Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hodgdon CFE pistol

I ordered 8x1 pounds of it last night. If I don't like it I can sell it so not too much of a gamble. I can report back once i get some loaded and then violently unloaded. The powder should be at my house in a couple days.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    the CFE Pistol meters great thru my Hornady measure. loaded up some 124gr 9mm, shot fine, mild report and low recoil. kinda boring, lol. normally use PowerPistol in my 9mm's. gonna load up some 45acp and see how that does.
    Were those boolits or j-words?
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado View Post
    Were those boolits or j-words?
    9mm were copper plated. can't seem to find a cast boolit that my 'shallow throated' 9's like to eat
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy

going to load some CFE Pistol this weekend v. my usual 231/HP38...

CFE Pistol v. hp38, data from Hodgdon website, looks like a heckuva hot starting load on CFE pistol IMO...or am I missing something, going to load some this weekend...looking for data...

45acp, 200 gr lswc, CFE Pistol
    starting load 7.4 gr., 1042 fps, 15,000psi
    max load 8.2 gr., 1142 fps, 19,600 psi

45acp, 200 gr lswc, HP38
    starting load 4.4 gr., 771 fps, 11,000 cup
    max load 5.6 gr., 914 fps, 16,900 cup

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by rpludwig View Post
    going to load some CFE Pistol this weekend v. my usual 231/HP38...

CFE Pistol v. hp38, data from Hodgdon website, looks like a heckuva hot starting load on CFE pistol IMO...or am I missing something, going to load some this weekend...looking for data...

45acp, 200 gr lswc, CFE Pistol
    starting load 7.4 gr., 1042 fps, 15,000psi
    max load 8.2 gr., 1142 fps, 19,600 psi

45acp, 200 gr lswc, HP38
    starting load 4.4 gr., 771 fps, 11,000 cup
    max load 5.6 gr., 914 fps, 16,900 cup
    Yep, its kinda like Hodgdon LongShot; high velocity, low recoil. LongShot has the lower pressure on the 'starting' load end
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by johnh9411 View Post
    Dose anyone know where to find some of this stuff, Hodgdon CFE pistol?
    I picked up a few pounds today at the local reload shop "Dallas" Can get a few more.

It Kinda looks like H110, Very fine ball type powder, meters very well. I haven't got to shoot any yet, just it, but it looks like it will work for a wide range of Pistols! yeah!!!!!

The flakes are smaller than those in titegroup, and it does meter pretty good.... All charges are plus or minus .05 on my auto disk so far, still waiting to shoot it.

i just picked one up 4-12-15. i was looking for bullseye and unique but they did not have any in stock. after second gun shop stop the guy showed me the CFE so i bought it. i have not tried it yet. i am located just outside Philly.
    Peter DiMatteo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmanuk View Post

i also loaded up 26 grains in 223 behind a 55 fmj and i got alot of delay fires , and didnt even bother with accuracy

these were not exactly top end loads and there was abit of room in the case so maybe this powder would benifit from a filler or being compressed ....as long as you under the max
    I just shot that exact same load (with CFE223, not pistol of course) but I was using magnum SR primers and had no hang fires. Didn't get past 25 yards so I have no valuable input on accuracy either.

Moderator Emeritus

I had no problems with CFE223 and small rifle primers. 50 grain z-max and 27.5 grains powder

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonz View Post
    Yep, its kinda like Hodgdon LongShot; high velocity, low recoil. LongShot has the lower pressure on the 'starting' load end
    For 9mm, I like CFE Pistol better than Longshot so far. Burns much cleaner than Longshot when loaded at the light end. It meters as well as Accurate Arms #2 but because the powder isn't as fine-grained, I don't have leaks through my Lee Pro Auto Disk like I do with #2. Meters much better than American Select. Burns relatively clean, even at light loads.

The starting loads are pretty "hot". Recoil is noticeably snappier than with AA #2 or American Select, about on par with what I notice with Longshot. Smoke is about the same as AA #2/American Select. Accuracy seems at least as consistent. So far, I am liking it a lot.

Boolit Bub
    Forgot to mention that it is a relatively dense powder when compared to American Select or AA #2. Gotta watch for double-charges when loading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12