Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: How to clean lube out of a star?

Boolit Buddy

How to clean lube out of a star?

I tried to save money by melting a large stick of Magma lube and pouring it in the star. Everything went well for about 400 boolits then it stopped. Now the lube is not moving. I have a heated base and an air feed for the lube turned up to 60#. I even tried to drive it down with a tight fitting dowel and a hammer with no luck. I've got some small lube on the way but I still need to clean the stuck lube out. What is the best way? Thanks
    Last edited by Wilson; 02-28-2014 at 09:02 AM.
    "He who walks with the wise grows wise,
    but a companion of fools suffers harm."
    Proverbs 13:20

Lol, fire.

Sorry couldn't resist.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Try heating the reservoir with a heat gun to get it moving again. To empty the star I just pull the die out and heat the reservoir with the heat gun. Catch the dripping lube in a empty soup can. Another possible issue, could the reservoir be empty? 400 big boolits may have used it all up.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll look for a heat gun and give it a try. Maybe Lowes has one. If the heat gun starts it melting I may be able to keep running bullets through it. Yes, it's still got a lot of lube in it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I tried to save money by melting a large stick of Magma lube and pouring it in the star. Everything went well for about 400 boolits then it stopped. Now the lube is not moving. I have a heated base and an air feed for the lube turned up to 60#. I even tried to drive it down with a tight fitting dowel and a hammer with no luck. I've got some small lube on the way but I still need to clean the stuck lube out. What is the best way? Thanks
    When you remove the air piston and are looking down the lube tube toward the base how much lube is left in the lube tube? A reading in inches from the top of the lube tube to where the lube is would help.

Recently I had purchased a used Star sizer and it came with the lube tube 1/2 full of 40+ year old lube that solidified. After trying to heat the lube tube with no results I simply filled the lube tube with new lube removed the screw near the pump and started turning the original lube screw fixture and the old lube came out of the screw opening. I continued until all the old lube was gone and the new clean lube was coming out the hole.

If you don't have much lube left then you simply have an air pocket. You have the option at this point to refill with the lube that is in there or put a different lube on top of what is left in there. The lube will again flow. You can remove the screw and have the lube simply pump out there and reclaim it for future use. When the new lube comes out simply put the plug back in.

To speed things up you can remove the die and you will have excess lube coming out there also.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds odd. The first thing that came to mind is are you sure the lube heater is working? Does the lube in the reservoir (not the base) feel warm to the touch? The only other thing that comes to mind would be if the punch were out of adjustment enough to prevent the lube pump from actuating but you said you did 400 boolits so . . .

A regular heat gun is fairly pricey and puts out far more heat than you would need for this, I suggest a hair dryer to heat the reservoir. If there isn't something in the lube that could plug up the holes ?? a hair dryer will get it warm enough for the lube to run out on it's own.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned
    Providing the heater is working and is capable of heating it up you could crank the heat up all the way and let her drain out and catch the drippings.

Could it be low on lube? When you unscrew the air cylinder do you lift the cylinder at all before you feel the drag of the piston? Close to the end of travel of the air cylinder wall will slow or stop the lube flow.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gtgeorge View Post
    Could it be low on lube? When you unscrew the air cylinder do you lift the cylinder at all before you feel the drag of the piston? Close to the end of travel of the air cylinder wall will slow or stop the lube flow.

That was kinda the point I was trying to make when I asked for a measurement

Boolit Master
    You can always buy a cheap heat gun at Harbor freight. I think they are on sale for $10 today. Look online. Rod

Boolit Buddy
    OK gents I got it solved with the help of a heat gun. I got the cheapest one from Lowes, $25 Wagner. I found out right away the high setting was too high. The low setting was fine. I brought the base up to temp, then warmed up the tube with the heat gun. Finally I set the gun up about 6 inches way still on low. The lube started moving with 60# on the air assist and I started getting lube out of the hole on the tube. At that point I stopped the heat gun and sized and lubed 3K 125 grain 9mm boolits without problems. Thanks to all for your input. I received my Magma 1" lube order, so I will not need to melt any big sticks unless I get in a bind. Now that I've got the heat gun I've got the solution.
    Best regards!