Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Marlin 1895 sights 45-70

Marlin 1895 sights 45-70

What I have read that the factory sights aren't the best. Is this set up good for my new Marlin, XS ML-0013-5 Ghost Ring rear with front sight. I seen one on Ebay for $82.95. Need info on where else I could buy this set up. Also I think I seen some where that someone makes a blank to fill in the factory rear sight dove tail. Any info would appreciated. I haven't shot it yet, I did cast up some 350gr gc and 405gr gc. to try.

Boolit Master
    Brownells sells dovetail fillers...both steel and aluminum. They're pretty cheap. They might also sell the sights you're looking for.

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Brownells sell both a front/rear kit as well as individual components so you can order what you want. If you do order from them, get yourself a rear ghost ring peep that is threaded internally. You can use it as a ghost ring and it will also accept Williams aperatures. If you find out that your bbl is not clocked correctly (front sight is not at top dead center), XS sold me a clockable front sight to correct it. Marlin occasionally turns the bbl in either too far or not far enough to get the headspace correct which misaligns the front sight to the receiver. It's not evident with the bbl mounted factory rear sight.

I have read about the clocked barrels. I been holding my breath it's ok. I know mine don't have JM stamp on it, bought it a few months ago.

Banned

I like most everything from Skinner. Marlin is his main deal. Where he started.

Boolit Mold
    I have skinner sights on my two Henry's love them. Put the xs sight's on my Marlin guide gun 45-70. This winter for Xmas I got a Nikon 2x7 scope with QR scope mounts. so I can change from thick stuff to open shooting. eye relief was good. great set up.

Boolit Master

Lyman Model 66 for 1895 or 336

I don't know what your plans are for the rifle, but if you are going to experiment with different weight boolits and fire them at different ranges, you may want to consider a sight that is easily adjustable for most any weight of boolit and range. If your Marlin is tapped for a receiver sight such as the Lyman Model 66, you'll have no trouble installing either it or the Williams version. It is also a simple task for a good gunsmith to drill and tap the two required screw holes for either sight if your 1895 is not drilled and tapped.

Here is the Lyman sight on a Marlin 1895. It allows for fast elevation changes by slipping the elevation slide as well as 1/4 MOA clicks for both elevation and deflection. You'll appreciate the windage capability when shooting the 45/70 at extended ranges in the wind.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    My Marlin 1895 wears XS rear ghost ring, large aperture, and white stripe front. Love the set up and very accurate at 100 yards.

I totally agree with Scharf on this one. A Lyman 66LA is the way to go unless you are only going to shoot one load at hunting distances. Then any sight you can set and forget will do.

The Lyman sight gives you the ability to make precise changes quickly and then go back to where you came from quickly and actually have the sight repeat it's original position.

The only kicker is actually getting one, and by that I mean an older STEEL one as opposed to the new Aluminum ones. Other than some one here the only place I have seen them is on Ebay and there is usually one or more on there every week. I paid $100 for the last one I won. Well worth the price! Don't wuss out and buy a new one, they are not the same as they used to be!

I have 4 Marlin Rifles and two have Lyman sights and two have Williams sights. The two with the Williams Sights are my 1894CB .44 mag and my 1895CB .45-70. These guns are going to get the sights off my 336,.30-30 and my 39A, neither of which need the adjustability feature that the Lyman sights have.

I had to drill and tap the receiver of the 1894 when I installed it, and will have to Drill and Tap the receiver of the 1895 before I install the Lyman sight on it. Not a big job and once you have done it a few times it becomes much easier.

Both of these guns are used for Cowboy Silhouette shooting so the ability to change the elevation setting quickly is a worthwhile feature to have.

The other guns will get either the Williams Sights or maybe a Skinner style sight. They both don't require any kind of rapid adjustability since they are guns that get used at relatively close distances. IE: the .30-30 is for hunting at <150 yards, and the 39A is a 100 yard gun at best. With the 39A sighting dead on at 75 yards is 1" high at 50 yds. and 3" low at 100, and will cover the entire spectrum of it's shooting .

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 03-02-2014 at 05:58 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I like the Lyman sight too and have some on Marlins. I also have another sight I like on my Marlin 45/70. I don't know who made it though.
    I bought it from a member of CB from Canada. He had made a couple prototypes and was going to offer them for sale.
    It is a receiver mounted sight like the Lyman but sight adjustment works on a cam that is calibrated to a specific load. Cams were available for different loads. Its all steel and a stout well made sight.
    When he offered these he showed a target in his advertising that was fired from a 375 win in a Marlin ( I think). He had fired a shot from
    10 yard intervals and each time turned the cam one click which is 10 yards. The final target as I recall had 20 shots in a very nice group each shot fired from a different range out to 200 yards which is the max setting on the sight.
    I bought one of the first and maybe only because shortly after he seemed to have disappeared. Too bad because it is a nice sight that I would highly recommend.
    If pressed I can maybe get up a pic of mine. Maybe someone else will pick up the torch on this sight.

XS sights can be purchased by individuals directly: www.xssights.com

When changing sight mounted in a ramp, like on your Marlin 1895, be sure to solidly support the ramp while driving the old sight out or the new sight in, upon pain of damaging the ramp or shearing off it's attaching screw(s).

An alternative to a commercial dovetail slot filler blank would be to fashion your own custom filler blank from the male dovetail section of just about any old longleaf rear sight.