Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SRH or Redhawk

Thats a nice SRH there 45nut.....Shame its not in .44
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Buddy
    I have two SRH's. One in 44, and one in 454. The .44 has over 25,000 rounds through it, mostly full bore loads. It is still solid. The trigger is worn in to about the smoothest I have ever owned. I have had exactly zero problems with it.
    The SRH had a problem with ACCIDENTAL Discharges. Ruger fixed it, with no questions asked. BTW Those guys? in the repair shop know how to work a trigger. It is the best trigger I have ever seen come out of Ruger. Wish they were working in the original assembly plant.

Boolit Master
    And now Ruger has a 4" Redhawk .45 LC. That about settles it for me, I think this package will get a lot of votes for the perfect packing pistol. Although mine will probably always be a 4 5/8 Blackhawk .357.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    And now Ruger has a 4" Redhawk .45 LC. That about settles it for me, I think this package will get a lot of votes for the perfect packing pistol. Although mine will probably always be a 4 5/8 Blackhawk .357.

I got to handle one of these not too long ago at a gun shop on the way home from a gunshow hehe. 2 things bother me about it though 1 is only because I have not shot it and don't know but I think the ejection rod set up looks a fuzz flimsy compared to my 29's? The other thing that bothered me was how the special grip that came on it was formed. the gun sits really high up and the grip is a little short for my hands. But I would have to shoot one before I could really put those 2 complaints in stone. I would like to get a 4" or a 5" Havn't done presents yet so who knows whats under the tree.
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    I got to handle one of these not too long ago at a gun shop on the way home from a gunshow hehe. 2 things bother me about it though 1 is only because I have not shot it and don't know but I think the ejection rod set up looks a fuzz flimsy compared to my 29's? The other thing that bothered me was how the special grip that came on it was formed. the gun sits really high up and the grip is a little short for my hands. But I would have to shoot one before I could really put those 2 complaints in stone. I would like to get a 4" or a 5" Havn't done presents yet so who knows whats under the tree.
    I know what you mean by judging before you shoot it. I'm not climbing over rocks just to get one of the big Redhawk .45's. Actually I would like to find a Stainless .357 Redhawk at the same time that funds are available. To fill the .45 LC need I have an AccuSport Blackhawk Convertible Bisley that fills the bill quite nicely.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

anachronism
    I've had plenty of both revolvers. If I had to choose between them, for functionality I'd choose the Super. The action of the Super is far easier to tune than the Std. model is. You can get a really nice trigger on a Super, much simpler than you can on a Std. model. During my last financial upheaval, I let my Std. model go, and kept the Super that I tuned myself. Add a set of Hogue grips, and you're ready to go.

Boolit Master
    Well thanks to everyone for their input. I stopped by shop on way home tonight and played with the Redhawk and the SRH again. I bought the SRH. This weekend I'll be at the bat cave slugging barrel and mic'n throats and checking forcing cone I'm a DA kind of guy even though I use them SA most of the time, but they had a stainless bisley in 45 colt that felt soooooo good.

Boolit Master
    Newsmokepole64,

Hay buddy if that Bisley was an AccuSport Ruger offering you may have let the bettern of the bunch get away. I have the convertible .45 and it is for sure a keeper.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Joe View Post
    Newsmokepole64,

Hay buddy if that Bisley was an AccuSport Ruger offering you may have let the bettern of the bunch get away. I have the convertible .45 and it is for sure a keeper.
    How can you tell?

Boolit Master
    this one was shiny (polished stainless?) unfluted cylinder with some kind of engraving on it, smooth wood grip panels.

Boolit Master
    It's a tough call between the SRH and the RH .......

I bought a SRH for a barrel shortening project and planned on selling my RH 7.5" integral.

The SRH still wears it's 9.5" and the RH is still with me ....... and it's been 7 years and still can't decide which I like better.

Both Ruger DA's were tuned by the same gun smith ............ truely fine triggers now (and I am fussy about triggers as I have a Smith MG 629 that's simply outstanding as to it's trigger).

But both Rugers must have Federal primers due to light hammer fall ...... OR the firing pin protrusion needs to increase!

When my old stock of Federal primers run out ....... I might be in trouble as I understand that new product (when you can find them) is manufactured with the same cups as CCI's.

It's always something!

If you really want to understand bullet fit up and cylinder/cylinder mouth/bore size issues .... I recommend the book from Beartooth Bullets:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

(Look at the left side of your screen and click on "Book" .......)

Good luck chosing and enjoy the ride!

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-27-2007 at 01:18 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    Are these medium height rings, or low? One-inch, or 30 mm?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Banned

thats one thing i cant argure about them. the ones ive shot have been some of the most accurate out of the box handguns ive ever had on a bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by 45nut View Post
    I've never owned a standard RH, but I have 2 SRH-454's and they have done some impressive shooting for me. Buckshot witnessed a one shot kill on a steel pillow at NCBS that must have weighed well over 100#'s.

I sent one back to OTT.LLC and he added a brake and I duracoated the frame.

Turned out well enough for me.

Boolit Master
    Smokepole64

AccuSport Bisley, made as a special run for AccuSport who are distributors in the firearms market.

Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    I called the shop today, and It is just a factory 45c/45acp convertable SBH bisley

Boolit Master
    Ruger must Really love me! I have two SRHs, a 22/45, .45 Colt BH convertable and a S/S
    S-6, not to mention the rifles.

I'd go with the SRHs, you can't really tell how ugly they are when you're looking down the sights or through a scope. And a Redhawk with a scope is really ugly!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    To the best of my knowledge:

All the centerfire, stainless Bisleys (not including the Hunter amd Vaquero models) are Acusport guns.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Banned

heres my take on the triggers. A redhawk trigger can be made reliable and light. If someone that knows what hes doing does it it can be done as well as a super. Problem is it takes much more work to get there. My buddy does my triggers and does them right. But he spends many hours getting them right and if you had to pay a gunsmith to do one it would be astromicaly expensive. What your not going to get is a superb trigger on a standard redhawk for the 100 bucks a gunsmith will charge but then i havent see any trigger that was done by a gunsmith for a 100 bucks that i would consider superb. You can get a decent pull on a super by just changing springs and that wont do it on a std redhawk but theres alot more to it then changing springs and like was said with the availability of fed primers in question id be skeptical about lightening up the hammer spring on any gun very much anymore. But dont let anyone tell you a redhawk cant be done right.

Banned

A light mainspring is death to accuracy in any gun. Work must be done to the RH that leaves the mainspring alone. I have had good luck with making a great trigger on them.
    The SRH is a different animal and I have seen many perfect triggers from the factory, only a few have been a little hard but still broke clean. A few minutes work and they are great.
    Even on my SBH and BFR's, I put in STRONGER mainsprings. As soon as I see groups start to open, I will change the factory spring. Ruger springs have never been the best at keeping their power.
    If any of you have a Mark II and kept the magazine full for a few days, you know what I am saying. It will not feed all of the shells and the spring needs stretched back out. This is one spring I can't find a replacement for.
    Strange that a 1911 left loaded since WWII will still work!

The standard BFR springs are 22 to 23#, any for rifle primers are 28#. I replace the standard spring with a 26# Wolf variable and is just one reason I get down to 9/16", 50 yd groups. I still get the trigger pull down to 19 oz.
    In no way, shape or form will I reduce a mainspring to get a better trigger pull.
    In the old days guys would grind the mainsprings thin on S&W's, then turn out the strain screw. Might as well throw rocks at the target!

Boolit Grand Master

My
    RedHawk has a decent trigger. The one it came with was near horrible. I did the job myself, and would NEVER spend that amount of time on someone else's. However, it was worth it in the end. It will never be mistaken for a Smith, but it is quite decent (4lbs) and minimal creep. I can do good work with it.

The Super has a much more user friendly trigger simply because of the design. I would own a SRH but I just balked at the extra weight and bulk. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the Super, I just can't warm up to one. It's more of an esthetics thing (and here I claim to be a "form follows function" type of guy but...).

I have reduced spring rates on some guns successfully, but I still insist on a 100% reliable sixgun - NO MATTER WHAT!!

Dale53

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast