MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: 357 Mag seat and crimp die

357 Mag seat and crimp die

I want a 357 Mag seat die to use in conjunction with my 38 Special set up so I don't have to reset everything each time. I use both SWC and the Ranchdog bullet that is a fat RNFP. I've had great results for 25 years using my Lee set but they don't seem to sell just the seat die and I'd prefer to not buy a whole new set. Anyone have any experience with the RCBS seat die or the Hornady? Looks like the Hornady comes in both a Cowboy type and regular. They say that the cowboy one is set up for lead bullets, but the regular one comes with different seaters so I don't know the difference in the two. I've been looking at used RCBS die sets but they usually note that it's for SWC and I'm not convinced that it won't mess up the fat Ranchdog slug. Any opinions?

Boolit Master

RCBS and Redding make die spacer rings , so you can use the same dies to load 38 special & 357 mag by adding or removing the die spacers rings ! i have sets from both companys .
    I also have bought used steel die sets at a reasonable cost and used the TC sizer for both without any farther adj for either 38 /357mag, and set up the used dies expander & seat /crimp for either one of the calibers.

I have those and use them, but use very different bullets in each. No problems using the spacer with the expander but would like to not have to mess with my wadcutter seater when I load the ranch dog bullet in 357 for a rifle. Does your RCBS seater treat other bullet shapes kindly?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I also have bought used steel die sets at a reasonable cost and used the TC sizer for both without any farther adj for either 38 /357mag, and set up the used dies expander & seat /crimp for either one of the calibers.
    I bought those as well to get an extra seating die. First was a RCBS set with stems for WC, SWC, and RN. Added an orphan RCBS seating die later on off fleabay to keep set up for wadcutters.

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I buy separate seating dies for each bullet that I load in all handgun calibers. Usually can find a used seating die for a dollar or two at a gun show, but sometimes I either order them from RCBS or just buy another complete die set.

I do not like constantly fiddling with die adjustments, so I just adjust the seating die for one particular bullet and leave it that way.
    I was never happy with the spacer ring that is provided with .38Spl/357Mag or ,44Spl/44Mag die sets either. I purchased a separate die set for each caliber and then acquire seating dies for whatever bullet style I decide to load. Obviously an extra expense, but worth it in time and hassle saved/avoided.

Boolit Master

Call Titan reloading, he is a sponsor for us and has a banner add here on the sight.
    He will sell you just a Lee seating die, you can use it to crimp or to seat. About $15.00
    He took care of me. They may not be listed so call.

GW
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

I think that's exactly what I need. Thanks Gray Wolf.

Titan had the die for 15 and change and it's on it's way to me. I hadn't checked them out before, looks like a great company.