RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your wife's favorite load.

What's your wife's favorite load.

I am not going to be nieve, I bet there are plenty of woman out there that do there own casting and loading. I just want to hear what you are loading for your wife/girl for target shooting or hunting. Special purpose loads are a plus.

Here is "Mama's load"
    .38 special
    Lee 105 swc
    3.0 gr. Bullseye
    Light roll crimp in front groove.

This is a very light and accurate target load that doesn't beat up her aluminum charter arms pink lady. She can hold 3" at 25 ft. all day long.

Boolit Grand Master
    My wife isn't picky. She shoots what I hand her, she knows I won't play games and do something stupid to prove how manly I am.

What she does hate load wise is a load of bull.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Not sure, I can't get her out shooting. She just doesn't care to shoot so I don't push it on her. I wish she did for her own protection but it is what it is.

My girl is showing a renewed interest now that I got the 300 blk Handi rifle. She likes it and as soon as the weather breaks a bit we will be out shooting. I'll start her off on some light subsonic loads to get her going. I know she'll like it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh, forgot my daughter. She will shoot anything. Full bore 44 mag, no problem. 300 gr full loads in 375 H&H, no problem. She has always trusted me and if I hand it to her she will shoot it.

In my mind nothing is more important than developing a level of trust. Once this trust is developed never, ever do anything to mess it up. Women don't like that.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Oh, forgot my daughter. She will shoot anything. Full bore 44 mag, no problem. 300 gr full loads in 375 H&H, no problem. She has always trusted me and if I hand it to her she will shoot it.

In my mind nothing is more important than developing a level of trust. Once this trust is developed never, ever do anything to mess it up. Women don't like that.
    My wife will also shoot what I hand her. This was just a load I worked up to her liking for casual plinking.

45 ACP. 200gr SWC with 3.5 grains of trail boss. She calls them "bunny farts". Runs 650 f/s out of my Clackamas Kimber. When I got a new Range Officer last year, she declared the Kimber to be her 45. The next time she throws down 2 grand on a sewing machine, I tell her the old one in mine! Oh well, it's all hers someday.

I let her shoot my 500JRH BFR with 440 gr and 7 gr of TB going only 680 fps. Pulled the trigger and her arms went straight up in the air. She looked at me, smiled and handed the gun back. I got it on video.
    Last edited by pal82; 02-23-2014 at 01:21 AM.

Banned

Mine looked at me the other day after shooting a cylinder full of midrange .38s through her .357 Smith snubby and told me she preferred the full-house .357s, and would I keep loading those for her. She can't stand the slightest irritation with her clothes or shoes, but has always been pretty insensitive to recoil or muzzle blast. She doesn't flinch, either, even when shooting larger-caliber handguns. I'm just the opposite. Full-house loads for her.

Gear

Boolit Master
    4.5 gr power pistol under a 401-170tc , she went through my guns held them all and said that one felt the best so I made a lighter round for it , she shoots it quite well , but she has never felt a full 40S&W round , it is a full sized gun and with the light rounds it really is quite pleasant.

she doesn't want to come along very often , if she had the interest I would take her to the store and let her pick out her own , but then again she likes how this one fits her hand so she might just want the same thing.
    Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02-23-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Boolit Master

Both wife and daughter plink using the same as yours except 3.0gr Trail Boss.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

The ones that go boom! First date I handed her my Mossberg 500 with high velocity 4 shot and a full choke one cycle through and she was hooked the problem is getting her to let me shoot sometimes
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

Mine has a tendency to say its her favorite no matter the handgun or load at the time. She likes full standard power pistol ammo best.

She don't like 12 ga 3" mags though. She also gets annoyed when magnum rifle shooters setup all around us when A-she is shooting for accuracy & B- there are other benches available not right next to us. She will take a break and I will return the annoyance to the magnum rifle shooters by dumping mags of 308/223 continuously when they are trying to shoot. I always like to setup a bunch of shoot n c circles past their targets just to show them you don't need a magnum rifle for short range plinking. Why have a thunderous magnum rifle then only shoot it 1-200 yards, silliness.

Moderator Emeritus

She shoots anything I load, she just can't leave a box half full.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

My wife does not like recoil. With the .22lr situation I found her a nice S&W 4" model 10. Using M&P's HBWC's, about 141 grs, and a light load of bulllseye she looks forward to shooting.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Master
    Pretty much anything------Ruger "Only" loads in her 45LC Blackhawk.

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
    First date I handed her my Mossberg 500 with high velocity 4 shot and a full choke one cycle through and she was hooked the problem is getting her to let me shoot sometimes
    If there were more first dates to the range, we would have more women in the sport. Second date, you could ease her into some reloading. Could be the perfect marriage!

I had to use pretty boolits to lure in my better half. She seems to like these mild 38 special (Lee 125gr with 3.0 gr of clays.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38 012.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	97529

Boolit Master
    My wife won't go shooting...claims she wants to "someday". After over 20 years, I know it ain't happening.
    i don't go shopping for clothes and shoes with her, either.

Boolit Buddy
    My Sweetie has a pre 64 30-30 she got from her dad. I asked her why she never took it out and shot it. She is really recoil shy. Thanks to this site I learned about 10 grns of Unique and cast boolit loads. With some 31141's she says she really likes her 94. She also keeps a close eye on her coffee can of .38's 358156 over 5 grns Unique that feeds her model 10 Smith.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    My lovely wife of 42 years only showed an interest in shooting a couple of years ago. She hates loud noises and heavy recoil - as well as semis that throw brass. I started her out with my vintage Ruger Super Bearcat and now it's hers. But, with the cost / availability of ammo - I'm looking at maybe getting a Cimarron "Lightning" - the 32-20 / 32 H & R combo. For the plinking we do, I think it would be a "fun gun" and something she might like to shoot with plinking loads. Until I find one, I'm going to order one of the Lee 358-105-SWC molds and pretty much go with the OP's combination of BE and the 105 gr. I have a nice 4 inch pre 15 Combat Masterpiece that I think she'd be able to shoot with just fine.

I tried for years to get my wife to shoot and she had no interest. I'm glad she's finally wanting to do it and it's enjoyable to read that a lot of other women are joining their better-half . . . a great way to spend time together!

Boolit Bub
    My daughter likes handguns. I have not given her any magnums. She has taken a few rides on an m.p.-5 subgun and yes, she loved it!

Mark#35

3.5 gr be with 158swc

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast