RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a "truck gun"

Boolit Master
    I had gotten two rusty 12 guage 870's for truck guns. They were covered with rust and cost about $220 each. After stripping both and using 4/0 steel wool and some tri flow all the rust came off everything. And I mean everything. When I got done I probably could have flipped them for at least $300 apiece. Then sanded down the wood, sealed the wood and about 6 coats of tru oil they were to pretty to be used as truck guns. There were police turn ins with mag extensions and 18 to 20" barrels. Got a beat up marlin 336 in 3030 all in parts stock wood needs to be sanded and finished. Now watch it, when I get that one done it too will look too pretty and the search will go on. Frank

ADMIN

Saw a maverick in the pawn shop for $130 yesterday.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

e ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

I just bought a sporterized 1903 for a truck gun. Putting a 4x fixed scope on it. I debated between that and a 12ga and ended up going with the rifle. 5x 180 grain Remington RN bullets should take care of just about anything.
    You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
    You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
    You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
    You cannot further brotherhood of a man by inciting class hatred.
    You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
    You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.

Boolit Buddy
    Diesel, just something to consider:

Pistol caliber carbines really don't give you much of a ballistic advantage over a pistol. Even if you gain 300-400 fps from the longer barrel, you are still in the same ballistic category.

If I were to take on the extra size, weight, and expense of a second weapon, I would want it to completely outclass the pistol I was already carrying. You get that with a .223 or 7.62x39, not so much with a 9mm carbine.

And to answer your questions about range, most military and LE units that issue/train a pistol caliber carbine designate 100 yds as the max effective range, not max range, but max effective range.

Boolit Buddy
    As an add on, in my opinion, the true benefit in a pistol caliber carbine isn't recognized until you get into the 7-9" barrel range. At that size you have a weapon that is more effective than a pistol and easier to maneuver in confined spaces than a weapon chambered for a rifle round. If you are stuck with a 16" barrel, that advantage goes away.
    Last edited by Mik; 04-13-2014 at 08:09 AM.

I think you're on to something with the 1960 Polish AK. Completely sufficient caliber, 30 round mags and very good intimidation factor.

IMO, stay away from the Romanian WASR AK clones. You never know what you're getting. I had one that would print 3" groups at 50 yards and NOTHING at 100 yards. I still don't know where those 30 rounds went. What a piece of junk.

I think you're pretty well armed with a good semi auto pistol on your hip and an AK behind the seat...

Boolit Master

y ...
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 10:48 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Buddy
    If that doesn't get you home safely, nothing will!

I would look for a Ruger PC9 or Ruger PC40. I have seen these for the last 5 years at LGS and they were between $450 - $600 in good shape. I usually see 2 or 3 a year at gun shows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger PC9.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	103276
    "Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

Mini 14 or 30 is my vote. My truck gun is a stainless mini14 that I picked up from the pawn shop about 5 years ago for $225. It will eat any ammo and is minute of paper plate at a 100yds with open sights. I have more than enough ar's, hk's and ak's but the mini just fits the bill for my truck gun.

BTW, Local walmart has a brand new mini 14 in the cabinet for $709. Used should run you well under that.
    Last edited by lmfd20; 04-26-2014 at 05:10 PM.
    To much work, not enough time for guns.

Boolit Master

Did Marlin drop the Camp Carbine because it was ahead of its time.

Seems perfect for plinking and social interactions as needed.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Did Marlin drop the Camp Carbine because it was ahead of its time.

Seems perfect for plinking and social interactions as needed.
    I like the Ruger PC40 better.

Boolit Master

"Got a beat up marlin 336 in 3030 all in parts stock wood needs to be sanded and finished. Now watch it, when I get that one done it too will look too pretty and the search will go on. Frank"

know where you are coming from Frank. I keep buying 'beaters' and restoring them far above their purpose... Then I sit and look at them and say 'heck i aint gonna tote that through the briars its to purdy'.... Then off to the local pawn to continue the cycle...

As for the op question on a truck gun any rifle you are not personally attached to will fit the bill. As we all know most any centerfire rifle will bring game home. It is our obsession with options that has spawned the choices we now have...not that this is a bad thing!
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

I too have been using a ss mini 30 for as a truck gun for years. Reliable close range thumper with what ever sight you prefer. Not a reach way out there and slap sumthin kind of gun but it is outstanding in the truck gun role.

Boolit Master

Kel tec sub 2000 in .40. Folds and fits in a laptop case with a couple of extra 30 round glock mags. Shoots good and puts a lot of firepower in a small package.

Boolit Master

Mech Tec?

I have a Mec Tec on a 45 ACP recieverClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	103739

Boolit Buddy
    Buy a cheap savage axis or a Remington 770. Put a 3-9scope on it and be done with it. Who cares it is is a different caliber 243 270 and 30-06 ammo at my local Walmart is $14.50 per box. Buy a couple boxes and go on
    It doesn't look evil like the mag fed semi autos do and has range to outdistance most

You can build an AR for $500 with careful shopping. A good one. Blemished uppers & lowers help keep the cost down.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast