brand new 358311 4C mould in the mail today. Looks like someone dropped it. There are file marks on the mould to remove the raised metal. Not happy, this is not a used mould. It is brand new. I contacted LYMAN, but did not get a response yet. Kind of pissed. Anyone have any experiences with LYMAN customer service? I own tons of their equipment, with no issues.
    Thanks for listening.
    Marc
    I'd be contacting Midway for this kind of issue.
    that's my 2˘
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Entirely irrelevant to performance, purely cosmetic, IMO get over it
    and worry about things that matter.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks JonB, MIDWAY sent me instructions. They will exchange it. For some reason I thought I had to deal with LYMAN.
    Thanks

Boolit Bub
    I'll sell it to you for a hundred dollars. I don't pay big money for something that is not right. I have a few thirty year old moulds that are in better shape than the brand new one. My Honest Opinion.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WallyM3 View Post
    I might very well be a restock/return.
    I know I'm unhappy when a mail order company sends me somebody else's returned goods. Not just shooting supply houses either. I got a set of truck shock absorbers a while back that was obviously repackaged, with half the washers missing.

Boolit Buddy
    I think its usually better to deal with the distributor on matter like that after all they took your money and most like midway are very willing to make a happy customer

Midway's cheap $6.00 shipping is usually shipped in a cheap bubble wrapped envelope. I have received a couple of moulds shipped this way and plastic mould boxes were torn at hinges. You can request box method, but may cost more.

Midway has the best return policy, they will also reimburse return shipping.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dschuttig View Post
    does it affect the ability to cast with it?
    That's not the point.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedp View Post
    That's not the point.
    That's totally the point. If they cast fine, what are you out? It's a mold, not a picasso. It's a little dent not anywhere near the cavities. If it affected casting I would send it back, otherwise get over it.
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Buddy

Yes it is a mold and not a Picasso. It is also a Lyman and not a Lee. Spending decent money for a good product means it should be done right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dschuttig View Post
    That's totally the point. If they cast fine, what are you out? It's a mold, not a picasso. It's a little dent not anywhere near the cavities. If it affected casting I would send it back, otherwise get over it.
    If you bought a new car and the right front fender was caved in, would you just get over it? After all, it won't affect how the car drives.

Sorry, had to rant. It's an example of poor quality control. I purchased a brand new Lyman 450 sizer a couple years ago and the base was "as cast". It wasn't machined flat so it wouldn't set flat on the bench. I was given the run around by Lyman customer service. I sent it back and they machined the base flat but didn't bother to refinish the body of the sizer. They left it bare. But the best part is that I had to pay the return shipping and Lyman would NOT reimburse me. Remember, this was a "factory fresh" unit. I'll gladly pay more if necessary to buy from another manufacturer.

Boolit Mold
    Similar thing happened to me. Bought a Lyman mold from Midway that would not fully close. Shipped it back to Lyman, shipping on my dime, and waited over 2 months for the repair and return. Their website says 30 days. Called about it a couple of times and customer service was really no help. So since your issue is only cosmetic I'd just keep it if I were you, or exchange it at Midway.

Just surprised Midway had it in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by nseries View Post
    If you bought a new car and the right front fender was caved in, would you just get over it? After all, it won't affect how the car drives.

Sorry, had to rant. It's an example of poor quality control. I purchased a brand new Lyman 450 sizer a couple years ago and the base was "as cast". It wasn't machined flat so it wouldn't set flat on the bench. I was given the run around by Lyman customer service. I sent it back and they machined the base flat but didn't bother to refinish the body of the sizer. They left it bare. But the best part is that I had to pay the return shipping and Lyman would NOT reimburse me. Remember, this was a "factory fresh" unit. I'll gladly pay more if necessary to buy from another manufacturer.
    How can you compare a $100 mould to a $20,000 car? A little extreme don't you think? Who displays their molds on the mantle or bookshelf? If it cast good bullets, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. I've had to file my own dings off the corners after dropping the blocks. I treat the cavities with care but who cares what the outside looks like?