Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best mould for a 30-30 Levergun?

Boolit Master

What is the best mould for a 30-30 Levergun?

Hello everyone,
    I need you expert advice. There several options when it comes to the 30-30:
    Lee 150
    Lee 170
    Lyman 311041
    RCBS 150 fn
    RCBS 180 SP
    NOE RD 165
    What is the best all around mould? Hunting, accuracy, plinking. If you only had one mould for your levergun, what would it be? Thanks and looking forward to some great answers.

Well, lots of them work but #311041 is the standard from years gone by...

One thing to keep in mind with those borerider designs is if you are shooting them through a Marlin with microgroove rifling, the bore ride nose is probably too small. In that case, SAECO #305 (I think that is the one) that looks just like #311041 but is a bit bigger works beautifully.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

The Lyman #311041 is what I use. A good thing about this classic boolit is someone will always have some good load data and tips and pointers about it's use, this may help in developing a good load.

I have to say though, that for the price, Lee molds are always attractive. You can try different boolit styles without going broke. I have many of Lee molds and appreciate their value and quality. I really hate it when someone starts crying about Lee molds being junk. I own many brands of molds, and I am really happy with my Lee molds.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

The Lyman #311041 is what I use. A good thing about this classic boolit is someone will always have some good load data and tips and pointers about it's use, this may help in developing a good load.

I have to say though, that for the price, Lee molds are always attractive. You can try different boolit styles without going broke. I have many of Lee molds and appreciate their value and quality. I really hate it when someone starts crying about Lee molds being junk. I own many brands of molds, and I am really happy with my Lee molds.

I like my boolits around 170 gr in the 30/30.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

I'm going to be using a Mossberg 464. So far I've been impressed with Lee and Lyman moulds. I have about 7 Lees and 1 Lyman. We just went to the range and with my cast 200g Lee RN we loaded up some for my friends 06. When I shot it, I had 4 rounds touching at 100 yards. Told him I might have to start saving for a Savage...
    If Lee 150 or 170
    Not a lot of variance in ballistics under 100 yards. 150g @ 1800 vs 170g @ 1700 Hit w/ the same energy 780fpds at 100yards.
    Last edited by kungfustyle; 03-05-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    I think I would narrow it down to both the Lyman 311041 and the NOE 311-165 which is a copy of the Ranch Dog.

My favorite is 311291
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Whats the best boolit for your 30-30?

The one that fits.

Oh and it needs a nice flat nose.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

can you use the round nose design in a Lever? If so what about the Lee 160

Boolit Master
    """can you use the round nose design in a Lever?"""
    If you have a RN mold you can bump them flat in a lubesizer.
    My favorite for 30/30 lever gun is the RCBS 30/180 FNGC

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    """can you use the round nose design in a Lever?"""
    If you have a RN mold you can bump them flat in a lubesizer.
    My favorite for 30/30 lever gun is the RCBS 30/180 FNGC
    Would say the same. While I did not put out the $$$ for the RCBS I used a 185 Lee 312 and sized it down to 309 with a flat nose punch which is essentially the same as the RCBS. I found that the heavier cast bullets have some advantages over the lighter ones at cast velocities. I also like the 150 grain Lee but only for lighter laods and casual shooting.

DP

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Kungfustyle,
    Part of what made your 30-30 so effective over the last 100+ years was that flat nosed boolit. Time has taught us that the tissue that gets in front of that flat nose (be it deer, bear, or pig) gets sprayed out to the sides, sort of like the water from a 360 degree rainbird sprinkler head. This spray of tissue is moving very fast and creates a very effective wound channel that is much larger than one would imagine from that little 30 caliber boolit. Round nosed boolits work similarly but not quite as well (say some). This is why Bullshop (above) recommends you bump a flat nose on your round nosed boolit. They just work better that way. Some say that a bigger flat on the nose works better, thus the recommended RanchDog boolit. That flat nose has been made smallish (Lee 170 gr. or 311041 Lyman) to down right huge (Gates or Ranch Dog). They all work. 100+ years have proved it.
    So - if you want a great 30-30 boolit get one with a flat nose or make your round nosed boolit flat. You'll be glad you did.
    Last edited by helice; 03-05-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Cam't Spel

I was lucky enough to get the RD 165 mold, I also have a RD for the 32WS

Banned

Me too, very fortunate to get in on last run of RD .30 165 TL. That Boolit runs real good in just about any .30 cal.
    You can get essentially same thing from Tom at Accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    can you use the round nose design in a Lever? If so what about the Lee 160
    311291 was one of the original Ideal designs by Mr. Barlow. It was designed for the 30-30 round. The early 30-30 factory ammo was round nose. 311291 is plenty safe in a 30-30 tubular magazine and won't be set off by recoil. Now I would not want a similar nose shape in a 45-70 with it's increased recoil.

I know nothing about the Lee bullet so I can't offer any opinions on it's suitability.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I have each of the molds listed and they all work well in my 30-30's, even my Marlin's with micro groove. Also work well in 308 and 30-06. My Sav. 300 is a little more picky though. If I could only have one I would probably pick the 311041.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Whats the best boolit for your 30-30?

The one that fits.

Oh and it needs a nice flat nose.
    True Story.

The Lee 170 actually shoots quite nicely in my 336. It can shoot from plinker to hunting loads with accuracy and authority.

Ranch Dog 165, NOE makes a copy , if you are buying a new mold . IMHO
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Le Loup Solitaire
    I have always used Lyman #311291 in my 94's/30-30s casting from an old Lyman single cav. It has always shot well; sized .310. Never bumped the round nose. The bullet also works very well in 30-06 and several other 30 calibers as well. The nose section diameter is also important...should be .301 for best fit. LLS

Boolit Master
    I have the NOE copy of the ranch dog bullet and the 170 Lee. The Lee shot a little better and would feed better in my marlin so that is what I loaded for my son first deer this year. That flat point may look a little on the small side but it did preform excellent on the one doe he shot this past year. We had a blood trail a blind man could follow with spray coating several trees about knee high. They were air cooled WW pushed around 1900 fps. Deer was shot about at about 50 yards. The mold is well worth the 20 bucks IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast