RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Win 32 sp Value

Boolit Grand Master

Win 32 sp Value

I have noticed on several gun and auction sites like gunbroker, guns america and guns international that Win 32sp sell for less and sometimes a lot less than levers in other calibers.
    Anyone have an idea why?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    +1 What Phineas said.Everyknows that 32WS are better than 30/30s. Just don't tell the kids. Especially that you can load the WS with either black or smokeless powder.

Boolit Bub
    A year or so ago, I picked up a Model 64 in 32 WS. It has a perfect trigger and was made to shoot. I shot a 3 shot group at 50 yards that measured 3/8 inch. That may not be too impressive to young guys with good eyes, but for this 60+ year old, I was thrilled with that. It has been years since I could see clearly enough to do that consistently! I love my 32 WS!!

Boolit Master
    [QUOTEI have noticed on several gun and auction sites like gunbroker, guns america and guns international that Win 32sp sell for less and sometimes a lot less than levers in other calibers.
    Anyone have an idea why? QUOTE] Concerning Winchesters.
    Because its hard to tell with the necked eye if a 32's barrel is shot out or not. As a 30-30s barrel having the least bit of rifling left will still shoot as good as its first day out of the box.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    [QUOTEI have noticed on several gun and auction sites like gunbroker, guns america and guns international that Win 32sp sell for less and sometimes a lot less than levers in other calibers.
    Anyone have an idea why? QUOTE] Concerning Winchesters.
    Because its hard to tell with the necked eye if a 32's barrel is shot out or not. As a 30-30s barrel having the least bit of rifling left will still shoot as good as its first day out of the box.
    I've never heard that
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Im a young guy with a 32 Win Spl. It was my grand dad's... Now im looking for more brass. Mines a Win 94.
    Last edited by Cag40Navy; 02-25-2014 at 03:47 AM.
    Mickey Mouse School of Combat Graduate

On Heaven's Range

[QUOTE "Because its hard to tell with the necked eye if a 32's barrel is shot out or not. As a 30-30s barrel having the least bit of rifling left will still shoot as good as its first day out of the box."
    My, my.... is another myth being born (as if we don't have enough already)?

I really hope this is sarcasm or tongue-in-cheek, in which case it escapes me.

A barrel is just a barrel, and the .013"-difference from a nominal .30-30 barrel (.308") to a nominal .32 barrel (.321"?) is insignificant in terms of barrel life.

A shooter could use the chamberings alternately and never see a nickel's worth of difference between them.... including their respective barrel life-spans.

I answered the post "just in case", but REALLY believe that it's just poking some fun.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

The 32 WS is a cast bullet shooters dream. The slow 1-16 rifling twist will allow you to shoot full pressure and velocity loads with sterling accuracy.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I have never gotten a break on price because of it being a .32w.s. and I have a few of them both rifles and carbines. in fact I paid pretty good for a round barrel rifle with the odd smokeless sight on it.

I bought my Wincester 94 Carbine in 32 WS special a few years ago from Griffin and Howe of all places. It had been on their website where it stayed for many months unsold. When they moved it to their sale table, I bought it for $300.00. It came with a Lyman receiver sight and a well installed recoil pad. It was made in 1959 and it had ever been fired, I could not tell it.

30/H335 under the 170 grain GC RCBS bullet is a full snort load that shoots clover leaf groups at 50 yards and under 2 inches at 100 yard. The recoil pad is nice as it ads a little length and this thing has some stomp to it on both ends.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 02-25-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    A shooter could use the chamberings alternately and never see a nickel's worth of difference between them.... including their respective barrel life-spans.
    My reference material:
    Speer No. 10 reloading manual. 32 Winchester Special. Description page. Again read in Speer No. 11 manual. Enjoy your your enlightenment.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Cag40Navy View Post
    Im a young guy with a 32 Win Spl. It was my grand dad's... Now im looking for more brass. Mines a Win 94.
    Should we tell the young guy that he can use 30-30 brass to make 32Win sp. ?

On Heaven's Range

My reference material:
    Speer No. 10 reloading manual. 32 Winchester Special. Description page. Again read in Speer No. 11 manual. Enjoy your your enlightenment.
    So, do you believe everything you read? How about quoting the write-up so we can all see what claim Speer may have made?

I don't happen to have a Speer #10 on hand. Sure is strange, though, that your "reference" flies in the face of many decades of EXPERIENCE by thousands of handloaders as well as shooters, and I don't really much care WHAT Speer may have printed years ago. Manuals are not Holy Writ, nor are all authors free of error or personal opinion.

My own "enlightenment" on this issue has been ongoing for some decades, using the .32 Special in my own shooting. For you (OR Speer) to claim a substantial difference in barrel life between the .32 and the .30-30 is simply nonsense. Even if there WAS a difference, the .30-30 would be more likely to have a shorter lifespan than the .32 due to its faster twist and smaller diameter.... but for practical purposes there is no real difference.

Either cartridge will survive THOUSANDS of rounds with jacketed bullets, and very, very few hunting rifles will ever see enough shooting to "wear out" a barrel in normal shooting. Neglect will "wear out" barrels more than will actual shooting in the hunting fields.

My state of "enlightenment" is just fine the way it is, and I need no assistance in this matter.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    Well I stated my reference material. Whether you accept the info or not is OK. I've still gained a little ground as is. You no longer can say weren't told BruceB.~~~ Have a Good Day Gents.

Boolit Grand Master

This is the biggest line of BS I have ever read in a manual. BruceB has it right. Speer does not.

Boolit Master
    Oh boy! After reading that excerpt, I now remember reading it years ago. I think I understand what the author is saying but it certainly doesn't apply to serious cast bullet students or serious reloaders who know what they are doing. IMO, a silly and gross oversimplification based on a bunch of erroneous assumptions. If that were true on its face value then my various 150 year old 32, 40, 43, 44, 45, 54, 58 and 69 caliber rifled muskets and BPCRs can't possibly shoot!

If anything, as has been posted, given equivalent bore care, equivalent loads and ammo consumption... the 32 will outlast the 30, albeit by probably a small insignificant degree.

As to the OP. While the demand for the 30-30 may be higher than the 32 among the less serious, "just grab a cheap deer rifle and go" crowd, I think the $premium for something like a top condition pre-64 Win 94 32 WS is a bit higher than that of a comparable 30-30. Two different markets.
    Last edited by fouronesix; 02-25-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    This is the biggest line of BS I have ever read in a manual. BruceB has it right. Speer does not.
    It seems like some of the authors who preface the load in question, in the manuals, tend to rant on about things without much substance. Same goes for 'it should have bee still born", "Has wounded as much game as has harvested", etc. Hearing it once from an uncle around the pot belly stove doesn't make it a fact.

It seems pretty rare that a hunting rifle for large game gets shot out. Most of the time it's neglect.

I have been reading that same crock of nonsense off and on for 60 years. It is just one of those myths/old wives tales that somebody puts in print and somebody else repeats it and so on and so on. Even gun writers and load book editors who should know better are not exempt from this kind of stuff. Folks without experience read it and will swear it is true because so and so said it or they read it in such and such, when it fact it has never been true.

The 32 WS offers a smidge more power than the 30 WCF and some folks might think that is important. However any critter done in with one or the other won't know which one did the deed. As to a 32 caliber 1-16 twist barrel wearing out sooner than a 30 caliber 1-12 twist barrel that is just utter nonsense. Yet folks who don't know better, will swear it is true because they read it somewhere. This should not surprise anybody because there are folks who still think the earth is flat and man descended from monkeys.

The genesis of this notion seems to come front another myth about the 32WS which is it was designed for folks to shoot black powder if they wanted and the rifling was shallow to keep the barrel shooting when fouled with black powder. Therefore the shallow rifling would wear out quickly and bullets would rattle down the barrel. Neither of these assertions which comprise the foundation of the aforementioned myth are true.

Winchester designed the 32 WS to shoe horn some more power into the 94 platform. The buyer would have to step up to the 95 to get more power and many did not want to do that because the 95 cost more and was heavier to tote in the woods. In short Winchester though they could sell more rifles with the 32 WS added to the 94 lineup.

Whatever was the reasoning of Winchester, for us cast bullet levergun loonies, latching on to a good 32 WS is like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

The 30 WCF was always going to be the favorite because it was a 30 caliber. The US military first adopted the 30 Army (30-40), then the 30-06, the 30 Carbine and the 7.62. This love affair between the military and the 30 caliber was guaranteed sales to civilians of 30 caliber rifles.

Here is a link to a good article about the round written by Mic McPherson. I consider this to be definitive.

http://www.levergun.com/articles/special.htm
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 02-25-2014 at 06:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    To answer the original question, it's all about ammunition availability. Factory 32 special is just harder to find, so many people pass on it. Thats all to the good for the old timers who recognise the calibres worth and reload for it.
    "Investment" is the new "Throw money at it!"

Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents!
    Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Dframe View Post
    To answer the original question, it's all about ammunition availability. Factory 32 special is just harder to find, so many people pass on it. Thats all to the good for the old timers who recognise the calibres worth and reload for it.
    Ammo companies load what sells. Which came first the chicken or the egg?