Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Melting the lead from j-words

Boolit Buddy

Melting the lead from j-words

Is there a thread or has anybody have experience of melting the lead out of j-words and casting that? I did it about 30 years ago when me and my dad were making a cheap boat anchor out of lead and J words and wanted to know what was the best way to separate the lead and copper.

Boolit Buddy

As long as there is a spot for the lead to flow out of just heat it up and the jackets will float to the top.

Boolit Buddy

If its is fully covered i use either side cut's or just hit them with a hammer to make a small split in the copper jacket. Or trade your J words for lead.

Indeed jackets float on the melt. Even if the jacket isn't split the lead will come out when hot enough. Do a search for "range scrap" tons of info on it here.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Mold
    I melt range scrap and all the jackets float to the top....only thing that gives me problems are the clay pigeon pieces...they turn gooy and can stick to everything.

Boolit Buddy

Thank you. I was trying to get the lead out of fired projectiles so that I can melt the lead into ingots and sell the copper.

Run a magnet over your copper jackets after you separate them. Toss out anything that sticks to a magnet.

The scrapyard will poopoo your bounty if anything sticks to a magnet (from copper washed bullet jackets).

Boolit Grand Master
    No cutting or hammering for me. Lead will always find a way out.

Any jacketed bullet must have a place where the core went in, it isn't sealed tight enough to keep mother lead in. Plated bullets have a thin enough coating that it falls apart when heated.

I have done well over a ton of range scrap and never saw a need for washing, hammering, sorting, or anything but heating.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

btroj, you must be a lucky one. I have to sort through all of my jackets I take to the scrap yard. Another guy here brought some in and had a bunch that did not melt. I melt mine on a turkey fryer and it gets way hot. Much hoter than a casting pot. I always end up with a bunch that did not open and melt out. So I sort them out and cut them with side cutters.

I have actually started to sort them out before I smelt. I am also trying to get out the clay pigeons pieces. They make a big mess out of the jackets. And it sticks to the sides of the pot and you have to use a chisel and hammer to get it off. Plus they smell like sulfur and gives off yellow smoke.

Boolit Master
    The type of range you are recovering scrap from makes a big difference. I'm currently processing about 7 tons of indoor scrap, it's all been hitting a steel backstop so every jacketed projectile has been smashed flat to some degree. The problems occur when mining berms where bullets are recovered pretty much whole; some pistol bullets are well sealed up and need to be cracked or pinched in order to melt down the lead.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine are all from outdoor berms. Most bullets are intact.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned
    Plated bullets are usually the ones that didn't have a split or crack that I have to pick out of the scrap.

Also be careful when melting recovered bullets. Some may have a bit of water in the jacket. Cover the pot wile melting. Little bit of water makes a mess on you if your too close. Ask me how I know.

LaMar

Boolit Master
    I make a point of cutting a drain in plated bullets. In my experience with range scrap, plated bullets end up looking like pregnant footballs when hot- and don't even think of squishing them with pliers- hot lead all over the place!
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    No cutting or hammering for me. Lead will always find a way out.

Any jacketed bullet must have a place where the core went in, it isn't sealed tight enough to keep mother lead in. Plated bullets have a thin enough coating that it falls apart when heated.

I have done well over a ton of range scrap and never saw a need for washing, hammering, sorting, or anything but heating.
    Hey there, Btroj, If I send you two dollars will you buy me a lottery ticket?

I always have had at least a few "unmeltables" from my range pickups that require a whack from a sledge hammer to free the plumbous gold from its gilding metal prison. I once got a bucket from an indoor range that required TMJ ammunition and used chipped up tires for a back stop that was nearly worthless. I had to bash nearly half of those boogers to get the lead out. So called "FMJ's", with the hole in the base are no problem, but the TMJ stuff is a hole nother problem.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.