Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Good is Good Enough?

Boolit Mold

How Good is Good Enough?

I know this might seem like a simple question but....

I cast for all my handgun loads (.380, .357/38, .44, .45) and use a good mix of wheel weights for each. I quench my bullets as well. Whatever I cast seems to shoot without problems in my handguns and my loads do not seem to produce any leading. Accuracy seems good.

My question is.... How perfect are the bullets you cast? Unless mine have a significant void or dent I just size, load, crimp and shoot. I do not weigh my bullets either. That means I load a lot of imperfect bullets. Ironically, I measure every powder load on a scale, keeping the powder for each round as uniform as I possibly can.

I am an informal target shooter and shoot at 10, 25 and 50 yards. Other times I just plink for cans and steel plates.

I wish there was a way to know how much a certain imperfection impacts the path of a bullet.

I shoot for enjoyment, not for perfection. So how perfect are your bullets? How perfect do they need to be?

Happy shooting!

Boolit Master

Mine are perfect enough to do what I expect them to. I expect them to shoot better than standard store bought, in multiple guns and at a lower cost. I don't remelt very many back down. Only those that for whatever reason didn't completely fill.

If they fly straight and hit hard, that should be good enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to be really fussy about perfect boolits. I stopped with pistol boolits. If it has good fillout and a good base, it gets loaded and fired.
    I was spending way too much time fretting over the boolits. Rifle boolits are more critical. I spent an afternoon once testing boolits, perfect boolits and not so perfect boolits got fired from a rest at 50 feet. I had groups that were near identical. Sometimes the targets with perfect boolits were the best, and sometimes it was the other way around. At 25 yards, the boolits with flawed bases were a bit more obvious.

flawed boolits from the '03 Springfield had biggger groups at 100 yards. At 200 yards it was obvious. Better boolits obviously shot better.
    This is with open iron sights and my 57 year old eyes.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    I usually wasn't too fussy as I won't claim to be a crackshot. Did weigh my boolits and inspect them and went and shot them to see if things got better. Nope

Some of my rifles, I will visually inspect them when sizing, but thats about it.

Boolit Master
    Handgun- cast, visual for obvious imperfection. Lube size shoot.
    Rifle- cast, visual inspection, check diameter, weigh, lube size shoot

I don't get crazy weighing boolets. If I can see a defect it goes back in the pot other wise I shoot them. They must be all wright as I get groups I'm satisfied with. If I was shooting competition I would start weighing them.
    Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live or die on this day. Live or die on this day.

Boolit Master

I'm sorta fussy, but not anal. My boolits have to have good, square bases, even the GC ones. They need good fillout in the loob groove area. And I would be embarrassed if anyone were to see one of my loaded cartridges whose boolit had folds showing, so those get recycled. But.
    I don't weigh my boolits, nor do I weigh my powder charges. Once I have the measure set, and checked, the charges go from measure to case, to be covered immediately with said boolit. I throw my pistol charges with a Pacific/Hornady Pistol Powder Measure, if I'm not using the Dillon.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Sadly all my work is capable of better accuracy than this shooter can achieve.
    I'm very near sighted in one eye. Using open sights on a rifle I can just make out a paper plate at 100 yards. I need to try using my off eye.
    I have benign essential tremor so good enough for hand gun is a paper plate at 50 yards. Tin cans are in danger though.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If it's good enough for what you're doing then it's good enough . I tried to get fussy with an old Cramer hollow point mold for a thirty caliber rejecting any minor flaw then weighing the rest . The I tried shooting the "scraps" at reduced range with a minimal load ....... Accurate enough for pest control to fifty yards or so with "scrap" . I still do save the really nice ones for faster speeds and longer range .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Unless the base is totally out of whack, for my pistol rounds, it goes down the tube. My Sharps bullets are scrutinized more; however, they are not bench rest rifles but I do load only the ones that are very good.

Boolit Master

Square bases and bands are required for me. I only weight sort my 22cal boolits, it shows defects that I miss in visual sorting alone and got rid of my fliers.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Bub
    If it comes out of the mold and it boolit shaped I shoot it. Dents in the driving bands are just more crevices for tumble lube

Boolit Master

When you're satisfied it's good enough.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I'm pretty picky. They need to look exactly like the inside of the cavity or I'm not happy.

If it is blasting ammo and it resembles a boolit then it gets loaded. For the non blasting ammo the only ones that I have weighed have been the 22's. Not sure how much it help cuz I got side tracked durring that project. The rest of the boolits go through the visual inspection and then sizing lubing. I started casting so I could shoot more. Maybe some day I will see if I can better my groups but for now 1.5-2" at 100 yards for rifles is fine with me. I am mostly shooting them freehand anyway.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Grand Master

I've always said perfect is close enough!
    Charter Member #148

NSP64 summed it up well.
    Don't distress much over run of the mill pistol bullets... if they're well filled out and bases square, you're good to go.
    I am more fussy about my rifle bullets , giving them the inspection noted for pistol bullets plus weight segregating +/- .5 grains then combining mini-lots into logical +/- 1 grain quantities to maximize yield.
    I also size and lube .002 over bore, the finish with JPW/LLa tumble lube.
    OCD over kill, yes... but with great accuracy and NEVER a trace of leading...
    I also clean and treat with Ed's Red (with acetone and lanolin) after each session, and again before eash session.
    Micro Groove and Ballard rifling shoot equally well, so long as the alloy is hard enough and the velocity reasonable.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for your responses. I don't feel so bad now. Most of my shooting is 25 yards or less with my handguns and honestly I didn't think being anal about the perfect boolit would tighten my groups or increase my scores that much. I think I'll just spend more time shooting, enjoying myself!

Shoot Often, Shoot Safe & Enjoy!

Love Life
    Pistol: If the blob of lead falling out of the mould sort of resembles the cavity then I load and shoot it.
    Rifle: Haven't matched jacketed performance so the cost savings is nowhere near worth the time spent working on it.