Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: No furnace--How do I anneal jackets prior to swaging?

Boolit Buddy

No furnace--How do I anneal jackets prior to swaging?

Howdy,

I am soon-to-be new swager. I have some stuff coming in the mail from a member here.

Anyway, I don't have a furnace, and I darn sure don't wanna buy one just for this. So I need another method of annealing jackets.

I know I can do it with a simple propane torch, but I also know that consistency = uniformity = accuracy. So my real question is how do I BEST anneal jackets to get repeatable results. I have annealed cases before using the stand-the-case-in-a-pan-of-water method with good results. But cases are much thicker than jackets I'll be using. Also, extending case life is less influential on accuracy than the jacket that actually goes downrange. How do yall anneal jackets? Is there a difference between commercial jackets and spent 22 LR for jackets?

Any help will be appreciated.

In Remembrance
    Go into the stickys at the top of the swaging section and look for my name, click and I have pictures of what I use. I also use a cast iron skillet with a lid for the 45cals I swage, takes me 1/2hr for those.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

I use the "clean cycle" on the electric self-cleaning oven. Others here use their lead melting pot, barbeque grills, Propane torches, etc. I'm sure others will chime in with their methods.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    I use a pipe bomb in the wood stove. Lay it on the hot coals 7 minutes on each side. Perfect!

Boolit Master

+1 on self clean cycle for electric oven. Go to a Goodwill/etc.. thrift store and get an old baking pan/broiler pan/etc.. to hold the brass while it is in the self clean cycle. You will need to De-Scale the brass afterward.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

The easiest for me is a cheap Lee melting pot w/o the bottom pour spout. The small one will do 100. Put them in, turn to 6, cover with hvy alum foil. 5min, then stir & 5min more, done. All the other methods work to, this is just easier for me.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    i managed to find an electric kiln on craigslist for 60 dollars.
    The only time you have too much fuel on board is when you're on fire.

"There are a lot of changes when it gets below -10 below F. in everything from ammo,gun, humidity, uncontrollable shaking and the strong urge to go home. "randyrat

Boolit Master
    I just use a propane torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
    I just use a propane torch.
    Same I torch them, put 100 cases base up heat up the case till it glowes, move on to the next one.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

+ on the Lee bottom pour, it works great and cheap

Boolit Master

I like the self-cleaning oven method (except in the summer) but maybe I'll use annealing as an excuse to get the small furnace I really want for heat treating dies and punches I make.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Mold
    I did an overnight treatment in a lee pot with an aluminum foil cover. My IR gun said about 950 degrees. I found they were still harder than about 4 seconds of dull red with a propane torch, and the scale was very spotty, and took longer to clean up.

My preferred method is the propane torch with the case spinning slowly on an electric screwdriver. Then just long enough in a tumbler with stainless steel pins some vinegar and finally a tap water flush

Boolit Master
    As most of you know, I don’t know anything but am trying to learn, but the OP is asking about jackets, not about cartridge brass. Do you anneal jackets? I thought not.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    As most of you know, I don’t know anything but am trying to learn, but the OP is asking about jackets, not about cartridge brass. Do you anneal jackets? I thought not.
    It seems that every response listed above referenced jacket annealing and not annealing cartridge case necks. A lot of swagers use brass cases, fully annealed, to swage bullets.

If someone tried to anneal cartidge brass for reloading with any of the above methods, they'd have a kaboom/catastrophic failure of the case from being over annealed. .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    It seems that every response listed above referenced jacket annealing and not annealing cartridge case necks. A lot of swagers use brass cases, fully annealed, to swage bullets.

If someone tried to anneal cartidge brass for reloading with any of the above methods, they'd have a kaboom/catastrophic failure of the case from being over annealed. .
    Just to confirm, to swage a bullet with a jacket you must first anneal the jacket? I’m surprised, I thought that jackets were already dead soft.

I’m talking about commercial jackets for swaging vs using cartridge brass as a jacket. Nothing to do with annealing for reloading purposes...all about swaging the bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

Annealing is a combination of heat (temp) and time at the heat level. You can anneal brass at 450*-500* but the "soak" time will take the better part of a day. A quick easy way to anneal brass fr swaging into bullets where you want it completely dead soft and all of it not just the neck. Pick up a charcoal lighter tube. Wrap the brass to be annealed in aluminum foil and seal the edges good. Start the charcoal to burning add the brass and more charcoal on top. A day with a nice breeze gives a hotter fire. Now simply walk away and let it burn until its burned out and cooled off. The ashes will insulate slowing the cooling rate more. This can be done in a charcoal grill, even a coffee can with holes drilled around it works. Build the fire add brass and more charcoal let burn until out and cooled.

Boolit Master
    I have never had to anneal commercial, purchased jackets for the specific caliber I'm swaging for when swaging them up. (J4's, or the Corbin brothers')

I do believe annealing a commercial jacket might be of benefit though when making a rebated boat tail. I've had a few "issues" when creating the rebate, pop-throughs of the core, not a well defined step to the rebate etc. This could be attributed to the jacket thickness, the diameter of the core seat punch or my technique. I don't do many rebateds, so I've never really explored annealing for this purpose. FWIW, I'm using Corbin S series dies in a Corbin CSP-1 press.

You can alter the malleability of the bullet upon impact / expansion by annealing the jacket, but I don't bother with it. Now, if I decide to make a bonded core bullet, you'll obviously anneal the jacket while melting the core. (I use a simple flame spreader on a propane torch to do this)

I do notice a little more "copper wash" in the barrel using bondeds, but the accuracy is still there.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by PbHurler; 12-06-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Added rebated info
    Bob

Vendor Sponsor

Commercial (copper color) jackets = no annealing necessary

Jackets made from scrap brass cartridges (yellow color) = annealing typically required

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Another nod here for either aluminum foil lined Lee melter or a toaster oven from Goodwill

There is an inverse relationship between temperature and duration. You can anneal in a matter of seconds with propane OR let a toaster oven get it done in an hour.