Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 457124

Lyman 457124

Thinking of buying a 457124 366 grain mold for my no.1 Ruger 45-70. Anyone have any experience with this mold? I would be useing IMR-4895 and get the vel. about 1600 fps. I have the Lyman 457125 that is a 500 grain bullet that shoots great but recoil in a bit much after 50 rounds or so. I tried the lee 405 gr. round flat point but could not get it to shoot good.

Boolit Master
    It's my standard boolit for my Garrett Sharps and my High-Wall in .45-70. Shoots very well, and, as you say, not as hard on the shoulder. My rifles have the 22" twist, so this weight boolit is a pretty good match.

Super Moderator

..............It was my general shooting boolit in the 45-70 & 90. That is, until they ran a GB on a 6 cavity mould for a 350gr slug .

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master

I use 457124 in my H&R TDs and my 450-400-70 (Siamese Mauser converted to 45-70). I load it to 1400 fps with 4895 for use in both action types w/o danger to the TDs. I have pushed it up to around 1600 fps in the Mauser with 4895. Accuracy is very good but goes south very quickly as most non GC bullets do. I use WW with 2-3% tin added for alloy and they weigh close to 400 gr.

Larry Gibson

Le Loup Solitaire

Lyman 457124

I've used this boolit successfully in an 86, a rolling block and an 85 Win Hi Wall with various powders and charges. Got respectable groupings well within the expected levels for 45-70. It casts at .458 with WW at around 395 grains, so I have been just lubing them with 50-50 NRA formula and shooting them "as cast". The highest I've gone was with an old NRA loading of 53 grains of 3031. Pretty potent! although that was for 86's in good condition and mine is. I wasn't though, after putting the curved buttplate in the wrong spot...one time. Keep the fps under 14-1500 with lighter loadings as it'll be easier on you.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    ... best group with the a Pedersoli Sharps, Lyman 457124 and 65gr FFg:
    20 shots - 300yd target group - 10 bulls eyes - 4 (10's) and the rest were 9 - 7's
    Shoots great with a Hi-Wall and the H&R BC too
    Regards
    John

Hey guys, thanks for your replys! I will order one from midway soon. I think about 45.0 grains of 4895 will put me in the ball park of 15 to 1600 fps. I want to stay below the leading problem. I read Paul Matthews [Forty Years With The 45-70] It is a real good book. he liked to beef up the loads in his 1886. John Boy, what do you figure the fps is with that load? About 12 to 1300 ? I also found out that I had better results with 50-50 NRA lube than with lee tumble lube with rifle bullets.

I just got a Ranch Dog 350 gr. mold. Anyone got a pet load with IMR 3031 out of a Marlin 1895 CB?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog45 View Post
    I just got a Ranch Dog 350 gr. mold. Anyone got a pet load with IMR 3031 out of a Marlin 1895 CB?
    ...............About 52 grains.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Didn't want to hijack the thread but thanks Buckshot for the input.Think I will reduce to 50gr to start.This message board works great when you don't have a load book around

I have this mold and will be shooting some ober the next few days in my Ruger #1. I will post my results.
    "There he bought a saddle, a .22 caliber single-shot rifle, and a .45 caliber Business Sharps, a somewhat ligher version of the Big Fity Sharps, the favorite rifle of the buffalo hunters. He already had a 12 bore muzzleloading shotgun, so his arsenal was complete, and along with an ax and a few other necessities, he had the basic tools of a frontiersman.~Trails of a Wilderness Wanderer~Andy Russell~

Boolit Master

You might look around a bit. I have both the 457124 and 457125. Both shoot all right in the Number 1 but the noses on both run about .446" and a .450" is preferable. The story is that both these bullets were made to clone the original BP bullets for the .45/70 in BP loads and had the noses designed small to work in BP fouled bores.

If you have a .45/70, you almost have to have a 457122HP Lyman and at least try the RCBS 45-405-FN.

In the Number 1, you can get almost any bullet to shoot. They're not too picky./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

My go to boolit for my 1884 Trapdoor is an old 457124HP I bought in the 70s.
    Shoots to the original issue sights with 30 gr 4198.....dale