Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Chiappa 357???

Boolit Buddy

Chiappa 357???

I stopped into the LGS today to see what might be lurking on the rack. This Chiappa 357 caught my eye. It's used, had the rear sight removed and a tang post type peep sight installed. It appears to be in pretty good shape. He has a price of $659.00 on it. I looked at a few sights on line and couldn't find one to compare price. Value? Are they a good rifle? It seems tight and solid. Any wisdom appreciated, and thanks in advance. Oh, it has an octagonal barrel looks to be about 24" long.

Boolit Master
    So is this an 1885 falling block replica?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    So is this an 1885 falling block replica?
    Sorry I should have stated. It's a model 92 Replica.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJohn View Post
    I stopped into the LGS today to see what might be lurking on the rack. This Chiappa 357 caught my eye. It's used, had the rear sight removed and a tang post type peep sight installed. It appears to be in pretty good shape. He has a price of $659.00 on it. I looked at a few sights on line and couldn't find one to compare price. Value? Are they a good rifle? It seems tight and solid. Any wisdom appreciated, and thanks in advance. Oh, it has an octagonal barrel looks to be about 24" long.
    I sold my '94 44 Cowboy Ltd. the other day and stopped by Sportsmans Whse to see if they had anything lurking in 357. The salesman brought out this same rifle. Its price new was $695. I was immediately taken back by its dang fine good looks and tight fitting stock to receiver work. I asked the salesman about warranty. He said he didn't know. I then asked the salesman about where to send the rifle if it needed factory work, broken parts etc. He said he didn't know. I had a fist full of pesos and I was itchin to get a 357 so I looked the guy in the eye and said "well find out cause I'm interested. " He started fumbling around on the internet with no success. I asked him if they had any Marlins and he said that they got them in from time to time ( I didn't believe that ) but I said well check with your other stores and then check on this rifle and call me. I'M INTERESTED. They never called me. In the mean time I went home and started to search the net for info on this Chiappa. If you look on their website you will notice they say alot about quality this and exact fit that but they don't mention anything about warranty. Odd ? So I checked about complaints and I found on the Better Business Bureau Site some very interesting stuff. They are an off shoot company of Rossi and their customer service is exactly the same as Rossi which told me FORGET IT. The complaints of shoddy workmanship, crappy customer service and even worse quality of goods had me on my knees thanking God that He kept me from making a huge mistake. Do yourself a favor and just send me the cash cause I could use it or throw it away. Whatever, but don't do business with them.

Also, I'm going to buy a Henry Big Boy tomorrow morning for $699 OTD NIB. I'm tired of waiting to get a Marlin ( three years now ) and Winchesters are out of this world price wise for a really used gun and I'm not getting any younger. There's just something about a 357 lever that just feels good and they can shoot anything down dead to 100 yards toot-suite . Check them out. If you can get by the loading via a tube like a 22 then you've gotten by one of the biggest hangups. Their customer service from what I gather is sterling and their attention to detail on their firearms is first rate not to mention that they are 100% MADE IN AMERICA. Need I say more ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by enoch59 View Post
    I sold my '94 44 Cowboy Ltd. the other day and stopped by Sportsmans Whse to see if they had anything lurking in 357. The salesman brought out this same rifle. Its price new was $695. I was immediately taken back by its dang fine good looks and tight fitting stock to receiver work. I asked the salesman about warranty. He said he didn't know. I then asked the salesman about where to send the rifle if it needed factory work, broken parts etc. He said he didn't know. I had a fist full of pesos and I was itchin to get a 357 so I looked the guy in the eye and said "well find out cause I'm interested. " He started fumbling around on the internet with no success. I asked him if they had any Marlins and he said that they got them in from time to time ( I didn't believe that ) but I said well check with your other stores and then check on this rifle and call me. I'M INTERESTED. They never called me. In the mean time I went home and started to search the net for info on this Chiappa. If you look on their website you will notice they say alot about quality this and exact fit that but they don't mention anything about warranty. Odd ? So I checked about complaints and I found on the Better Business Bureau Site some very interesting stuff. They are an off shoot company of Rossi and their customer service is exactly the same as Rossi which told me FORGET IT. The complaints of shoddy workmanship, crappy customer service and even worse quality of goods had me on my knees thanking God that He kept me from making a huge mistake. Do yourself a favor and just send me the cash cause I could use it or throw it away. Whatever, but don't do business with them.
    WOW. Thanks for the info. That's to bad, it was a really nice looking rifle. Save money and keep looking.

Boolit Grand Master
    Enoch59 does not know whereof he speaks.
    They are AN ITALIAN firm that has been making western (i.e. cowboy) firearms for about 55 years now. They have nothing to do with Rossi, which is now part of BrazTech, a brazilian firm. The US headquarters are in Dayton, Ohio, their manual states they have a one year limited warranty.
    I can not comment on the Better Business bureau allegations, but given how much else he got wrong, I'd certainly check on that for myself before taking his word for it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Enoch59 does not know whereof he speaks.
    They are AN ITALIAN firm that has been making western (i.e. cowboy) firearms for about 55 years now. They have nothing to do with Rossi, which is now part of BrazTech, a brazilian firm. The US headquarters are in Dayton, Ohio, their manual states they have a one year limited warranty.
    I can not comment on the Better Business bureau allegations, but given how much else he got wrong, I'd certainly check on that for myself before taking his word for it.
    Ahem: http://www.bbb.org/dayton/business-r...ints#breakdown.

My point was to keep a brother from making a mistake that I just about made myself. As I researched more tonight I was unable to find the quote about Rossi so I stand corrected.
    Last edited by enoch59; 02-28-2014 at 02:09 AM. Reason: site change. This to correct.

Boolit Grand Master

IDK enoch59. You say you were taken aback by the fine looking specimen and the tight stock:receiver fit but then go on about the shoddy workmanship.
    The company has nothing to do with Rossi. You can visit their website http://www.chiappafirearms.com/company and read for yourself.
    A simple check of their site, going to the 1892 for example and looking at the online manual for that firearm shows in the index on page 28 "Warranty" and the following:

1. The manufacturer guarantees, for a year after the purchase date, the free substitution of parts for
    defects which have been found out during use: wear of parts which shouldn’t be subject to wear, or
    excessive wear of parts subject to wear. The customer will have to give evidence of the purchase
    date with a bill or other valid proof.
    2. In case the defect under cover of guarantee is not repairable, The manufacturer will provide for a free substitution of the weapon.

I'm not sure how you could miss an entire section of an online manual that says "warranty". I went to their site, clicked 1892, clicked manual, clicked index, clicked warranty and there it was. Took me 10 sec or so.

As for the BBB Complaints: All of the complaints seem to have been resolved quickly by the company in a satisfactory manor. 13 complaints over 3 years and an "A" BBB Rating seems pretty good to me. What else do you want from them????

None of this is hard to find. If, in your haste to diss the firearm, you fail to get these simple things right, I would be cautious in taking anything else that you say at face value.
    Last edited by jonp; 02-28-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I'd say go for the Chiappa. I got a Rhino and love it! The '92 replicas run at about $1200-$1400 brand new. The Italians are known for fine workmanship on firearms. If you don't buy it please let me know so I can
    Domari Nolo

I hate to say this but I'd let it pass. The Chiappa 92's look nice but one of our local smiths that does most of the area's cowboy action work cringes when a Chiappa 92 walks in the door. And it turns to a double cringe with spinal shakes when he finds out that it's a .357. the short version is that they took too many short cuts when chambering for the smaller cartridge and it produces a lot of issues for fast cycling and overall smoothness. The bottom line is that I suggested that a slicked up Rossi might be better and he vehemently nodded his head in agreement.

On the outside the guns LOOK FANTASTIC! But I just wish they put half that much effort towards the innards. Then we'd have a winner.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Grand Master

And it turns to a double cringe with spinal shakes when he finds out that it's a .357. the short version is that they took too many short cuts when chambering for the smaller cartridge and it produces a lot of issues for fast cycling and overall smoothness

Such as what problems and short cuts? I don't own one and hard evidence might save me from an expensive mistake. They sure look good.
    Last edited by jonp; 03-07-2014 at 11:31 AM. Reason: add bold 4 quotd cmt
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

You might have made a big mistake, relying on your gunsmith - IF the Chiappa .357 wasn't an early version.

FWIW, Chiappa did have problems when they first started producing Model 92's, but got them straightened out after consultation with the pre-eminent M92 gunsmith in the US ( www.stevesgunz.com ).

I would have bought it in a New York Minute for that money (about 3/4-price), then installed a folding rear sight in the barrel, so the rifle could be set up with dual zeroes (open sights for a short range zero/shot; tang sight for a longer zero/shots)

Boolit Buddy
    Why don't you see what Stevesgunz wants for a re-worked Rossi 92?

Boolit Master
    This is the first I have read on Chiappas in a while. If indeed they got their rears in gear that is good news. I know the first samples I dealt with were nightmares to even get to function. That was several years back now, so my info is dated.

Boolit Buddy

I have one 357 with 24" barrel, good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Such as what problems and short cuts? I don't own one and hard evidence might save me from an expensive mistake. They sure look good.
    It was a few months back when we had this talk over a beer at the end of the day. The only two I recall were something to do with trying to get by with the larger .45LC magazine tube and something he found wrong with the cartridge guides or the internal width of the receiver was too wide or something like that.

On a personal note I bought an Armi Sport flintlock a couple of years back. Armi Sport being the muzzle loader sub brand for Chiappa. The lock was so poorly designed and made that it soon became unusable. There's no bridle to support the hammer rotor, drum or whatever it's called so the trigger feel is heavy and inconsistent. Also the hooks on the drum are not correctly cut so the trigger's sear can catch the half cock not really easily if the trigger is not pulled fast and smartly. On top of that the barrel lacks a screw in bushing for the touch hole. It's just a pinhole drilled in the side of the barrel. And to add insult to injury the mainspring was held in place with a really badly shaped pin that extended off the side of the spring. That pin or tab was badly ground to make it fit and it snapped off. Looking around at other flint actions the spring is typically held in position by a screw that acts as a retaining pin. Again it LOOKS GREAT... until you start looking under the externals.

I do hope you're right and they've turned themselves around. The stuff they are making offers a few guns that are just not available from the other makers. I'd like to take advantage of some of them. But not until I learn for sure that they've smartened up with the core quality.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Buddy
    My local gun emporium has maybe 6 chiappa 92s all priced $647. No .357s all 44/40 44 mag and 45 Colt. The actions aren't particularly smooth but the price is right.