Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jalapeno Growing.

Boolit Master

Jalapeno Growing.

Do any of you folks grow Jalapenos,Each year I grow Cayenne peppers successfully but would like to try Jalapenos.My question is are they hard to grow and do they need special care.I grow my Cayennes and tomatoes together in a Glass House and feed them the same.I have been buying Pickled Jalapenos and my mouth waters just thinking about them .

Boolit Master
    Jalepenos will grow with the same gusto as the Cayenne pepper. I container grow Jalepenos every year on my patio. It is a very hardy plant. Last year I dried some in my dehydrator and ground them in the same manner that red pepper is ground. It was very good stuff.

Banned

^What he said. Most peppers are easy to grow. Try a Hungarian Black, very nice pepper/plant.

Boolit Master
    I grow lots of them. They are easy to grow but need warm weather ( about the same as tomatoes, so your greenhouse would be fine) They are great fresh grilled or roasted. Let some get ripe (red) and chop them up for seasoning. There are many varieties so get one of the hybrids that suits your likes. Mine are about 4 inches tall in the greenhouse now, and will be set out in the field in 3 or 4 weeks.
    Good growing.

bhn22
    Peppers are easy. Seriously. They don't require any real fuss at all.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If a person has room inside, you can winter peppers over for 5-6 years easily. They bear better the second year onward.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Thank you Guys,I bought some Cayenne Seeds today,I will go out to look for some Jalapeno seeds,I had some of the pickled ones today in my lunch sandwiches with some Roast Pork and stuffing.Nice.

Boolit Buddy

I have a friend that lives in town, with a small garden. The coons used to tear his garden up until the year he decided to grow ghost chilli's.
    For some reason the 1 million Scoville unit peppers kept all the wildlife out of the garden.........
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy".
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Jalepenos were about the only thing my dad could grow. They are hearty. He managed tomatoes ok. That's about all he grew in a little sectioned off area on the side of the porch. I'm gonna grow both in honor of him this season.

I find most plants for the most part fairly hearty so long as they have decent soil, water and fertilizer. Keep them from frost and extreme drought and theyll grow. My favorites are okra and tomatoes. The key with okra is picking them young so theyre not woody.

Moderator Emeritus

Peppers always do well in my garden, to the oint I can't give them away by the end of the year

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgy50 View Post
    I have a friend that lives in town, with a small garden. The coons used to tear his garden up until the year he decided to grow ghost chilli's.
    For some reason the 1 million Scoville unit peppers kept all the wildlife out of the garden.........
    Now that made me laugh just thinking about those coons munching on one!
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master

I may have missed it in the above post but don't fertlize too heavy.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Grand Master

If you get a good crop of peppers, and have put up enough pickled peppers, you can slice and freeze them in a plastic zip lock to use in cooking. You don't have to blanch them or anything, pick, slice and freeze...use them like fresh in cooking.
    Also give them as much sun as you can...more sun=more peppers. And space them 2 or 3 feetapart, the plant needs room.

Good luck growing
    Gary

Boolit Master

I have been doing this for over 10 years. When you are ready to set your plants out in the garden, dig the plant hole an inch or two deeper than what you normally would. Place a heaping table spoon of Epson Salts in the bottom of the hole, cover with at least two inches of soil then place your pepper plant in the hole and cover as usual. You WILL have an abundance of peppers. We have so many that people will avoid me when they see me coming with a full plastic shopping bag.

My wife says to grow really hot peppers you need to have a hot temper. She does pretty well.

Boolit Master

Jalapenos do best if you can get some well rotted cow or horse manure to work into the soil.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    I have been doing this for over 10 years. When you are ready to set your plants out in the garden, dig the plant hole an inch or two deeper than what you normally would. Place a heaping table spoon of Epson Salts in the bottom of the hole, cover with at least two inches of soil then place your pepper plant in the hole and cover as usual. You WILL have an abundance of peppers. We have so many that people will avoid me when they see me coming with a full plastic shopping bag.

I have never tried that does the pepper absorb the salt or does it just help with the soil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 472x1B/A View Post
    Thank you for that,Epson Salts on the list.Looking forward to the weather improving,I dug the garden over at the back end of last year so the soil should be in good condition,I have a large pile of own made compost to go in within the next few days.

Boolit Master
    Jalapeno Growing: If you fertilize or add any kind of miracle growth the peppers will not be nearly as hot as those grown in Mexico, however you will have more of them on the plants.
    The plants need to be stressed with LOTS of sunlight if you want them HOT. Try planting them on a South facing wall, brick/mortar/rock witch will pick up the heat and conduct it through the ground to the plants (NO shade), or in wide open area where they get direct sunlight all day.

Boolit Buddy
    I grow chili pequins (Turkey Peppers)here in Tx. They grow wild and I decided to grow peppers all year long. Much better than Jalapenos. Shoot me a pm with your address if you want some seeds. They are very small and very hot, but very delicious. I make salsa with them and enjoy them with other stuff as well. It makes the best vinegar pepper sauce in the world. Peppers heat depends on the acidity of the soil. You can make them hotter or milder by making acidic or alkaline soil properties.
    Stacy
    Last edited by shooterbob; 03-01-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast