RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other Hobbies: Looking for someone who knows antique radios

Boolit Master
    My dad is 98 years old.Ten or fifteen years ago he could have that old radio up running like a top.Today he sit in a nursing home and is not real sure what day it is.It is a shame what old age does to a person.

Two years ago I had to clean out his house so it could be sold.I filled up a 22 cu Yard dumpster with radio parts and equipment.I threw 1000's and I mean thousands of radio tubes still in the original boxes away because I could not find any one that wanted any of the old radio stuff.I wish you could have posted this 2 year ago,I could have fixed you up on any parts especially tubes you might have needed free for the asking......Terry

Moderator Emeritus

All the info you need including a schematic http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_35ap.html 1928 build date AM broadcast only. Nice looking radio, I have had a few antiques over the years but I prefer ham radio gear. Restoring a Drake TR4 right now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Yes, original caps are the hardest part to find. Keep the value up as original.
    You don't put NOS caps in a radio because you would gain absolutely nothing doing so because the age would be the same as those being replaced.

What you do is purchase NEW caps that are the same capacitance as those that are old. A trick when re-doing an old metal capacitor is to gut it and remove its sections and replace with new caps and retain the original metal housing as the original look.

With respect to tube value... so have value such as the 45 tube as an example. Junking an old radio is a last resort in my opinion because MOST can be rebuilt for very little money and the result is something that can be enjoyed again and passed down to your children.

In my opinion the old AM radios have a special appeal because some of us grew up listening to the stories at night.

Banned
    http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...2/M0040872.pdf

Here is a schematic you can actually read and print off.

As you can see its very simple and a good starter piece.

Has a lot of #27 tubes in it and they are easy to find on ebay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12