Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jalapeno Growing.

Vendor Sponsor

So far in growing peppers, we have sprouts.. These things take forever even to get this far. This is why I like to buy bedded plants when I can find them. I started them on March 31, this is May 1st, so one month to the day..

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Peppers and Tomatoes coming on nicely.Jalapenos,Fresnos,Birds Eye and Cayenne.Planted some outside as well (fingers crossed).

Boolit Master

A closer view.The advise here was spot on thanks guys.

Vendor Sponsor

May 25, 3 1/2 weeks since putting them in starter pots. This is with natural light, no grow light, some full sun, been feeding them liquid kelp in reduced concentrations. I am sorta holding back on planting them in the raised beds, garlic will be time to come out soon and if I can hold out another 2-3 weeks, I can put them in beds where the garlic is now.

2 fat ones on the lower left are Hatch Chiles (Anaheim) then there are 4 Purple Bells, 3 Orange Yummy, and 6 Aleppo. I have a Caribbean Red in the big bed in the garden and it's doing quite well so far. These won't do much until the weather gets hot and stays hot so if they don't take off like a race horse, don't worry, their time will come.

Caribbean Red (Scotch Bonnet):

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Tiny Jalapenos have appeared,so it looks like we are on the way.Fresno,Habaneros and Cayenne also showing tiny fruit.The Tomatoes have small fruit showing so its time to start feeding peppers and toms.The weather here is warm and wet,I have planted a few spare Jalapenos outside to see how they perform.

Vendor Sponsor

Thumbs up! I finally got my peppers into the raised beds just last week. Gonna be a while yet before they grow any fruit but hey I got this far!

Boolit Buddy
    Chile pequins have made a bumper crop again. I am.growing these plants year round indoors in pots in winter and get peppers from may till Nov here in Tx. Great little pepper, very hot and great flavor. If anyone wants some seeds let me know. I mail them in a reg envelope and usually put about 20 in each. I start them in reg potting soil indoors in full sunlight. I haven't had any fail to sprout yet.
    Stacy

Boolit Master

My Peppers and Tomatoes are doing well.plenty of flowers on the Jalapenos, some have set and have small peppers showing.Feeding once a week.

Boolit Master

The rest of the Garden is doing well,eating lettuce,Radishes,Beet,Spring Onions,Potatoes.

Boolit Master
    This year I didn't get plants into the ground and going, and I just haven't been up to messing with it. Usually I grow Jalapenos, Cayenne, Poblano, and Sweet Banana Peppers. One piece of advice I can give is NEVER plant your sweet banana peppers close to the others or you will have HOT banana Peppers not sweet ones! I found this out the hard way, and the buggers were hotter than the Jalapenos that year! I tried growing Ancho, Cascabel, and Arbol chili peppers but honestly I wasn't getting enough yield to justify the water bill for the plants. Too bad. Those three dried and ground together make one heck of a good chili powder. I have NEVER been able to get bell peppers to grow in my part of East Texas. Dunno what it is but they don't grow, and when they do they don't make.

Oh and FYI despite what some folks claim Poblano's and Ancho's are NOT exactly the same. Dunno what the difference is other than one I get good yields off of and the other not so much...

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Yes down there in Texas it can be very dry and those peppers need a sub tropical climate to exist.We have the opposite here where it is either too wet or cold so a greenhouse is the best option for Peppers.So far this summer has been nice and warm so I have put out some surplus pepper plants to see how they do.Those folks south of your border in Mexico have the right conditions in some areas but will find problems in the more arid areas.

Boolit Master
    Yeah and the Piney Woods where I live is not only an odd climate for Texas, but we are also in lowland river bottom territory so..... yeah. I have had MANY varieties of plants that just died from root rot, fire ants, or any number of odd combinations we get around here. Four things that grow like wildfire around here are watermelons, peanuts, tomatos, and purplehull peas. Yeller crookneck squash, and turnips do ok, but I have never been hungry enough in my life to eat a turnip on purpose so ...... there......

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Turnips ugh,no flavour,when cooked mushy,tried some a while ago YUK.

Boolit Master

Hopefully you can see a couple of Peppers.The Right hand Jalapeno,the left hand a Habanero.Something is eating the leaves but so far the fruit have,nt been attacked.

Boolit Master
    look around for a large green caterpillar/worm lookin thing. It will blend right in with the plants. Sometimes they can be bigger around and longer than your thumb. Called tobacco worms around here they LOVE to eat pepper and tomato plant leaves. Just pluck it off and stomp it or feed it to chickens.

GoodOlBoy

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that,Yes I found some similar caterpilars,green about 1" long,similar to yours but Cabbage white butterfly grubs.Picked off 5 and dispatched them.They are hard to spot I had to put the specs on.
    Lots of flowers on the plants and some fruit developing.I have some outside smaller but in flower.(just plants I had left over.

Boolit Master

This large Slug is 5" long and as thick as a finger.This could be one of the culprits who are dining on my Pepper leaves.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Col4570 View Post

This large Slug is 5" long and as thick as a finger.This could be one of the culprits who are dining on my Pepper leaves.
    Saute those with butter and garlic and stuff them into used snail shells. You could sell them to your neighbors a couple of hundred miles South-east of you.

Moderator Emeritus

Nasty!

Boolit Buddy
    Turnips are awesome when cooked properly. Cube them and boil them until tender with salt and pepper. Add a little butter after cooking and they are superb. Oh I forgot add a little bit of sugar to remove the bitterness.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast