Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: got a 35 Whelen

Boolit Buddy

got a 35 Whelen

Got myself a 35 Whelen , Remington 725, Medium weight replacement barrel. 24 inches long.1 in 16 twist.I picked up some once fired cases. I have two bullets that I cast earlier 205 grain 358315 and I have some 247 grain 358318. I'm waiting on dies . So what do you think would work best in the Old gun? I have most any powder on the bench. I plan on some paper punching and a little deer hunting this fall. For me this is a little different. I think it should be fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Congrats, truly an awesome cartridge. Still working on load development but IMR4895 is showing promise. I tried most every suitable powder I had on hand, felt lucky to find the 4895. If you have H335 I've read good stuff about it, wish I had some.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had good luck with 4350

Boolit Buddy
    Sierra 225 gr SPGK, 56.0 grs RL-15.....2550 fps.....good shooting load...JimP.

Boolit Master
    You'll be impressed by the way the Whelen kills deer. I call mine my DRT, or bang-flop rifle.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by 280Ackley View Post
    I've had good luck with 4350
    no. 1 on trying 4350. I just started with it a couple of weeks ago with a 200 gr. noe boolit. Had to use a tight crimp with it to get it to burn right, but 54, 54 1/2, 55 gr. of imr 4350 all shoot great in my 35 whelen encore. I started with 50 grains and worked up. So far i like it better than my h4895 loads. Doesn't seem to burn as clean as 4895 but it sure shoots good!

Boolit Buddy
    I've got some H4350. I can start with that and the 205 grain bullet. I'm also going to try some 5744. I've got a while before hunting season. The dies are on the way so I should be shooting in a week or so. It will be a great spring and summer project.

Banned

I'd start with the 358315 first.

Quote Originally Posted by Adk Mike View Post
    I've got some H4350. I can start with that and the 205 grain bullet. I'm also going to try some 5744. I've got a while before hunting season. The dies are on the way so I should be shooting in a week or so. It will be a great spring and summer project.
    I used the NOE .360 200gr, boolit with the 4350, it's a RCBS clone. I wish i could find some h4350 to try but all i had on hand was imr but it worked out well so far. I haven't chroned the 54 plus gr. loads but i'm guessing 2400 to 2500 fps so that may be faster than you want to go. Boolits were oven heat treated and water dropped.
    I have a brother in Co. that worked up a good load with 5744 around 1900 fps. with a half gr. dacron filler behind a 200 gr. boolit. You ought to be good to go between those 2 powders.....good luck!

Boolit Master
    Mil surp 4759 and an RCBS 200g boolit works well for me with my 1:16 twist Rem 700. Due to your rifles twist, I'd start with the lighter of your two boolits first.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Bub
    I sold my project .35 W and really need to get another. My dies and supplies are lonely on the shelf.

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    I like H4895, H4198, AA5744, and of course Unique in my Whelen. Better yet, my Whelen likes these powders in it.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville