Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First table at a gun show

First table at a gun show

What do I need to know?

Thanks in advance...
    TES
    They call it "common sense". Why is it so uncommon?

Love Life
    Be personable. Nothing makes me put my wallet back in my pocket faster than somebody who is bothered by me asking them a question.

Banned

take a table cloth for the bottom of the table. take another cloth to cover for the evening.

take markers, pencil, pins and tags and labels for your items.

take a chair, and a cooler with drinks and snacks.

Boolit Master

I only set up at one show to sell a lot of misc. items. I was surprised by how many vendors wanted to trade for my stuff.

Boolit Grand Master
    comfortable chair and cooler. Ink pens, paper towels, cloths, cleaning rod, inspection light, calculator and pleasant attitude

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Be personable. Nothing makes me put my wallet back in my pocket faster than somebody who is bothered by me asking them a question.
    I second this!!!!

Just because you don't think a person may want/be able to afford one of your items, you never know!!! That guy with the kids in tow may buy a TON of your stuff, after only stopping because you said hello!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I second this!!!!

Just because you don't think a person may want/be able to afford one of your items, you never know!!! That guy with the kids in tow may surprise you!

Also say hello to everyone you can, sometimes that gets us to pause long enough to notice you have something I HAVE to have!

Last pet peeve I will rant about is, there is no such thing as a "dumb" question. If I don't know what it is, just means I don't know WHY I NEED it
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have plenty of cash to make change. It seems like every time I purchase a $20 item, all I have on me is a 100 dollar bill.

Boolit Buddy
    pal82 - I have the opposite problem. Every time I want to buy a $100 item all I have is a $20 bill.

Boolit Buddy
    List at sensible prices...

Boolit Buddy
    What show is it?

Keep a close eye on your stuff and don't turn your back on anybody.

Used to be, you could leave your table unattended for a potty break, but things have changed in the last thirty years. While one guy draws your attention to one end of the table his buddy is at the other end stuffing his pockets with whatever he can lay his hands on.

Sad, but true. 99.99% of people will be honest and treat you right, but a couple seconds of inattention can cost you more than you can earn at the show.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master
    Set up early- as mentioned earlier, the other vendors can be your best customers- give them time to look at and think about.
    Loren

Boolit Master

What they said, plus have fun!

I had my first (and last) gun show table just over a year ago. I had just gotten laid off, had a brand new baby, and was looking at moving for work (we did, a good move for the best job I've ever had).

I hauled a ton of stuff to the show, and sold a bunch of it. I would definitely take these guys' advice and prepare, prepare. I would have done better had I prepared better. A lot of stuff I was pricing at the last minute. Some stuff I could have sold had I remembered to dig it out from under the table and put a price on it. I sold a lot of stuff cheap and gave some stuff away. (That's what you do sometimes when life has you in a panic.)

Oh- and don't let people get to you. It's a lot different on that side of the table. Most people were pretty nice, but there were a few jerks over the weekend. I remember a couple that were just plain rude, telling me my prices were way out of line. When I finally got a break from selling stuff and looked around, I realized I had the best prices at the show! I guess they were just wanting 1980's prices.

I don't think I'll ever do it again, mostly because I don't have either the time or accumulation of stuff to sell, but it sure was an interesting experience.

My sister does this for a living. Actually, she works for a few different vendors as a substitute if someone can't work. She says rule number one is to price everything. You will get very tired repeating prices and a lot of people won't bother to ask. They'll just go on to the next table. Number two is don't overload the table. spread things out so even casual glances will pick out items. If need be, leave some things off the table until others sell or exchange items. If no one is looking at that item on the end, take it off and put something else in it's place.

Boolit Master
    Put prices on your items!

If a man is too lazy to price his goods, I just walk on by. I feel he is dishonest. The price he tells me is likely to be different than what he told another guy.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mnkyracer View Post
    pal82 - I have the opposite problem. Every time I want to buy a $100 item all I have is a $20 bill.
    Are you sure they still make $100.00 bills? I haven't seen one since 1989.

Boolit Master

Dealers that don't put prices on their goods are my pet peeve too. If I don't see price tags I just keep walking even though I might be interested in one of their items.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    i used to set up at gun shows. always tried to get near the door. that way you have first crack at anything that walks in. don't fall for the I am a dealer so you should sell it to me real cheap. set small items on the back of the table. makes them harder to grab and go. put prices on your stuff. watch your stuff. I have never been hit at a gun show. but at the car show I set up at 2 times a year I have been.

Boolit Grand Master

A good handle on the Federal, State and local firearms laws would be important if you intend to sell firearms...

Other than that, the guys above have it pretty much covered. Price your goods and don't be offended by offers. If it's too low, just smile and say no or counter higher if it suits you to do so.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast