Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8mm XCB

Banned

8mm XCB

Ok lets discuss the 8mm XCB, I am going to start with the 8mm-06 as a start, I would love some geniuses input here.

Joshua

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Actually, I like the idea myself. My preference would be the stock 8 Mauser case but with the neck length of the 30-30 for deep seating purposes. Why, because my barrel would have zero freebore with 3 degree total throat, and twist commensurate with the primary boolit shot. My primary boolit would be the RCBS 180, so my twist would be 16 with 3 to 7 lands, each 0.005 in height with a rounded junction to the groove at normal angle. ... felix

I don't know what you are really asking because your case selection is already designed very well. ... felix
    felix

Love Life
    I just don't see what the 8mm XCB gives you that the 8X57 in a purpose built rifle wouldn't.

Boolit Grand Master
    It gives a longer neck and a different throat. A customer reamer could do the same on an otherwise stock 8 x 57 case by moving the shoulder a touch.

Biggest trouble with a custom reamer is getting a sizer that works.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Banned

Don't you use the same reamer on a blank die set that you use to do the chamber. I thought that was how you did it.

Banned

I would be happy with a 8mm-06 standard made, if it were to be changed I would like the shoulder set back .075 to make a longer neck. But that is if we HAVE to play with the cartridge.

Bonanza-Forster loves that kind of work. Send them the reamers. ... felix
    felix

Banned

Ok, I just looked in my loading manual, the 8mm-06 will push a 220 gr bullet to 2500 fps. That is exactly the performance I am looking for.

Do we need to change the design or should we just call this good? I know an easy way to make a *slightly* longer neck is to use 270 brass.

You got the case size you want in the standard 06. Why not use it without "qualming" about it? Remember, a lead boolit will shoot faster than a condom, suggesting the 06 size is slightly large. Hence, the stock German case size, or the XCB size. Do your own extrapolations. ... felix
    felix

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    You got the case size you want in the standard 06. Why not use it without "qualming" about it? Remember, a lead boolit will shoot faster than a condom, suggesting the 06 size is slightly large. Hence, the stock German case size, or the XCB size. Do your own extrapolations. ... felix
    I ask for the ideas of other people smarter than I because I do not know everything, ya know I dont see a need for smart **** remarks.

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think it was a smart **** comment, I think Felix was saying to think about it and the realities become rather obvious.

If an 8 mm 06 does 2500 with a 220 jacketed and lead would go faster then Felix is telling you it is too much case. Go with a 8 x 57 or the XCB case to reduce powder capacity.

8 x 57 eliminates all troubles in case forming, dies, etc. the XCB gives a better neck design and throat but requires some case forming. It would allow a tighter neck, use a neck turner, and get more preside bullet alignment.

So, what do you want and what are you willing to do?
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post

It would allow a tighter neck, use a neck turner, and get more preside bullet alignment.
    Neck turning gets old. Just get a match chamber cut correctly and you will be fine unless you are competing in legit benchrest.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post
    I ask for the ideas of other people smarter than I because I do not know everything, ya know I dont see a need for smart **** remarks.
    Hhmmm . . . Read through this post and thought I missed something. Went back and read it again so at least I now know that I did miss something, dunno what but I must have.

I just didn't see anything even close to a smart **** remark.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Neck turning gets old. Just get a match chamber cut correctly and you will be fine unless you are competing in legit benchrest.
    Agreed. Just that some enjoy turning. Weird.

Banned

I am sorry for being nippy, and I openly apologize to Felix, as fas as case forming I enjoy that kind of thing, so I will go with a 30 XCB necked up with no further changes. That will allow all the speed necessary and will be a proven design.

Now Tim, is the reamer a removable pilot or fixed reamer? If removable is it possible to use it to make the 8 XCB?

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Agreed. Just that some enjoy turning. Weird.
    That is weird...unless you CBRick's awesome and amazing case prep contraption. I don't want to get off topic though.

I can see the benefits of the longer neck in the cartridge, and I hope it shoots really well.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 338RemUltraMag View Post
    I am sorry for being nippy, and I openly apologize to Felix, as fas as case forming I enjoy that kind of thing, so I will go with a 30 XCB necked up with no further changes. That will allow all the speed necessary and will be a proven design.

Now Tim, is the reamer a removable pilot or fixed reamer? If removable is it possible to use it to make the 8 XCB?

The 06 reamer used for the 30 XCB won't cut an 8 mm neck. Pilot size doesn't matter for neck size.

For 8 mm XCB you need an 8 mm 06 reamer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    That is weird...unless you CBRick's awesome and amazing case prep contraption. I don't want to get off topic though.

I can see the benefits of the longer neck in the cartridge, and I hope it shoots really well.
    I forgot about that prep center. Now I'm drooling again.

Jesse Dresler in Oregon has done a short 8mm on a BR or 308 x 1.65 case ( can't remember the details) it was not any adbantage over a short 30 and was.abandoned.Roy Smith's 338 Manx on a 1.5"(or so) .473 head diameter case was a success and should be revived.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Banned

I think a 8mm-08 case with a 3006 length neck would be perfect for this. It should be way more efficient than a 8-06 Plus it would work on a short action. You could use 7x57, 8x57 brass if you have it. Or 3006 if you really want to do a lot of case work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast