WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SRH or Redhawk

Boolit Master

SRH or Redhawk

I;m shopping for a christmas Gift (mine) and was looking at Ruger SRH and Redhawk. Had a Redhawk years ago and loved it. I will use it mostly for hunting but like to plink with reduced loads. Want to stay with 44mag. I'm big (6' 300lb) and was looking at the SRH just because it's there. difference is $80.00 between the two. I handled a stainless Redhawk 5.5" and liked it. And the SRH 7.5 is nice also. I have seen alot of people here (cast boolits) are shooting SRH's in bigger calibers but was wanting input on reliability. Both can be had with rings.

Banned

for me if i was going to scope it id step up the the super but if not id go with a redhawk just because supers are ugly.

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger's web site confirms what LLoyd told us earlier about the 480 Ruger with a five shot cylinder.That would be a tempting choice.

Boolit Master
    Lloyd mentioned scoping. But then there are carrying considerations. Hard to plink with something that's home in a drawer. General appearance and steel preferences. I prefer the internals of the Super if you like the flexibility of easily altering trigger pulls.

So no free lunch. You gotta run all this through and see how it shakes out. Or buy both. Get a 4" Redhawk to wear and a 9 1/2 Super to shoot. Ruger'd love ya then.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the internals of the Super if you like the flexibility of easily altering trigger pulls.

Or buy both. Get a 4" Redhawk to wear and a 9 1/2 Super to shoot. Ruger'd love ya then

Oh so tempting can the SRH trigger be adjusted easier?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    for me if i was going to scope it id step up the the super but if not id go with a redhawk just because supers are ugly.
    The redhawk can be had with scope rings and built in ring cutouts. I may have to go play with them both again. internally are there any/many diferences between the two. I wasn't sure if the cylander was bigger on the SRH, or if had an extra locking latch. There seems to be more aftermarket grips for the redhawk, and not much for the SRH.

Boolit Buddy
    I have owned a few large frame Rugers (8), even had a 357 Redhawk with the 7.5" barrel (kinda rare). The Redhawk hammer has a larger travel arc compared to the Super Redhawk. That makes for longer locktime, add a non fatory spring kit and the action has a 'mushy' feel. The factory scope mounting of the Super Redhawk is much better that the early Redhawk (gets very nose heavy). I just sold my 9.5' 44 mag. It was a great shooter with 300 grain Boolits and a red dot scope, But was VERY large. All the Ruger 44's are strong but heavier pistols. Mine where all accurate enough to plink at 100 yards comfortably. Today I am down to only one 44 mag. It is an early Super Redhawk with 7.5" barrel and a red dot sight. It seems the best compromise for me. Through the Rugers do not have the sweet triggers or graceful lines of the Smith's, they are strong, accurate and last a lifetime- that is their beauty.

Boolit Master
    yep, I'm leaning toward the SRH with 7.5" tube.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by newsmokepole64 View Post
    Oh so tempting can the SRH trigger be adjusted easier?

NSP,

As you refine a Redhawk trigger, you end up making it so that it doesn't cock as far. As it doesn't cock as far, the hand doesn't come up as high. This change in height "MAY" be critical to pushing up far enough to index the cylinder properly. This can be compensated to a small degree by working the action faster but that increases wear too as the only thing left to rotate the cylinder is the stop spring in the notch itself.

In the end, you need to buy several new hands to do a good action job. They will all be different lengths as the last 5 I bought varied by .020. Then if you aren't lucky to get the proper length, you will be fitting up a new hand. This is a trial and error (PIA) process, that would have pushed Job to suicide. Especially, if you have to do so, that you break through the surface hardening. Then you will need to HT it to wear properly again. If you don't heat treat, you will be fitting up another hand in what seems a short order.

The same thing CAN happen with a super if you don't watch what you are doing, but you have more options change and alter springs without having to remove metal.

The best handgun solution Ruger doesn't make yet. This would be to bob the frame on the Super to look like a Redhawk. A bigger GP100 for all intents and purposes and simply offer multiple barrel lengths to customer preference. I believe costs will eventually do this. Making two frames for basically the same market is costly. I anxiously await the GP 1000.
    Reading can provide limited education because only shooting provides YOUR answers as you tie everything together for THAT gun. The better the gun, the less you have to know / do & the more flexibility you have to achieve success.

Boolit Grand Master

I use both a Smith Model 29, 8 3/8" (scoped) and a Ruger Red Hawk 7.5" (scoped). I DO prefer the Smith Trigger (pure poetry) but when hunting in inclement weather, I grab the Ruger. The Ruger has had a trigger job and is MUCH better than issue, but it does not equal the Smith trigger. However, the Ruger is undeniably more rugged and I shoot the 310 gr Lee RF in the Ruger with no worries.

So, for strength and bad weather, the Ruger is it. Both revolvers shoot about equally well (under 4" at 100 yards - sometimes WELL under 4").

I don't care for the SRH - it is just too ugly and too big...

Dale53

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I did try the spring kit with my old Redhawk. Once I got the trigger down to where I liked it, it would no longer fire reliably when shot fast double action. So, I went back to the stock springs.

Boolit Master
    has anyone checked the cylinder throats, to see what they mic at? didn't know if one (SRH/ redhawk) might be tighter or has anyone gotten a lemon?

Moderator Emeritus

My Redhawk's cylinders all miked under .430 and over .429 which I considerd excellent. Take a jacket bullet with you that measures .429 and make sure that it falls through all the holes. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    I had two different Stainless 5 1/2" Redhawks in 44. Both were capable of easy double action hits on a 3 lb coffee can at 100 yards, wish I still had one.

The only drawback that I can remember about the Redhawk was that with factory loads it would torque enough in my hand to scrape the top edge of the trigger guard along my trigger finger. Putting a slightly larger radius over the trigger cured this.

The best grips in my opinion were a toss up between the factory ones and Hogue Monogrips.

I will have another one someday......

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    My Redhawk's cylinders all miked under .430 and over .429 which I considerd excellent. Take a jacket bullet with you that measures .429 and make sure that it falls through all the holes. Gianni
    this is to make sure the chambers are at least .429? As long as the chamber mouths are .429 or bigger the forcing cone should squeeze it down to the bore size? Why a j bullit?

Boolit Master
    I found somewhere that the SRH has a trigger spring setup like the GP100 (spring inside of spring) so its easier to reduce tension without affecting performance. the redhawk has only 1 spring for the job.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I prefer the RH myself, am still looking for one in 357.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, like mine alot.

Boolit Master
    Buff hunter, is your a 44 or some other cal? I just worry that I'm overkilling it. They look like an m1 tank.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

I've never owned a standard RH, but I have 2 SRH-454's and they have done some impressive shooting for me. Buckshot witnessed a one shot kill on a steel pillow at NCBS that must have weighed well over 100#'s.

I sent one back to OTT.LLC and he added a brake and I duracoated the frame.

Turned out well enough for me.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast