Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Looking for some advice on a 40S&W load

American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Looking for some advice on a 40S&W load

Ok, here's the deal. I'm loading a Boolit/load I can't find really any info on. Here are the specifics,
    40 SW, 175gn SWC (40 cal version of H&G 68) drops at about 178 gns
    Starting load is 4.0 gns Titegroup, oal 1.125, crimp measures .423 ( did find data for the crimp)
    When setting these up I had a fairly narrow range of finished cartridges that would fit the case gauge, and an even narrower range that would pass the plunk test in my STI barrel. So I went with what I could. ( these Boolits are coated with Hi Tek lube btw, but that shouldn't matter.)
    Took everything to the range, ran them through the chrono, recoil felt a bit heavier than usual, and started seeing some flattening of the primers, but I barely made 165 power factor.
    I'm not sure what to do here, if I try to increase COL to reduce pressure, ( I might be able to go to 1.135), I will drop below major power factor.
    Have you veterans got any ideas/ advice?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Not really specific to your situation, but my STI 2011 required a shorter OAL also, 1.12. Longer would work 99% of the time, but the occasional oversized boolit would require a bump to slide to chamber. Personally I run heavier bullets to make major.

Boolit Buddy
    Hello,

There are a couple of issues going on.

First, check to see if the sized but not belled or loaded cases will pass the Plunk test in your barrel. The cases may have too much bulge from previous loadings to chamber in a match barrel.

Second, Titegroup is too fast a powder to make major in this caliber. By the time you get the velocity up, the pressure is too much. Use something like AA5, AA7, Unique, Herco, 800X, WST etc. A powder that uses 5.5 to 6.5 grains will give you the velocity and the lower pressure needed. My own favorite load in a CZ75BSA is 1.140", RCBS 180 gr., and 5.8 gr. of Herco for approx. 980 fps.

Jeff

Sounds like a good idea JRR. According to the burn rate chart TG is 14, Ramshot Zip is 26, and Hodgdon Universal is 32. I have these other two on hand but haven't tried them yet. Will give them a try. Had problems making minor and cycling the gun with Zip in my Glock 19, but I didn't have any problems making major with 180 gn cast and TG in 40 for my old Glock 35. Oh well, I'll give these others a try and try the plunk test on sized brass. Thanks for the advice.

+1 for AA#5