Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: NEI lube

Boolit Buddy

NEI lube

I have some NEI "Hawkeye" lube I picked up with a box of casting stuff from an ex-caster. The label reads....
    Hi-Speed pistol-Rifle lube
    400 degree melt
    Sodium soap base
    Water soluable

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Would it blend with other lubes? I've been using White Label and LBT lubes in my sizers and don't know what to use this lube for.

Thanks

Banned

It will blend with traditional wax/oil based lubes same as lithium soap grease will, but I wouldn't do that just to use it up, it will probably mess up the attributes of both. Several of use have worked extensively with sodium-soap-based lubes, including a wax-free sodium brick grease called TnT. I would be very much interested buying a sample of Walt's old lube from you to add to the testing done in the "Quest for extreme lube" thread.

Gear

Boolit Buddy

Gear

I didn't pay anything for it and neither will you! When I think of how much I've picked up from you and several others on this forum for free....
    PM your address please.

It is Texaco Taurak(spelling?) and very good.t was used in trains on the old friction brakes on the hot boxes. Its water soluble so it wouldn’t mess up the tracks. it’s very good stuff and you don’t need a lot on the bullet. I still have a 15# chunk of it I got from Walt Melander 15-20 years ago.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by doghawg View Post
    Gear

I didn't pay anything for it and neither will you! When I think of how much I've picked up from you and several others on this forum for free....
    PM your address please.
    Gear

I sometimes tend to post like I talk in person. I don't know how this post came across without expressions and voice inflections but what I'm trying to say is if you PM an address I'll send some your way...no charge.

You don't need a lot of it for velocities to about 2000 fps in 30 caliber. Often just the area above the GC shank(if big enough) will work fine.It not magic but there is no magic lube anyhow.

Banned

Doghawg, I read you loud and clear, and thank you very much! I've been pig hunting all weekend and didn't get back until just now, PM on the way.

Gear

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    It is Texaco Taurak(spelling?) and very good.t was used in trains on the old friction brakes on the hot boxes. Its water soluble so it wouldn’t mess up the tracks. it’s very good stuff and you don’t need a lot on the bullet. I still have a 15# chunk of it I got from Walt Melander 15-20 years ago.
    The sodium-based lubes have come as close to "magic" as any I've tried, sodium brick grease doesn't melt or weep oil in extremely hot weather like lithium and wax-based lubes do. The problem for me has been accuracy, very difficult to get a high-sodium lube to shoot well, except for Paco's lube and one notable other.

Gear

If you look at match results over the last 30 years in Schutzen,ASSRA and CBA there is a variety of lubes that win. Some are more commonly used than others but its less of a consideration then bullet fit and proper powder choice for the velocity. To me lube experimentation is a waste of time. Efforts to read the wind and achieve perfect fit in a rifles throat are better spent endeavors.

Banned

HMP, when those competitions start involving a 150-degree shooting bench surface temperature, semi-autos, and 2500+ FPS I'll start paying more attention to what they come up with for lubes. Until then, I'll keep looking for what will work for ME, and lube has a much greater impact on what I do than wind.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master
    Wonder how many of those matches are fired at 20 degrees? With no warming shots or foulers either.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

I will say that one CBA shooter did get my rapt attention with his VooDoo lube, but even that needs a couple of foulers to get things going before shooting a scoring group. There was a reason that VooDoo lube was invented......because lube DOES matter, even in the CBA.

Gear